Inexpensive 1/2" 250 FT LB Torque Wrench?

I am looking for an inexpensive 1/2" torque wrench that will torque up to 250 ft/lbs.
It will only be used occasionally. I have a few situations where I need to apply more than 200 ft/lbs of torque and the torque wrench I have only goes up to 150Ft/Lbs.
Any recommendations?

Since you only need it occasionally.
Rent it from Autozone or part store when you need it? You pay when you pick it up then refund when you return it.

Amazon has a few under $100 but most look like they are 20-22" long so at 250 ftlbs you are going to bust a gut getting there and that is their max value so accuracy will probably fall off. If the torque is not critical you might look at a torque stick for an air impact wrench.

Edit: Never mind, I could not find a 1/2" drive stick that went that high.

Last edited:
If you weigh 250 lb, just use a breaker bar, put your hand at the 1 ft mark, and put all your weight into it!

Seriously, though, the Tekton wrench will be your best bet, as @JeffKeryk and @vavavroom said. I have their 3/8 wrench and it performs well.

I got a Sturtevant on ebay for about $30 shipped. It's about 50 or 60 years old, but in very good condition. It must have been very nice when new.

For the sort of use you need it for either one of these should do the job pretty well. The eTORK is a Norbar knockoff but decent for the money, I don't own one but do have the Norbar and compared it to one, they did a reasonable job although it is not for pro use.
The torque adapter allows you to use it with ratchets and breaker bars, it may be a good option for you.

Thanks,
I like the idea of the digital adapter, since I could use it to check my less expensive smaller torque wrenches and use adapters to scale down to 3/8" and smaller length bars if space is an issue.
My concern is the bulkiness, but I would mostly use this for torqueing a few axle nuts, so space is not a problem there. A little concerned if it might be awkward to stay perpendicular to the fastener at 225 ft/lbs torque.
Considering that this will primarily be used only a few times for torqueing the axle nuts, I like that it might serve more purposes than these few applications.

It will work fine for axle nuts, just use it as you would an extension, it will buzz when the torque is reached, yes it is more versatile. That may be your best bet for what you need.

Back