Input requested on selecting a new Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and QSUD ... all great choices for KIA/Hyundai. Castrol Magnatec is also another great oil that many suggest would be a good choice for KIA/Hyundai vehicles, especially during startup.

In the base-oil quality, PPPP (without Ultra) 5W-30 beat Schaeffer's 9000 5W-30 by a huge margin, BOQI = 53.9 vs. 40.9, respectively. So, there is no competition there. Expect similar numbers for 5W-20. See my BOQI list.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
In the base-oil quality, PPPP (without Ultra) 5W-30 beat Schaeffer's 9000 5W-30 by a huge margin, BOQI = 53.9 vs. 40.9, respectively. So, there is no competition there. Expect similar numbers for 5W-20. See my BOQI list.

Isn't base oil really just a small part of the equation? Can you really say theres "no competition" without factoring in any of the other stuff that goes into motor oil?

Quote:
So your claim is they can reject you with Schaeffers but not PP or Mobil. Come one, do you honestly believe your [censored]?

Just how many high volume dealerships did you work for? Did I mention any oil in particular, or even oil for that matter? I said some service writers can be real ball breakers. Why give them a chance? Yes I did see cars sit and wait for warranty approval because non-approved items were used. Some were OK, some denied. Your call.

FTR I like Pennzoil and Mobil products, if Schaeffers meets the spec, or Castrol meets it, or any other brand for that matter, go for it. I also used the word 'if'. 'If'
Pennzoil and Mobil don't meet the spec, pick something else.

Quote:
Not to drift OT but I was recently reminded of a Honda customer being denied a claim on a knocking engine, he had a K&N air filter on it.

I don't have to work in a dealership to know that I'm not going to let some service writer push me around if I have met the spec for oil type. Whatever happened to going above the service writer's head should he be so clearly out of line. Now the K and N filter? Sorry but it didn't meet the spec of the OEM design and should sit.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^

I hope you never have a problem. You can go all the way up the chain to the owner of the dealership if you can find him. If you do he'll tell you he's waiting on approval from the automaker before he starts repairs or replaces your engine. He wants to get paid. You could contact the oil company and ask them for help, see how that goes.

People come here for advise, it's easier to use a spec'd fluid that meets the mfg's approval, while under warranty. That's all we were saying here. What are the odds of it happening? Slim to none, but it can and it does. My K&N example was one of quite a few more memorable problems I witnessed.

Remember the service writer's car and the owner's cars aren't the cars with the problem, [I heard that line quite often, I used it a few times too when people got out of hand], The people I worked for could care less about someone going over their head. That was one of the many reasons I left.

The oil spec for this car is API SM or higher 5w20 5w30 10w30. Shouldn't be too hard to do better than that. Heck it would be hard to do worse aside from maybe oils that are flagged by PQIA.

but the spec is not a brand...its an API specification. Does Schaffers meet the spec ....or not? The K and N didn't, I would have to assume.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
but the spec is not a brand...its an API specification. Does Schaffers meet the spec ....or not? The K and N didn't, I would have to assume.

Contact them and see if it is on Kia's list of approved oils. Or contact Kia and ask them.

OT- K&N must have had problems over the years, as if we didn't know.
wink.gif

https://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Contact them and see if it is on Kia's list of approved oils. Or contact Kia and ask them.

wink.gif

have a nice night.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

wink.gif

have a nice night.

You too....

Schaeffer 9000 API SN HTO-6 and a few others. However I haven't seen a bottle so I can't say if it carries a starburst or not. Shouldn't be a warranty concern based on the oil. Considering Super Tech from Wal-Mart meets the spec required by the owners manual.

So your claim is they can reject you with Schaeffers but not PP or Mobil.

What he says is plausible. A service writer can give you a hard time for whatever reason they cook up. Whether or not it stands up when it goes up the line, even a little bit, is another matter altogether.

As has been pointed out time and time again here, generally, if the oil is looking clean and the filter doesn't look like it went through a war, that's good enough evidence the car was maintained. But, that's not always the case, obviously.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll definitely look into the Fram Ultra Oil Filters vs the Purolator.

At this point I'll likely go with the Schaeffer's 9000 due to it being cheaper than the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Maybe I'll do a few UOA's on each and see which I permanently settle for.

Southend, if I were you I'd do what I wanted, like someone said, as long as it wasn't flagged by PQIA. most modern oils are API approved and rated SN/RC . I personally think WIX filters are the bomb , I have a ford and it has MC945 .... numbers all it means is it SN/RC oil. Don't let these service writers get in your head , they're not going to do a Oil analysis on your car if you bring it in . As for filters do some research and stay away from cardboard endcaps , all filter companies also go by OE specs .

Have fun with your new car .

And P3 flyboy check your PM

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak

What he says is plausible. A service writer can give you a hard time for whatever reason they cook up. Whether or not it stands up when it goes up the line, even a little bit, is another matter altogether.

As has been pointed out time and time again here, generally, if the oil is looking clean and the filter doesn't look like it went through a war, that's good enough evidence the car was maintained. But, that's not always the case, obviously.

Thanks, you got my point. It wasn't about Schaeffers oil, it was a general statement, echoing someone else. Maybe going forward I should suggest when someone asks which oil they should use in a new vehicle or something under warranty a reply something like this: Use whatever oil you want, you have a warranty if something goes wrong they'll cover it no questions asked no matter what.
wink.gif
That would be real fun.

The OP made his choice, Schaeffers is a fine oil, I doubt he'll have any issues with the oil at all.

I would go with QSUD. It's a good-quality syn, available at Wally in 5-qt jugs for a good price, and will easily handle your 7500-mi OCI.

I'd go with the Pennzoil. Also, just to clear up confusion caused by Puro bashers, their top tier oil filters never had any tearing issues. The PSL never tore, and nor has its successor, the Boss. If you want to use a Purolator, go with the Boss. Fram Ultra's do have better filtering efficiency, however, I've always had problems with their seal gaskets swelling up causing them to be difficult to remove; both I and my father could not remove the Fram Ultra from my truck by hand, and getting a filter removal tool into the filter area on an 01 F-150 is pretty much impossible. Therefore, the filter is on its second OCI at the moment, and I'll need to take it to a mechanic the next time I get my oil changed so they can remove it. Anywho, I'm not saying to not use a Fram Ultra, but I'm just saying that in my opinion they become terribly difficult to remove.

I wouldn't have an issue with the Purolator top tier filter (or the top end filters they make for others). Finding them up here would be a bit problematic, though, to say the least.
wink.gif

It's the middling to entry level stuff that is a concern.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I wouldn't have an issue with the Purolator top tier filter (or the top end filters they make for others). Finding them up here would be a bit problematic, though, to say the least.
wink.gif

It's the middling to entry level stuff that is a concern.

Yep.

Couldn't you order a Boss on Amazon though, or is it difficult because US to Canada reasons?

Amazon Canada is expensive, generally speaking, and Amazon proper is very picky about what they send. As it stands, it's hard to compete with a Wix under $9 or a Baldwin for $5. From a trade perspective, made in the U.S. Purolators can be ordered duty free up here, assuming the retailer actually wanted to play ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back