Input on 2014 Dodge Challenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

harbor

Site Donor 2024
Anyone have any experience with lower line Challengers with the Pentastar V6?
Lease up on my 200 ragtop in a few months and am considering one of these for my DD.
Don't need the Hemi, RT or SRT8, just looking for good transportation with decent MPGs and a reasonable lease rate.
Thanks guys.

If size doesn't matter, for a coupe, my money would be on a Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS. Really fun handling and fuel efficient.

I'd also rank a V6 mustang ahead of a base challenger. Ford's V6 at least has long term reliability proven already. You could also be in Focus ST3 at the same price point as a base challenger. That has heated leather recaro seats, 6 speed manual, and 250 hp turbo 4 for a haggled 26k or less.

I'd get the Charger with the 8 speed instead. Great mpg, probably handles similarly in everyday conditions. My folks, lifelong GM owners, rented one to drive 8 hours and really liked it.

Originally Posted By: kam327
I'd get the Charger with the 8 speed instead. Great mpg, probably handles similarly in everyday conditions. My folks, lifelong GM owners, rented one to drive 8 hours and really liked it.

I was going to say the same. I don't know if you like the looks better of the Challenger but the Charger gets 4mpg more.

Had them as rentals a few times. They're fairly roomy cars since it's the Mercedes E-class platform. The V6 is a bit underpowered IMO, and the visibility is poor. It's one of the few retro-styled cars that I actually like, even after this many years.

The pentastar and 6spd auto moves our big, heavy box-o-metal 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan quite impressively.

Never drove a new Challenger, but I can't imagine it being a total dog with a Pentastar under the hood.

I'd do the Challenger or Charger. I've driven all of the ones mentioned in this thread so far,and I'd stay away from the newest V6 Mustangs. Gotta have the V8 and GT/track package with one of those. The V6 Challengers have alot of power imo,and feel really sturdy and solid to drive.

Doesn't the V8 have displacement-on-demand? That seems like the sweet spot: tons of power and the right sound, but good gas mileage.

This suggestion is kind of out there, but if large is the goal, what of a Ram 1500 quad cab V6 8 speed? 25 highway and you could haul stuff if needed.

Grand Caravan with that same Pentastar.Make believe its a Challenger with command seating,excellent visibility and a huge "trunk".

Originally Posted By: kam327

Pssst, they're all the same basic platform! Charger, Magnum, and 300 are LX, Challenger is LC. Nearly identical, same powertrains, just minor differences in equipment.

And these days you get TWO V8's with MDS. Both the 6.4 and the %.7 now have vvt and mds (unless a six speed stick Challenger, then they disable it. But the hardware remains in place).

Fine choice that makes a lot of folks happy.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I don't think I'd want a Challenger without a V-8.

I agree! I would love an R/T with a nice sounding catback exhaust. Beautiful car that you could easily live with as a daily driver, unlike a lot of sports cars you don't fall into this one, and it's got a ton of space in the cabin and trunk.

Originally Posted By: dareo
This suggestion is kind of out there, but if large is the goal, what of a Ram 1500 quad cab V6 8 speed? 25 highway and you could haul stuff if needed.

The 25 MPG highway in the Ram 1500 is only for RCSB 2WD's. It goes down from there in Quad Cabs and if 4WD is added.

The Challenger is the only real muscle car left. Both the 'Stang and the Camaro are trying to toe the line as a GT/Sportier Coupe. For that alone, out of the three, the Challenger is my favorite but I would never own any of the three unless it was an early vintage.

I think the sleeper in the Chrysler ranks is the Dart. Mostly a re-badged Alfa to a lesser extent but with a "softer" American-oriented suspension and a few other bits. (Kinda stinks as a true Alfa trim would be great). Despite the "Americanization" it is a fun car and it is economical. The manual is available across the range if you care about that but finding one might be a bit tougher due to dealers shying away. Might be a bit harder if you want a confortable cruiser but it might be the best Chrysler in a while.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
unlike a lot of sports cars you don't fall into this one, and it's got a ton of space in the cabin and trunk.

This is the reason! Long ago I got tired of slipping into a car like it was a shoe. Get a Challenger (LC) or a Charger/300 (LX) up in the air sometime and look at the chassis. It's truly a car with far more content than the 'pony' cars.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
The Challenger is the only real muscle car left. Both the 'Stang and the Camaro are trying to toe the line as a GT/Sportier Coupe. For that alone, out of the three, the Challenger is my favorite but I would never own any of the three unless it was an early vintage.

I think the sleeper in the Chrysler ranks is the Dart. Mostly a re-badged Alfa to a lesser extent but with a "softer" American-oriented suspension and a few other bits. (Kinda stinks as a true Alfa trim would be great). Despite the "Americanization" it is a fun car and it is economical. The manual is available across the range if you care about that but finding one might be a bit tougher due to dealers shying away. Might be a bit harder if you want a confortable cruiser but it might be the best Chrysler in a while.

The original concept of the pony car was that it was meant to be kind of a mix of traits between a sports car and a muscle car. The Mustang and the Camaro have always been considered pony cars, rather than pure muscle cars. I would argue the same for the Challenger, but don't care enough to do so.

I totally find the Challenger appealing for similar reasons though, handling that actually feels reminiscent of older muscle cars but still competent enough compared to modern vehicles. I admit that I frequently check the pricing on used SRT-8s on Autotrader. Maybe one day I'll have enough cash to pull the trigger.

For a car to get around from place to place I think the Challenger beats the Charger, Mustang, and Camaro easily. The Mustang and Camaro are awful to try and see out of. I've never been a fan of cars that make the driver peek out of little slits. The Charger is better in that regard but compared to the Challenger feels a bit barge-like. I'm talking base model, of course.

I like them. The Pentastar is quiet and smooth, and very easy to do an oil change on. Fit and finish is very good. If I was in the market for a new 2 door car, the Challenger would be at the top of my list.

I agree on the Charger instead..

Better MPG, 8 speed auto, and more room.

If I were to own a Challenger, it would no doubt be a Hemi with a 6MT trans. But thats just me. The Charger is fine in V6 trim with auto trans, as it's more of a family hauler than the Challenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back