Installing Walbro carb with choke on mower without choke cable

I have a Toro 20055 walk-behind mower with a Briggs Quantum engine that uses a carb with no choke (or maybe some "auto" mechanism I can't see). This is a clean version of the original carb:
1718917110208.jpg

I have a replacement on hand, but it has a choke. Can I just wire that open to get the same result? Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question. I really dislike working on small engines, but my local experience with alleged "small engine mechanics" is quite poor. I think they know less than I do. This would be easier with fuel injection. :)
1718917091404.jpg

In theory, yes. In practice, maybe. They may be jetted differently enough that you won't get good results, but go for it if you can't find a proper replacement.

Before primer bulbs there was some extra linkage that put the choke on when you put the throttle all the way ahead. This was on the pre quantum flatheads. Look up the parts list for the engine and it might show different linkage setups that accommodate the choke.

I think you're going to need more parts. Obviously put it together and see if it starts, but I think you'll need something to hold it closed/ open. Could be as simple as a rubber band. You'll also need something for the Deadman control if you're messing around down near the motor.

I think you're going to need more parts. Obviously put it together and see if it starts, but I think you'll need something to hold it closed/ open. Could be as simple as a rubber band. You'll also need something for the Deadman control if you're messing around down near the motor.
I had thought I'd just use some steel wire to hold it open, or some epoxy around the base of the lever.

You can buy a generic throttle cable kit, and hook it up to the choke. Since you have the choke mechanism, it would be good for it to be functional.

I'd go with the steel wire so it's reversible. The primer bulb should work.

The original (no choke) has a small extra port in the intake flange for the primer bulb. The primer won't work on the choke one.

Back