Injen dry cone air filter vs Amsoil Ea?

Hello,

I have been using a K&N cone air filter on my old Corolla 1999 Japanese version, 4AFE engine for several years now. I am not interested for now, in going back to the OEM setup, since I already have things setup for these types of filters, including the current battery size, so I don't want or need to go back to OEM filter. I have never had any problems with this setup in over 10 years.

I want to replace my current oil K&N it with a dry cone air. I like what I've read so far about the Injen Technology SuperNano-Web dry air filter. But my only confusion is, that some people talk about it as if it is made by Amsoil. It does not say anywhere on the Injen website that it is made by Amsoil. Later I found another dry cone air filter, which is on the Amsoil website, the product number is EaAU3051 . They seem to have the same blue filter media, but the design is different. The tops of the Amsoil Ea Universal filters are cutaway. Amsoil calls these filters EaUA, I don't know what they stand for. I looks like both are great filters in terms of filtration, because of their filter media technology. I see people on these forums talking great things about this filter technologies, but when they say those great things about them, I don't know if they are referring to the Injen one or the Amsoil one?

Right now it is easier for me to buy the Injen Technology, since is more readily available for me, than the Amsoil one.

Injen Technology product number X-1014-BB:

M198652299

Amsoil EaAU product number EaAU3051:

EaAU3051.jpg

Those two are the direct replacement for my current K&N cone filter in terms of size/dimensions...

So what would be the main differences of these two air filters?

Thanks

Last edited:
some people talk about it as if it is made by Amsoil. It does not say anywhere on the Injen website that it is made by Amsoil.
I'm not sure if Amsoil makes any "hard" parts, only lubricants. Their filters are almost certainly made by someone else and gets their name put on it. Companies almost never acknowledge who manufacturers their products either (when they don't make it themselves).

I'm not sure if Amsoil makes any "hard" parts, only lubricants. Their filters are almost certainly made by someone else and gets their name put on it. Companies almost never acknowledge who manufacturers their products either (when they don't make it themselves).
I think there Air Filters are made by Donaldson.

Thanks for the replies!

Do you think both the names Injen Technology and Amsoil blue color dry air filters could be made by Donaldson?

Also I don't get it why some sellers are calling these blue color air filters ''Injen/Amsoil...''

Maybe call Injen? They seem to be nice people. They make a quality product. Ive had their dry filter on my wife’s Nissan Juke for 100k+ miles. I shopvac / blow it off every year or 2.

Maybe call Injen? They seem to be nice people. They make a quality product. Ive had their dry filter on my wife’s Nissan Juke for 100k+ miles. I shopvac / blow it off every year or 2.

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I just sent them a email about it this afternoon, we'll see about their answer in the next few days...

Do you also have a conical blue color dry filter on your wife's Juke?

I was afraid that those conical type filters would not be good at filtering as the stock OEM ones, because of what some people in this forum like to claim. Sometimes those claims are the ones that make people like me, that were all chilled and enjoying their conical none OEM filter, become all paranoid like I did.

I was thinking, that I have had this K&N conical one for several years and have not noticed any problems. A lot of people that I've read on this and other forums use them on their everyday normal cars and they even do the UOA and did not report any extra silicone levels or problems.

I heard that this Injen or Amsoil dry conical filters, supposed to filter even better than the oil K&N ones, so I guess I have nothing to fear about filtration quality.

At this point, I think I am better off staying with conical type air filter, than to pay someone to help me re arrange the whole battery/alternator cables, plus with the size of the current battery that I use now, since I updated my alternator and battery size long time ago. This could also mean to have to buy a new battery and the one I have in only a few months old. I tried one day to see how the old OEM air filter assembly would fit and I think it is too close to the larger battery and it won't fit. I like my larger battery, I need it for my aftermarket stereo, I love the sound of this aftermarket stereo that I had for years.

If I just order a new air filter to replace my very old and oily K&N, it would be the easiest task to do, one of the easiest replacement things I have ever done. But if I decide to go back to OEM it's going to cost me and will also be a huge pain in the butt.

So this would be one of the few situations where it would not be convenient for me to ''stick to OEM'', so that is why I am so curious about these conical dry filters...

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I just sent them a email about it this afternoon, we'll see about their answer in the next few days...

