Insane motel room prices

I know someone who booked their room a month in advance for a concert at about $250 /night. They then received a call from the hotel about a week before the concert saying the room was repriced to $800 /night and they could rebook at the new rate or have the room cancelled and the charge refunded.

Seemed kind of unethical to me but apparently the hotels have it in the fine print when you book.
If supply/demand increases the rate to $800.00/night-that means something is going on in the city. Good luck trying to rebook in the same city at a reasonable price.

The cost of motel rooms has gone beyond ridiculous. It's gotten to where you can't even get a flee infested dump for less than $200 a night. This is one area where prices have gone up far beyond the inflation rate. WTH is driving these insane price increases? My wife and I love to travel, but these prices make traveling far too expensive...
Have you figured what you did wrong based on the replies thus far........?

If supply/demand increases the rate to $800.00/night-that means something is going on in the city. Good luck trying to rebook in the same city at a reasonable price.
I agree, and that's one of several reasons why I think it's wrong to cancel existing bookings. You can charge whatever you want for your services, but to cancel existing customers just to make more money? I don't know about that.

Last edited:
I agree, and that's one of several reasons why I think it's wrong to cancel existing bookings. You can charge whatever you want for your services, but to cancel existing customers just to make more money? I don't know about that.
If it was me-that hotel would lose a customer for life. Assuming of course you would be going through that city again.

True that, inflation is driving it like everything else I imagine. Wages went up, utilities, taxes, etc. I have used nearly all the sites, orbitz, hotels.com, etc. I have found I get the best deals on the Priceline app.
I will use one of the third party sites to find motels, but I call the motels directly to make reservations because you can't change your reservations, or get other discounts if the reservation is made through one of the third party sites...

Have you figured what you did wrong based on the replies thus far........?
I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm not new to searching for and booking motel rooms, I know all about booking as far in advance as possible, and all of the other typical booking actions. I think it has more to do with the areas I'm trying to book in...I can tell you I haven't stayed in a room that hasn't been well over $100 a night in several years...

I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm not new to searching for and booking motel rooms, I know all about booking as far in advance as possible, and all of the other typical booking actions. I think it has more to do with the areas I'm trying to book in...I can tell you I haven't stayed in a room that hasn't been well over $100 a night in several years...
OK-so basically you were flustered and came on here to vent because where ever you wanted to stay-you couldn't find a room for the price you wanted to pay.

Tell us-when and where was this proposed stay?

Please tell us "the rest of the story".....

If you book a few weeks out, three nights at the Courtyard by Marriott Detroit/Pontiac/Auburn Hills is $100 per night. You just have to visit the right places.

I have done the NY to Florida trip and back for years and last year the room in South Carolina that previously cost $79 for the night was $129. It will probably be more this year and if so I'll take a snooze in the car and proceed on. These aren't 5 star hotels but more like 2 or 3 star places complete with an odor of curry in the lobby. I really believe that along with inflation being out of control there is a little bit of "why not" going on.

My last 4 stays this year, all in Marriott family
properties, had nightly prices all in of:

Columbia, SC $164
Charlottesville, VA $309
Columbus, OH $190
Orlando $197

Nothing special going on in any of these destinations.

I did just have a 4 BR Airbnb for Bengals-Bills in Cincinnati for $878/night but that was to be expected with the game and walkability to the stadium.

I think the days of $100 hotel rooms are behind us. Maybe you’ll find some motels and some 2 star type hotels in random locations for low $100s.

He doesnt want an answer or help. He wants to rant. That is the OP's common post type.
He leaves out any info that makes it relevant.. like its top secret.
Kind of like the guys on here who say "that question has been asked before" or "use the search function". Why post if you can't help the OP.

There's a lodge in the Clifty Falls State Park that I really enjoy staying in. It is located in Madison, Indiana and is built on a bluff overlooking the Ohio River.

I thought it might be fun to stay there on New Year's Eve....until I saw the rate of $330 a night. Normally, their river-view rooms go for around $160 a night.

He doesnt want an answer or help. He wants to rant. That is the OP's common post type.
He leaves out any info that makes it relevant.. like its top secret.

I don't believe the OP asked anyone for help, yet for some we're reason dead set on giving him step-by-step instructions for his next booking. The OP is only stating his experience, and I don't believe anyone has the right to tell him his experience is somehow wrong.

My view? Yes, hotel costs have seemingly risen well above inflation. They are getting hit from every angle - increased property taxes, increased costs of labor and goods, increases in property insurance, rising interest rates, etc. All of this goes directly to their customers. In my area, rooms that were $80-100 a few years ago are $150 on a random Monday.

Last edited:
I posted about staying at a low priced motel a few months ago here, and people were saying they don't exist anymore,

Well, it looks like its' still under $50 today, https://www.choicehotels.com/iowa/waterloo/econo-lodge-hotels/ia003/rates

• Haha
Reactions: GON
Kind of like the guys on here who say "that question has been asked before" or "use the search function". Why post if you can't help the OP.
Like your reply? Maybe you could answer why you replied...

No help is possible or wanted with the amount of information given it would seem. Therefor the only interaction is to agree or disagree.
I disagree I havent paid an insane amount or anything approaching $200 a night
Now trying to get downtown pittsburgh hotel on sat night.. meh. wait.. I got one free the other day :ROFLMAO:
Spent 3 days in Gettysburg for $440
4 days in a nice room with a full kitchen near cincy for $290
etc.
The OP says 200+ for a MOTEL.. that's red roof inn, super 8 or worse to me.

He stated
you can't even get a flee infested dump for less than $200 a night
and people are refuting what he believes is factual.

My last 4 stays this year, all in Marriott family
properties, had nightly prices all in of:

Columbia, SC $164
Charlottesville, VA $309
Columbus, OH $190
Orlando $197

Nothing special going on in any of these destinations.
Anything in the $150 range, +/- $25 seems typical at any given time. Google results for "marriott hotel charlottesville va" gives me results from $103 to $197 for a night a week from now. Almost certainly something was going on that made the rate over $300. That rate for Columbus is pretty high and not normal. Are these the rate after adding taxes, fees, etc ?

Back