Inflation and dirt

Went to Home Depot and bought bags of composted dirt for the gardens, went from $8 a bag to $11!!
Dirt is subject to inflation??? or is it just another excuse to extort the consumer?? Sure transportation costs
are up as is labor but the product itself can't be subject to inflation so $3 a bag when they sell them by the 1000's.

EVERYTHING you purchase is effected by inflation. The person selling that dirt has to make a living...and the products they purchase are increasing. To maintain their buying power, they must increase their prices.

Simple economics...

Everything is going up. Also check that dirt closely especially if it states it has composted material in it. A lot of companies are adding paper and cardboard to their dirt. Some will have wood chips and other products. A cheap dirt will be loaded with the stuff.

The price will go up if the seller can sell it at a higher price. The cost of inputs really don't matter, usually, when setting the price.

necessities are well needed but many things can be NOT bought if you REALLY have financial issues. i can afford TV but think its not worth it after football season so its OFF! weather is getting better so LOTS more to do OUTSIDE!! as noted big business WILL gouge until nobody buys!!

Home Depot and Lowes are no longer “discount” merchandiser’s now that they ran the small businesses out of business.
It’s the corporate operation method for everything Consumer right down to your X local used to be drug store

Just bought an 8 foot ladder at Ace Hardware at a lower price than the above mentioned. Same ladder, same brand

Home Depot and Lowes are no longer “discount” merchandiser’s now that they ran the small businesses out of business.
It’s the corporate operation method for everything Consumer right down to your X local used to be drug store

Just bought an 8 foot ladder at Ace Hardware at a lower price than the above mentioned. Same ladder, same brand
X2. Alarmguy's first sentence is spot on, HD kept their low prices until they ran all of the small local companies out of business and until they trained us to run to HD for eveything that we needed. But now that that's happened, they're out to make big profits.

I looked at at bag of fertilizer and HD and it was $23. The same brand and same weight bag at Ace HW was less than $10. Krylon spray paint was also about $2.50 per can cheaper at Ace.

X2. Alarmguy's first sentence is spot on, HD kept their low prices until they ran all of the small local companies out of business and until they trained us to run to HD for eveything that we needed. But now that that's happened, they're out to make big profits.

I looked at at bag of fertilizer and HD and it was $23. The same brand and same weight bag at Ace HW was less than $10. Krylon spray paint was also about $2.50 per can cheaper at Ace.

Yep.

I hate HD and go to ACE even if I have to drive further.

Dont forget during the Covid lockdown the small mom & pop hardware stores were forced to close…… but Home Depot and Lowe’s had 400 cars in their parking lots.

Last edited:
Buying a bag of topsoil is like buying real-estate.
And we all know they're NOT making it anymore.
Eh, you can make your own topsoil pretty easily doing some composting yourself... I think buying a bag of dirt is bit of a luxury convenience and I can see how HD sees this as a product that has lots of profit potential.

Isn’t the price of dirt the definition of “dirt cheap”?

Just shows the value of the dollar now.

Went to Home Depot and bought bags of composted dirt for the gardens, went from $8 a bag to $11!!
Dirt is subject to inflation??? or is it just another excuse to extort the consumer?? Sure transportation costs
are up as is labor but the product itself can't be subject to inflation so $3 a bag when they sell them by the 1000's.
I mean...yeah? It doesn't just manifest on the shelf. It has to be carried, it has to be trucked, etc. Also consider that each bag of dirt carried/lifted carries a small chance of causing a workman's comp incident, which also must be accounted for, etc. People think simple stuff is cheap. Not in America. Not anymore.

If you think dirt is expensive then check out the prices on fertilizers.
Yeah, I used to put Milorganite on my lawn but not anymore because it has over doubled in price in the last 3 years. It is made from sewage, so I doubt the price of the main component has increased.

Back