Honda Pilot timing belt DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still a ways off, but trying to decide if I should DIY or farm it out. Aisin timing belt kit with the belt, tensioners, and water pump is about $100. Much better than the ball park figure the dealer quoted. I've pulled engines, helped replace the timing gear on a GM Iron Duke, replaced an MG Midget clutch myself, and I think this is within my capabilities. Only things that concern me are the crank pulley bolt, and the nagging feeling of "what if something goes wrong" or worse, "what if something goes wrong a few thousand miles later that causes the timing belt to fail and wrecks the engine". Looks like the heavy mass impact socket with my air impact wrench would do the trick for the bolt, and I would buy the crank holding tool to make sure it doesn't go anywhere when tightening it. Youtube videos look pretty straightforward.

You can do it, just take your time. Make notes of the marks. Taking pictures is always good along with a white marker. Once the belt is back on and tension is applied, it's a good idea to turn the engine over by hand one complete belt revolution. Look down the belt while you are turning to see how it's moving. Also check that the marks are all aligned as they should be after turning it over.

All good then it will be fine.

Last edited:
Its no problem with the heavy mass socket on a decent impact and holder. Its a fairly easy job and with your experience I wouldn't have any reservations about doing it.
You will need a cheap angle gauge to torque it up.

Go for it, Dave. Sounds like you can handle it.
thumbsup2.gif

So I just did our Odyssey a few weeks ago.

I didn't have a special heavy-mass socket, and my impact (HF Earthquake) couldn't budge the crank pulley bolt. First fastener that it hasn't been able to loosen.

I used a breaker bar + cheater to get the bolt out.

I found the entire job to be very straightforward... One of the easiest timing belt jobs I've done recently. Hydraulic tensioner makes the job easy.

I used the Aisin TKH002 kit for about $190. Not sure where you're getting the $100 kit -- does it include the hydraulic tensioner?

If you have the tools, it's not a difficult job. Take your time, inspect twice before doing the next move. Dabbing white marker on everything that line up before removing stuff sure helps - sprockets, crankshaft, pulleys, the engine bloc, and the old timing belt too. Take lots of good pictures. Then put the old and new belts side by side, and mark the new belt with the white marker at the same points. Now you know how the new belt should line up with the previous marks on the engine. And last, count the teeth of the old and the new belts. It has been reported on BITOG before, where the new belt did not have the same tooth count as the old one.

Originally Posted by brages
So I just did our Odyssey a few weeks ago.

I didn't have a special heavy-mass socket, and my impact (HF Earthquake) couldn't budge the crank pulley bolt. First fastener that it hasn't been able to loosen.

I used a breaker bar + cheater to get the bolt out.

I found the entire job to be very straightforward... One of the easiest timing belt jobs I've done recently. Hydraulic tensioner makes the job easy.

I used the Aisin TKH002 kit for about $190. Not sure where you're getting the $100 kit -- does it include the hydraulic tensioner?

If the Impact wont budge it with the mass socket just jam the breaker against the lower control arm and hit the starter, no drama.

Originally Posted by Trav
If the Impact wont budge it with the mass socket just jam the breaker against the lower control arm and hit the starter, no drama.

A lot of people ridicule that as a red neck method. I know you're respected around here so I'm curious if anyone will say anything....
smile.gif

FWIW, when my son-in-law changed the timing belt on our Odyssey, he tried his IR impact first with no success. The "starter bump" trick worked perfectly though. He had changed the TB on their Odyssey not long before and did the same thing. Impact first, then starter bump.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

A lot of people ridicule that as a red neck method. I know you're respected around here so I'm curious if anyone will say anything....
smile.gif

FWIW, when my son-in-law changed the timing belt on our Odyssey, he tried his IR impact first with no success. The "starter bump" trick worked perfectly though. He had changed the TB on their Odyssey not long before and did the same thing. Impact first, then starter bump.

Pull the ignition or fuel pump fuse before you do this.

Only thing I can add is to pull the plugs and set the engine to TDC . before removing the belt . When finished rotate the crankshaft 2 full turns and it should be on the mark.

You should not use the starter bump on a 4-cyl Honda timing belt job, though...

(CCW engine rotation on F-series engines)

Thanks all. I've heard of the starter bump method to get the bolt off, but I think that would be an extremely bad idea on my Pilot; the newer ones have the ECU control the starter, so the ECU takes over and keeps cranking until the engine runs even if you "bump" the key. I would leave that as a last resort and pray I can turn the key off quickly enough to avoid damaging anything.

Originally Posted by StevieC
You can do it, just take your time. Make notes of the marks. Taking pictures is always good along with a white marker. Once the belt is back on and tension is applied, it's a good idea to turn the engine over by hand one complete belt revolution. Look down the belt while you are turning to see how it's moving. Also check that the marks are all aligned as they should be after turning it over.

All good then it will be fine.

two complete turns 720 degrees and see if all the timing marks line up then all is good.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

smile.gif

Of course its a hack, but at 9pm someone in the garage with no other option you do what you gotta do to get the job done.
I have almost every tool known inc 1" long anvil impact gun but there have been times that I didn't have my tools with me and resorted to redneck/hack methods to get the job done. Anyone who claims different is being charitable with the truth or hasn't done much work.

Originally Posted by brages
You should not use the starter bump on a 4-cyl Honda timing belt job, though...

(CCW engine rotation on F-series engines)

Correct, easily seen as the damper is on the driver side IIRC.

My impact would not budge the 19 mm crank bolt on my Toyota pickup. Breaker bar with pipe cheater, and it still would not budge. Breaker bar on frame rail with starter bump, and it came loose easy. Disable the ignition first....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back