Install Filter Using Cap Wrench? Rubber Strap?

I prefer installing spin-on filters without tools, but some filter mounts are awkwardly positioned, preventing a good grip on the filter. Can the filter be damaged by tightening to the correct specified tightness using a cap wrench? How about a rubber strap wrench?

My cap wrench is slightly too large, so I'll have to line it with a paper towel. Would this make damage more likely? Perhaps I could line it with a ring of electrical tape, producing a perfect fit. Has anyone tried that?

If this is an oil filter size you'll be changing regularly why not purchase the proper size cap wrench? To answer your question the correct tightness required for an oil filter is not enough to damage the housing and you should be able to MacGyver your way with either of your stated methods.

If this is an oil filter size you'll be changing regularly why not purchase the proper size cap wrench? To answer your question the correct tightness required for an oil filter is not enough to damage the housing and you should be able to MacGyver your way with either of your stated methods.
I agree. I'd buy the right tool for the car, especially if I planned on keeping the car and doing my own oil changes.

Use the proper tools. With that said I have never come across a filter that couldn’t be installed by hand and I have owned a couple of vehicles that required contortionist actions to screw the filter on.

If this is an oil filter size you'll be changing regularly why not purchase the proper size cap wrench?
I'd buy the right tool for the car
Use the proper tools.
Generally good advice, I agree, but if the job can be done well without risking damage and without purchasing a new tool, that constitutes another acceptable solution, no?

I have never come across a filter that couldn’t be installed by hand and I have owned a couple of vehicles that required contortionist actions to screw the filter on.
Sometimes the filter is easy to reach, but one has to rely on fingertips, rather than full hand grip. Not always easy to get 3/4 turn with fingertip grip.

I've been changing oil for over 50 years on all kinds of, mostly my own vehicles, and could always get proper tightness with one hand or both hands with some fingers of each. Then again, my years of wrenching experience often doesn't require a torque wrench all that often either=you get a 'feel' for those things.

my two Triumph filters can ONLY be accessed with tools, mark filter + 3/4 turn past contact of the oiled gasket. hand tight is fine but peoples hand strength varies a LOT!!! like gorillas that strip bolts, saying i only snugged it!!

Would be very hard to damage the filter but using such tools risks getting the filter too tight and difficult to remove. Thus, get a tool that fits so you can get it off the next time

I agree with PimTac. Never came across a filter I couldn't get in by hand. Getting them off was another matter.

The correct tightness is the correct tightness regardless of install method.
The same can be said of the incorrect tightness.
I kinda like the idea of marking the filter, if you are not sure.

Good luck.

I only tighten the filters by hand. Once it stops spinning freely, try to get a rubber glove or a trick read somewhere was to use a rubber mouse pad for better grip and turn the filter another quarter turn.

For the Caravan I use get the filter housing started by hand, and then tighten with a socket and ratchet and slowly tighten it . Once it gets hard to turn, I probably try for another 1/4 turn or so looking at the gap between the o-ring and filter housing.

I've never had leaks installing filters this way.

What kind of car is it?

I've never encountered a filter mount where the filter couldn't be tightened by hand. Spin-on oil filters should be tightened by hand only.

I prefer installing spin-on filters without tools, but some filter mounts are awkwardly positioned, preventing a good grip on the filter. Can the filter be damaged by tightening to the correct specified tightness using a cap wrench? How about a rubber strap wrench?

My cap wrench is slightly too large, so I'll have to line it with a paper towel. Would this make damage more likely? Perhaps I could line it with a ring of electrical tape, producing a perfect fit. Has anyone tried that?

My 2012 Cummins is similar... My arms just aren't long enough. I used a strap wrench through the fender well with no issues. I bought the right filter socket and use this to remove and install. Just don't over tighten it because you have a tool on it!

Just my $0.02

Use Denso oil filters and you won't have to be concerned with installation. They have a torque-stop feature. You tighten till the torque-stop contacts the block and that's it. And no matter what some forum members say, they are well made and as good as anything on the market.

Use Denso oil filters and you won't have to be concerned with installation. They have a torque-stop feature. You tighten till the torque-stop contacts the block and that's it. And no matter what some forum members say, they are well made and as good as anything on the market.

Interesting,first I've heard about the torque stop feature.

If there is a torque spec... cap adapter plus torque wrench.

Otherwise, put 4 marks on it, so you know the 3/4 turn after gasket contact, as Fram does (or did) with their filters.

Install filter wearing a clean nitrile glove for grip. Problem solved. Problem staying solved.

Generally good advice, I agree, but if the job can be done well without risking damage and without purchasing a new tool, that constitutes another acceptable solution, no? ...
Yes, if you're confident you can do it without damaging the filter. Some tools may dent or scratch it.

Correct torque, regardless of method, is just tight enough that it won't leak.

Yes, if you're confident you can do it without damaging the filter. Some tools may dent or scratch it.
I wondered if a cap wrench, lined with a paper towel, damages the filter upon "slipping" over the flutes. I'm not referring to scratches, but rather possible bending of the metal, or otherwise distorting the fluted area. (Yes, I know, use the correct tools, etc. Nevertheless, a reasonable question.)

Also, has anyone experienced problems using a rubber strap wrench to install a filter? Metal ones tend to crush the filter.

Back