In theory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warranty and other issues aside....

I've been looking at uoa and voa of PYB. I have a 2014 accord I4 which calls for 0w20 and has a MM. I don't plan to extend the OCI past 7.5k. Based on tbn and add pack of PYB, wouldn't this, in most cases do well in place of a 0w20 syn at a reasonable OCI?

Just asking. Not planning on doing it, just wanted to open the conversation.

I wouldn't necessarily say different league. Maybe some specs or elements are far and away better with the syn, but I'm doubting that you're taking advantage of them.

If you had a turbochargers, very high power density, or something else, I'd be more concerned. But this engine should be benign. That said, why not just get and keep the right specs?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I wouldn't necessarily say different league. Maybe some specs or elements are far and away better with the syn, but I'm doubting that you're taking advantage of them.

If you had a turbochargers, very high power density, or something else, I'd be more concerned. But this engine should be benign. That said, why not just get and keep the right specs?

I was thinking apples to oranges cause of one being syn and one dino. technically calls for syn in the manual. If it did to use 5w20 then I would throw in any 5w20 that was on sale. I would use pp and go until the mm told me to dump it.

UOA, VOA, TBN and add pack...... Do you think the automaker engineers browse BITOG to decide what oil to spec?

Before the days of the MM, Honda's recommendation for 5w20 and 5w30 oils was 7.5k under normal service. Aside from the warranty question, I don't see a problem with your suggestion.

Just run 0w20 full syn and enjoy the car and see how many miles you can get on it. Thats what my goal would be. While PYB might work, why fight warranty or the fact that in my opinion a newer car should recieve full syn asap.

I wouldn't experiment with oils in this SAE grade. There is no safety margin that will allow you to play with oils within grade. I would stay with manufacturer recommendations on this one.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Warranty and other issues aside....

I've been looking at uoa and voa of PYB. I have a 2014 accord I4 which calls for 0w20 and has a MM. I don't plan to extend the OCI past 7.5k. Based on tbn and add pack of PYB, wouldn't this, in most cases do well in place of a 0w20 syn at a reasonable OCI?

Just asking. Not planning on doing it, just wanted to open the conversation.

For your new Accord, I'd stick with the OM recommended oils.

You're looking at PYB in which grage? Most likely, 5W20 as PYB does not come in a "0" grade. No conventional oil is available in a "0" grade that I am aware of or, am I wrong? It's the "0", that tell us that an oil is synthetic.
smile.gif

The Mazda 3 in my signature requires 5W20 and no other recommendation according to the OM. We use mostly 5W30(especially in Summer) as I see no difference in cold morning startups, performance, fuel economy and the engine is quieter on the 5W30.

The winter MPG is always down from the summer MPG, this we know. But, I have run 5W20 and 5W30 in the winter months and we see no considerable differences in MPG between the two.

Although this coming winter, I will use a full syn 5W20 as the winter has started early and most likely will last a long time until the OCI can be done again. So, convenience is a priority as is longevity!

Brand new car - over $20k spent - buy the right oil - 0W-20 and change by the OLM. When it gets old and turns into a beater, use what you want.

All. Thanks for the feedback. Again, this was nothing but a conversation starter. M1 0w20EP is going in the car.

Originally Posted By: abycat
I'd say no. 0w20 is in a whole different league than any pyb. technically your car reccomends syn.

Of course! All 0W20 oils contains excellent super-duper-flying additives which let your car be converted to helicopter. How can you miss it? All cars that don't use 0W20 will fail in the nearest hour or so.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: chrisri
I wouldn't experiment with oils in this SAE grade. There is no safety margin that will allow you to play with oils within grade. I would stay with manufacturer recommendations on this one.

Just curious: can I use Craftsman wrenches on my wife's Accord V6? I would not experiment with it. Next time I will be using Honda certified wrenches only.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I was thinking apples to oranges cause of one being syn and one dino. technically calls for syn in the manual. If it did to use 5w20 then I would throw in any 5w20 that was on sale. I would use pp and go until the mm told me to dump it.

Contact Honda North America. Technically Honda only recommends a API SG or newer API specification for PCMO recommendation.

I don't see how a dino 5w20 would affect anything. The only thing that I would change is go 5k miles maximum on the OCI instead of MM.

Besides, no 0w20 oil has the turbo rating yet, so it's not like it's going to be superior in height temp situations. Deposit control is highly dependant on the engine, OC length and driving conditions, not so much on the oil type. Cold performance difference is negligible in the overall scheme of things and we all know there will be no difference in wear.
I think dino would do just fine, but at a reduced OCI, and since this engine is DI, I would be thinking of reduced OCI anyways, even on the super, duper synthetic oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back