Impact Tool (on control arm)

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I had yesterday replaced the “tension struts with hydrobearings ” on my 7 F series by the dealer. - I was going diy but not enough hours in the day.

I was watching mechanic via the glass in to bay … car lift was luckily right in front of me.

Manual said:

Important!
Do notrelease tension strut from swivel bearing with impact tool.

The swivel bearing must be removed if the steel bushing moves.
Rubber boot of trailing link must not be damaged!
Do not pull stainless steel ring off journal.

Well guess what … mechanic undone the bolt with impact…. Any idea if they done that because the part was being replaced ? Any other damage I should be looking out for ?

I questioned dealer and they said it’s how they always do it ?

What's a 7 F series? What part of the suspension are we talking about?

Seems like you'd be more satisfied DIY.

Reactions: Ndx
Tension Strut to Swivel bearing …
I would be as I’m very anal :)

The tension strut attaches to the large swivel bearing….
1650849264186.jpeg

1650849170932.jpg

Maybe they're afraid of fracturing or weakening the aluminum. That seems like it'd be more likely when torquing though.

Maybe they're afraid of fracturing or weakening the aluminum. That seems like it'd be more likely when torquing though.
Was thinking the same but the trailing arm or whatever it’s called right next to it does not carry similar warning :)

It’s to do with the design of the ball joint. You can see in the picture it’s not tapered and uses the little lumps on the collar to lock it in place (stop it rotating in the housing) If you used a impact wrench to loosen the lock nut the ball joint can spin and gouge the surface of the hub. To do it properly you need either a spanner or pass through ratchet and appropriate hex key.

Back