Do you also have a conical blue color dry filter on your wife's Juke?

I was afraid that those conical type filters would not be good at filtering as the stock OEM ones, because of what some people in this forum like to claim. Sometimes those claims are the ones that make people like me, that were all chilled and enjoying their conical none OEM filter, become all paranoid like I did.

I was thinking, that I have had this K&N conical one for several years and have not noticed any problems. A lot of people that I've read on this and other forums use them on their everyday normal cars and they even do the UOA and did not report any extra silicone levels or problems.

I heard that this Injen or Amsoil dry conical filters, supposed to filter even better than the oil K&N ones, so I guess I have nothing to fear about filtration quality.

At this point, I think I am better off staying with conical type air filter, than to pay someone to help me re arrange the whole battery/alternator cables, plus with the size of the current battery that I use now, since I updated my alternator and battery size long time ago. This could also mean to have to buy a new battery and the one I have in only a few months old. I tried one day to see how the old OEM air filter assembly would fit and I think it is too close to the larger battery and it won't fit. I like my larger battery, I need it for my aftermarket stereo, I love the sound of this aftermarket stereo that I had for years.

If I just order a new air filter to replace my very old and oily K&N, it would be the easiest task to do, one of the easiest replacement things I have ever done. But if I decide to go back to OEM it's going to cost me and will also be a huge pain in the butt.

So this would be one of the few situations where it would not be convenient for me to ''stick to OEM'', so that is why I am so curious about these conical dry filters...
Yeah it’s the blue nanotech or whatever they call it. The Synthetic dry filters are supposed to filter as good as OEM.

So I just receive the reply from Injen, here is a copy of their email:

Injen Technology Contact Reply
------------------------------------------------------------------------

We produce all of our own filters in house. We used to have a
partnership/agreement with Amsoil in the past (long before I got here),
but that is no longer. All kits are produced in house though

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I will be happy with an Injen Technology dry air filter. I ordered one from Amazon for $59 shipped. I think it is a fair price and in my current car setup it is an easy "plug and play". I think I am going to be fine with it and I guess I can safely say that I trust it's filtering capabilities...

I have to admit that it was hard for me to decide if I was going to use this type of air filter or go back to OEM. I even placed the order on Amazon and then cancel it, for this cone dry air like three times. I went for a K&N the first attempt, but then thought I don't want have an oiled filter any more. Second atemp was for an AEM dry cone filter and then I settled for the Injen dry cone filter.

IIRC the Amsoil filters have a finite service life and are only cleanable by shop air or vacuum.

I would choose the Injen, or perhaps an aFe of the same size.

IIRC the Amsoil filters have a finite service life and are only cleanable by shop air or vacuum.

If I am not mistaking, the Injen is also cleaned only by shop air or vacuum. I read that the service life is around 4 years or 100k miles, just like the Amsoil.

If you can get the AMSOIL filter then get it. They are no longer making air filters and once the stock is gone that is it.
Yeah the Amsoil was gonna be my first choice, but I could not buy on Amazon, which is the website that is convenient for me to order online. So I went with the 2nd best choice which is the Injen. Although on the Amazon product description it also says Amsoil, but maybe it's a typo.

I know the drop-in ones with the Donaldson media were designed with a limited lifespan in mind. Not sure about the K&N style ones though.

But from what I have being reading, the Injen and the Amsoil are very similar in materials. They seem to have the same filter media and both have the velocity stack, which I don't know if it's kind of a gimmick or does it really help with anything.

I am happy that there were solid options for a cone or conical filters, in terms of filtration. I have never had a problem with my current K&N one that I am aware off, but I am tired of the special cleaning and oiling, that they say can only be done with their products. Also I fear that the K&N one might not be at it's best filtration.

These other two options the Injen and Amsoil, seem like a great option for those who also care a lot about filtration.

Last edited:
But from what I have being reading, the Injen and the Amsoil are very similar in materials. They seem to have the same filter media and both have the velocity stack, which I don't know if it's kind of a gimmick or does it really help with anything.

IIRC, AMSOIL has sold at least three different types of filter with their name on them. Original was a foam filter, then they went to the Donaldson synteq media in a conventional style filter, they offered a few "universal" filters in that style and I THINK their present universal filters are a dry media like AFE.

Back