In what cars and trucks can you reach the oil filter without going down under.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
Subarus often have the filterbon top.

^^^THIS^^^

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
2015/16 2.0L VW TDI's from underneath. VW 2.0L TSI from above....easy spin on filter. FCA Pentastar cartridge on top. Lot of vehicles you can reach and remove the filters on the sides/front/back of engine but unless you have the pan dropped underneath with a catch basin you are going to make a mess removing them.

Mercedes C Class. Unscrew the plastic filter housing and let the oil held in the filter drain down into the sump. By the time you have pumped the oil out via the dipstick tube the filter housing can be lifted off, old filter removed and new filter inserted. It's a clean and simple system with O ring seals so doesn't need to be over tightened and is always easy to unscrew using a standard socket set. I find it so much better than the old metal can filters.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
Subarus often have the filterbon top.

Every Subaru for the past 6+ years, except for the STI, which has an ancient EJ engine.

It's very common on Mercedes and BMW to have a top mounted canister style filter. It's also quite common for the DIY crowd to invest in a topsider or fluid extractor for easy oil changes. I've always stuck to the old fashioned way in my W123.

GM's awful 3.6L can be serviced from the top in both FWD and RWD setups. The RWD application uses a cartridge filter that's usually overtightened by untrained monkeys. The FWD engines require a full burn sleeve and oven mitt.

Last edited:
Hondas with the 3.5L oil filter can be accessed by turning the wheels to the full left or right (can't remember off-hand). On the Odyssey, a skinny enough person can probably reach and remove the drain plug as well.

I don't mind the filter being on the underside if it's readily accessible. My 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe's under engine filter is super easy to access. In comparison, the 2015 Dodge Caravan's 3.6 engine cartridge filter is located on the top but is blocked such that you need a swivel adapter, or have to remove the airbox assembly.

Wife's '18 Santa Fe has a cartridge filter on top.
Same for the Chevy Ecotec.
My '02 Wrangler could be reached from the top also, but still had to go under to put a drain pan since it would drip.

The Jeep ZJs with the 4.0 could be changed from the top. It's a bit of a weird angle with the oil filter adapter, but I found it easier than doing it from underneath.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Our 07 toyota FJ.

A car guys wet dream to have the filter topside. I think MR2 and Mazda RX7 were like that too. That would definitely kill sales on ramps and jacks if all cars had them on the upper part.

Back