2010 MDX Rear Trailing Arm Bushings

Got the state inspection done yesterday. Shop said bushings are starting to tear and would have to be replaced before inspection next year. I looked at the bushings and they look fine to be. I have replaced bad dog bones and motor mounts with torn rubber so I think I can tell a bad one from a good one.

Do you have to inspect these bushings in a certain way to see the tears? I am thinking the shop (gas station) is drumming up business. I have used this place many times before but the mechanic who always did my cars is no longer there and I have no experience with the guy who recommended new trailing arms. About 7 years ago a different mechanic at this same station told me my niece needed new struts which turned out to be a lie (long story). He was fired a year later.

Did you take a pry bar and crank down on the bushings or was it a visual inspection?
No, but neither did the tech. I watched him walk around under the car and look at the suspension with a flashlight. I will exercise it with a bar to see if that makes a difference.

No, but neither did the tech. I watched him walk around under the car and look at the suspension with a flashlight. I will exercise it with a bar to see if that makes a difference.
When you check it make sure the suspension is unloaded

I usually can tell visually if anything before you go next year spray them with silicone to condition them make them look new.
I am not trying to avoid a necessary repair. This is my wife’s car and I want it right. I just don’t trust a recommendation from a state inspection performed by a tech I do not know.

I am not trying to avoid a necessary repair. This is my wife’s car and I want it right. I just don’t trust a recommendation from a state inspection performed by a tech I do not know.
I understand totally. If you can’t see it visually then most likely it doesn’t need them. If the bushings are bad they will be torn and grease will be all over.

And I've never seen any with "grease" in them either, it is generally a silicone or perfluorocarbon damping fluid.

Last edited:
Interesting. I thought all of them had grease in them.
This is another example of why your posts are questioned. You mention having experience at a Toyota dealer as a technician. Which Toyota models use liquid filled bushings? I can think of a few Lexus models, but they are far and few.

This is another example of why your posts are questioned. You mention having experience at a Toyota dealer as a technician. Which Toyota models use liquid filled bushings? I can think of a few Lexus models, but they are far and few.
I never really dealt with the stuff like that the sway bar bushings had either liquid or grease in them sometimes you can’t tell which one it is if the boots are falling apart they tend to look the same. Never really dealt with trailing arms. And some of the stuff I have forgotten from the training.

I never really dealt with the stuff like that the sway bar bushings had either liquid or grease in them sometimes you can’t tell which one it is if the boots are falling apart they tend to look the same. Never really dealt with trailing arms.
Sway bar bushings do not have grease in them. Sometimes the bushings are lubricated between the bar and the bushing.

When I had a 2007 MDX got the same statement around 110k miles and estimate of $1000+ to change from dealer. Ask my normal general independent he said they were fine. Drove on till 200k and sold in April 2020 and no issue or odd wear. Suspension was beat but they were fine.

Get 2nd opinion.

Back