Inexpensive source of Moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At one time VSOT was a relatively inexpensive source of moly. But now i'm reading that it's been reformulated and the moly content is not that high.

How can i get a high moly content without spending a lot of money??

Someone mentioned Exxon Superflo's higher moly content. And that sounds like a good place for me to start.

(Because my little honda consumes a lot of oil, cost is an important factor. It adds up quickly. I'm not buying quarts of Redline simply because they won't last that long. It is not worth it for me to spend the $$$ on Redline.)

Another problem i'm having is the availability of thicker oils. I can get good prices on 10W30s and10W40s at wallyworld. But they often wont carry the same oil in a 20W50. (I mix 10W40 with 20W50)

thanks again to everyone who's provided useful information
patriot.gif

Schaeffers is loaded with moly. It's about $5 to $5.50 a qrt. if that's not to high. Great oil.

Quote:

skate, you are totally wrong about redline!!!! amazing the rumors

Tommie,

I just googled red line motor oil. I saw it being sold for almost 9 dollars per quart. So it seems that it is relatively expensive like i thought. (Certainly expensive for someone who might go through a quart per week.)

Please tell me what am i 'totally wrong' about.

Why do you feel moly is best for you?

Do you realize there are a pile of vehicles with 300-400-500K that never seen much...if any moly in their lifetime?

Triple,

There was a guy Larry on here a while back. His 4rth generation civic was pushing 400K. He named Redline as the one oil that helped w/consumption. Some BITOG people say Moly is good for reducing blow by. Honda people speak well of moly.

My 4rth gen civic was burning a bit when a got it in 1999. I'm not going to get around to re ringing the engine this weekend.

I'm just looking for a better band aid to use before i get around to fixing my car. Everything else is running exceptionally well.

(by the way i'v already gone through the whole gammet of smoke color, restorer, Auto RX, Pcv, valve stem, etc, etc, etc)

Moly gives you added protection and acts as a backtop when oil is not present, is an excellent anti-oxidant, and proven friction modifiers.
It makes oil better.
Take the right moly with the correct balance and I think you will make any engine oil better.

Quote:

Quote:

Is moly better than zinc for non-roller cam protection?

Anyone have any thoughts on this...please?

Wouldn't say it's better, but the two in combination could be better (or as good as) elevated levels of zinc on it's own. MPZ = moly,phos,zinc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back