Inflation and dirt

Yep.

I hate HD and go to ACE even if I have to drive further.

Dont forget during the Covid lockdown the small mom & pop hardware stores were forced to close…… but Home Depot and Lowe’s had 400 cars in their parking lots.
You know?
Now in the coastal area of Calabash/Sunset Beach, NC Home Depot and Lowes is a pretty good trip, 15 to 20 minutes from our house.
I have an Ace Hardware that is local and I am amazed how busy and robust with merchandise it is. I love going in there, I find myself going isle to isle just to look around. I guess I was always in more populated areas and even though I was in Ace stores in the past never really thought much about it and always defaulted to HD or Lowes... now Ace is the default for sure. Its a real hardware store and when I need something, anything, from ladders to lawn products I dont have to walk past isles and isles of flooring, carpeting, appliances and lumber that I dont need to find the stuff I do need.
This ACE is like WOW, love it, just beautiful and easy to find everything including nice workers. The only thing I dont like is the parking lot is crunchy for such a busy place.

Another shout out for Ace. If they have it at close to, at or below, will buy from them just to help them remain in business. Great staff, always helpful and knowledgeable and willing to help problem solve. Seems I find myself there sometime during the day on most weekends.

Best of all you don't have to buy 20 of something small. You can still buy just one or two! And there's a human at checkout and minimum wait time.

If you think dirt is expensive then check out the prices on fertilizers.
YES!!! I know!
What's up with that!?!? I typically will go with store brands but for certain specific uses, I will occasionally use Scotts (lawn starter as its high in Phosphate) and BioAdvanced for pre-emergent weed and crabgrass control. When I cant find them in store brands or if the cost is close.
ANYWAY, the prices have gone nuts! *LOL* I just applied Scotts Starter Fertilizer yesterday. I was in a rush and wanted high phosphate as we are in our new home now as of two weeks ago, and of course new home, new sod. Either way I typically use high phosphate once or twice a year.
Anyway, didnt want to bother looking too hard for the store brand this time, paid $35 for a 5000 sq ft bag... I couldn't believe it but I knew the prices went through the roof some time back. Even the store brands although cheaper are still as much or more as the name brands used to be. I was tempted but not thinking to pay the almost outrageous price of $74 for a 14,000 sq ft bag which now I maybe regret because I will be putting a lot of phosphate the first year.

YES!!! I know!
What's up with that!?!? I typically will go with store brands but for certain specific uses, I will occasionally use Scotts (lawn starter as its high in Phosphate) and BioAdvanced for pre-emergent weed and crabgrass control. When I cant find them in store brands or if the cost is close.
ANYWAY, the prices have gone nuts! *LOL* I just applied Scotts Starter Fertilizer yesterday. I was in a rush and wanted high phosphate as we are in our new home now as of two weeks ago, and of course new home, new sod. Either way I typically use high phosphate once or twice a year.
Anyway, didnt want to bother looking too hard for the store brand this time, paid $35 for a 5000 sq ft bag... I couldn't believe it but I knew the prices went through the roof some time back. Even the store brands although cheaper are still as much or more as the name brands used to be. I was tempted but not thinking to pay the almost outrageous price of $74 for a 14,000 sq ft bag which now I maybe regret because I will be putting a lot of phosphate the first year.

My wife uses a lot of Osmocote fertilizer because she puts up a lot of potted plants. The price of it has more than doubled since last year so we changed to another brand.

Some potting soil makers used to put the fertilizer right in it as a selling point but that was yesterday. Most are skipping on it to keep prices reasonable.

You know?
Now in the coastal area of Calabash/Sunset Beach, NC Home Depot and Lowes is a pretty good trip, 15 to 20 minutes from our house.
I have an Ace Hardware that is local and I am amazed how busy and robust with merchandise it is. I love going in there, I find myself going isle to isle just to look around. I guess I was always in more populated areas and even though I was in Ace stores in the past never really thought much about it and always defaulted to HD or Lowes... now Ace is the default for sure. Its a real hardware store and when I need something, anything, from ladders to lawn products I dont have to walk past isles and isles of flooring, carpeting, appliances and lumber that I dont need to find the stuff I do need.
This ACE is like WOW, love it, just beautiful and easy to find everything including nice workers. The only thing I dont like is the parking lot is crunchy for such a busy place.
Must be nice. Our ace sucks.

Back