Vespa ET4125 - Metal in Oil/Oil Weight

Fired up the ET4 (pre leader, air cooled, 1999) for the first time in about 4 months or so, getting it ready for MOT and checking for spring riding.

Oil level was normal. Oil was reasonably clean. No oil pressure issues (I think, no light, oil was pulled into the engine as per).

I drained the oil to replace and refresh, and there were quite a few small metal flakes in the oil. Brass colour, some silver.

Now, other than that, the scoot seems healthy enough.

Oil used is 20w50 as per recommendations for this engine.

Some have said that this oil is way too thick at the cold temps in the UK for such a temperamental engine. But the oil weight is what's recommended in the Haynes manual and on Opie Oils. It's a semi-synth Putoline 20w50.

Could it just be a prolonged period of not being used? Or is there something potentially more sinister going on in the bottom end?

Fired up the ET4 (pre leader, air cooled, 1999) for the first time in about 4 months or so, getting it ready for MOT and checking for spring riding.

Oil level was normal. Oil was reasonably clean. No oil pressure issues (I think, no light, oil was pulled into the engine as per).

I drained the oil to replace and refresh, and there were quite a few small metal flakes in the oil. Brass colour, some silver.

Now, other than that, the scoot seems healthy enough.

Oil used is 20w50 as per recommendations for this engine.

Some have said that this oil is way too thick at the cold temps in the UK for such a temperamental engine. But the oil weight is what's recommended in the Haynes manual and on Opie Oils. It's a semi-synth Putoline 20w50.

Could it just be a prolonged period of not being used? Or is there something potentially more sinister going on in the bottom end?
Does this thing have an oil filter?
If not, you're probably just seeing the wear particles that a filter would have trapped.
Have you seen this in the past?
If not, then you may have a real problem, or you may not.
Metal in drain oil is usually not a good thing, but it may be that this isn't a real problem.
Use the scoot and see what happens. Not sure what else you can do to be proactive.
Have you tried looking at Vespa websites for references to this?
This is probably something better researched on a brand specific site.

Does this thing have an oil filter?
If not, you're probably just seeing the wear particles that a filter would have trapped.
Have you seen this in the past?
If not, then you may have a real problem, or you may not.
Metal in drain oil is usually not a good thing, but it may be that this isn't a real problem.
Use the scoot and see what happens. Not sure what else you can do to be proactive.
Have you tried looking at Vespa websites for references to this?
This is probably something better researched on a brand specific site.
It does have a small cone filter which I fully intend on pulling and examining for any metal particles.

This is only the 2nd time I’ve drained the oil. Before that I know nothing of the service history of the bike. But with the first oil change I didn’t notice any particles in the oil.

I am seeking guidance on Vespa specific forums. But I’m more interested here in gauging the appropriateness of the oil used at the weight specified by the Haynes manual and oil websites.

It wouldn't have been intended for leaded gas back in 99 would it? What octane does it require? I guess it is 150cc 4 stroke?

One can never tell with used bikes, people don't often get rid of top notch mechanical condition vehicles.

With a little ggogleing, it seems that Vespa recommends no more than a 5W-40 for your scoot.
20W-50 might be way thicker than what it needs.

It wouldn't have been intended for leaded gas back in 99 would it? What octane does it require? I guess it is 150cc 4 stroke?

One can never tell with used bikes, people don't often get rid of top notch mechanical condition vehicles.
It’s a 125 4 stroke. I use E5/99. It doesn’t run quite right on E10/95.

Meh. I got it from a salvage auction. Very low mileage for its age. Accident damage (minor).

But whoever owned it before, cranked the fuel mixture right up, and god knows if they ever changed the oil. So there’s that.

With a little ggogleing, it seems that Vespa recommends no more than a 5W-40 for your scoot.
20W-50 might be way thicker than what it needs.
The recommended oil weight is correct for this engine.

It’s an air cooled, not water cooled, engine.

Just not sure if it’s Italian temp. correct, or cold rainy UK correct.

I agree with the previous responses... any major brand 40 grade will meet and exceed your air cooled mileage expectations...

To understand if there something potentially more sinister going on in the bottom end send a sample to an Oil Analysis Lab near you...

Last edited:
Back