In Theory What Weight Oil Provides Better Cooling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JSIR, I had a closer look at my shop manual last night and you were right and I was wrong. Our K20A3's have neither the jets nor the oil cooler. The K20A2 gets both. Sorry for the error.

Jay I kind of new we didn't have the oil cooler as I have been doing my own oil changes so it was evident that it was missing. It was even mising on my 99 Sir which called for one in the shop manual, but I added my own. If you get the parts from the RSX-S they are easily installed, cost a few bucks though.

I wasn't sure, but I figured Honda would not use oil jet squirters on our engines as they do not rev over 7500 rpms. Honda basically uses them on any engine that has to rev over 7500 rpms. I was hoping maybe I was wrong on that , but doesn't look like it. That is cool that you have a shop manual to compare your parts to the RSX-S, I want to get one for my car soon.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned specific gravity [density] in all this. A denser oil should have more specific heat capacity than a less dense oil. Meaning it can carry more heat away from a hot part per unit volume or mass. In this respect, refined / heavy oil has an advantage over synthetic / thin oil. API gravity is in reverse of Specific Gravity so a lower API gravity is more dense, but a lower specific gravity is less dense.

This partially offsets the disadvantages of a thick oil in terms of cooling. Thin oil has less resistance, therefore generates less heat. More thin oil should circulate through your system than thick and that also helps cooling. But thick oil has more cooling capacity per volume than thin. Overall I think thin oil will run cooler, but the story for thick oil may not be as bad as previously described. Confused yet? Yeah, me too.

"I'm surprised noone has mentioned specific gravity [density] in all this. A denser oil should have more specific heat capacity than a less dense oil. Meaning it can carry more heat away from a hot part per unit volume or mass. In this respect, refined / heavy oil has an advantage over synthetic / thin oil. API gravity is in reverse of Specific Gravity so a lower API gravity is more dense, but a lower specific gravity is less dense."

The specific heat capacity of a lubricating oil is the same no matter the density. Synthetics have a higher heat capacity than do dinos.

The density variation between any two oils is so minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back