Independent Insurance Agent no help.

I'm trying to be more diligent with insurance costs and hope to check prices once a year. I've never tried an independent agent so found one locally, got in touch and gave her our info. They have around 2 dozen companies so I was hopeful they might save us some money. Surprised when the auto/property quote came back $300/year higher than we pay State Farm now. She was unapologetic and made no effort to explain why.

I see Dave Ramsey has some sort of referral service for insurance agents, has anyone used it?

You may have picked the wrong one.
I've dealt with my share of jerky agents over the years.
I've fired more than one, and have walked away from several.
They need me more than I need them.
However, it may be that SF has the best rates in your given area for your demographics.
I'd try another independent agent with a different mix of companies.
Nothing to lose, and everything to gain.
I'd have no problem with trying Ramsey's referral service. Give that a shot.

Sorry, if I’m repeating myself, there’s so many insurance threads I may be. This is one you may want to try out it’s impossible state to state even county to county within states variables can be so great so you really can’t compare, but you can compare to yourself.

I have found them great now for a few years in a row and I check rates at least two times a year. However, I only use this company for my cars. My boat and motor cycle is progressive and up until we sold our house that was with travelers.
Anyway just a suggestion, there is no one perfect rate fir ant household to compare to another

Oh, and by the way, my policies are robust, especially with the liability portion, which is almost the maximum in every respect, which includes under insured and uninsured motorists with maximum liability amounts

If this true for people you know-they should educate themselves on how to deal with Insurance Companies. I have found the "proper wording" to the "proper people" avoids court. And most states have laws that allow you to take your car to the shop of your choice.
I’m dealing with this right now. I’ve given the proper wording to the 100% at fault party because their insurer wants to only pay their direct referral rate, not my shop’s rate. One of my main claims has and will be that the insurance company is steering.

Their insurance (progressive) has stated plainly by durable comms that they will not pay more. Standard I guess is to file with my insurance co as an uninsured/underinsured claim, but frankly that doesn’t resolve anything as insurance companies are about the worst thieves out there and will find reasons to raise rates.

If this true for people you know-they should educate themselves on how to deal with Insurance Companies. I have found the "proper wording" to the "proper people" avoids court. And most states have laws that allow you to take your car to the shop of your choice.

Then kindly school us on the “proper wording” to the “proper people.”

I’m dealing with this right now. I’ve given the proper wording to the 100% at fault party because their insurer wants to only pay their direct referral rate, not my shop’s rate. One of my main claims has and will be that the insurance company is steering.

Their insurance (progressive) has stated plainly by durable comms that they will not pay more. Standard I guess is to file with my insurance co as an uninsured/underinsured claim, but frankly that doesn’t resolve anything as insurance companies are about the worst thieves out there and will find reasons to raise rates.
Had this happen to me in a minor accident with a party who was insured by Geico. I filed with my own insurance company-the claim was later settled with Geico for 90%-had no ill effect on my insurance.

The 2 examples above are why I don't even look at Geico or Progressive.

Filled out the forms for the Dave Ramsey referral, got an instant response and scheduled a time. No idea where the agent is located.

Their insurance (progressive) has stated plainly by durable comms that they will not pay more. Standard I guess is to file with my insurance co as an uninsured/underinsured claim
File the full claim with your own insurance company. Let them deal with collecting from Progressive later. That's not your problem.

Reactions: CKN
The 2 examples above are why I don't even look at Geico or Progressive.

Filled out the forms for the Dave Ramsey referral, got an instant response and scheduled a time. No idea where the agent is located.
let us know how you make out, yes, this is a hobby of mine. As my wife says " I'm always saving us money" (every time I buy something *LOL*)

For those of you who want to change insurance:
Check out JD Powers
Also, be aware you can buy auto ins from Costco. Maybe even homeowners.

I want to update this, after 3 stable years with esurance.com for the first time I got a substantial increase of about 15% which is still dirt cheap price but I never stand for that. I switch companies the second I see a rate increase and I drop companies as soon as I find a better price. I could care less if I am only 1 month into a new policy. I will drop them for a better price. esurance is the longest I ever had a company in the last 15 years. I had them for about 3 years but then they just blew it, figured I assume now that they had me three years I would tolerate a price increase from about $990 a year for my two vehicles to $1180

Nope!! I found someone cheaper thanks to this forum and trust me, I have been through every major and minor insurance company. Just like when I buy gas for my vehicles, when I see a better price I drop the existing.
Costco Car Insurance pulled through, I am back below $1000 a year for my two cars. These are robust policies with 250/500 liability on all things, insured, uninsured and underinsured drivers, plus collision and comp on the SUV and only comp on the older mazda.

Ps. any insurance product we buy we do on the internet. We never talk to anyone.

Last edited:
Back