Impala trans went out agian!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would replace the radiator,flush the lines and install an inline filter before it was off the lift for the trans rebuild.
Also throw out the aftermarket cooler and get a new one.

All it takes is some crud to break loose and ruin the new trans.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: cchase
I think something else is at work here. Either something was not repaired correctly or driver error is to blame. Transmissions don't die with this frequency under normal circumstances.

Unless they are in a Honda Odyssey
wink.gif

or a Ford Windstar
whistle.gif
lol.gif

Based on your posts, you just replaced the transmission less than a year ago??? What is the warranty on the rebuilt transmission? Right now, you've only put about 16k miles on it; highway miles at that. Personally, I'd talk to this shop about re-doing their work for free; splitting the costs; or paying for labor. If the shop has a good working relationship with the company that supplied the transmission, they should be able to talk to them about replacing the unit. That company may want to take a look at the transmission to see if the unit was bad. No transmission should fail in 16k miles and under one year.

good luck.

Originally Posted By: swirlparanoid
I think something else is at work here. Either something was not repaired correctly or driver error is to blame. Transmissions don't die with this frequency under normal circumstances.

wink.gif

or a Ford Windstar
whistle.gif
lol.gif

Or a Dodge Caravan, LOL!

Minivans in general have a rather poor track record with transmissions as pointed out by another poster a few days ago.

They told me they were going to see if they'll work with me. They warranty on the trans was 1 year or 12k miles.

Either way, I ordered a rediator from advance auto and a new cooler. Once everything is installed i'll have it flushed agian, and hope for the best.

Is she one of the drivers who doesn't notice that they're shifting to change direction before the car has come to a stop?

Replacing the radiator is wise. If you just flush the cooler, be sure to install a Magnefine or similar SPXFiltran filter on the outlet to catch any debris left in the cooler--and install the filter in any case to catch anything left in any of the lines.

Installation of a temperature sensor on the tranmission is a consideration, but shouldn't be necessary with your additional cooler. Has anyone knowledgeable looked at it and confirmed that it was plumbed in correctly?

wink.gif

or a Ford Windstar
whistle.gif
lol.gif

Or a ford Taurus...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

wink.gif

or a Ford Windstar
whistle.gif
lol.gif

Or a ford Taurus...
grin.gif

Or a Honda Accord...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
cchase said:

wink.gif

or a Ford Windstar
whistle.gif
lol.gif

Or a ford Taurus...
grin.gif

op sorry for the thread jack

Ford Explorer. what do i win?

Last edited:
Well the shop is helping me out. They are buying a new trans and all I have to pay is the labor. It was cheaper to get a nice heavy-duty cooler and just by-pass the radiator cooler all together than buying a new radiator. I'm also going with mobil 1 fluid. Cross my fingers, this [censored] thing will last another 100k! lol

Last edited:
Good to hear they are working with you.
I think you are on the right track changing the cooler. Since you are in Ohio, you may want to replace the rad and keep the rad cooler in place. In cold weather that helps warm the fluid and bring the trans up to temp faster.
Check the lines, if they are not terribly expensive, just replace them. I believe those lines are a combination of rubber and steel lines. It is not unheard of for the rubber lines to be collapsing internally and restricting flow and look ok from the outside.
A guy at work has an 04 Impala, his wife drove to 170k and his daughter is now driving to college. His still has the original trans, so your experience is not the norm.

The tranny lines for the 05 Impala will set you back around $50 for the pair. We replaced them on my Sister's 05 Impala when the tranny was rebuilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back