Impact on drain plug.

When I was a manager at a chain car care place I never saw an impact tool used on a drain plug. In fact if I saw a tech do that the would be written up. Now did they overtighten drain plugs? Yes, the newer LOF tech did it all the time and filter too. I would stand next to them and watch to verify they weren't doing that, if they couldn't figure it out I'd make them bust out the torque wrench and do every single drain plug with the torque specs (they print out in the work order). They quickly learned not to overtighten plugs and filters because it was a PITA. Some just refused and where let go.

When I was a manager at a chain car care place I never saw an impact tool used on a drain plug. In fact if I saw a tech do that the would be written up. Now did they overtighten drain plugs? Yes, the newer LOF tech did it all the time and filter too. I would stand next to them and watch to verify they weren't doing that, if they couldn't figure it out I'd make them bust out the torque wrench and do every single drain plug with the torque specs (they print out in the work order). They quickly learned not to overtighten plugs and filters because it was a PITA. Some just refused and where let go.
I have seen them used to get a drain plug off. Also FWIW when I turned wrenches I used a torque wrench on drain plugs because I had the spec and the wrench so I figured I should. It didn't take that much extra time.

I use a torque wrench on OTR truck engine plugs, too much money on the line to short cut it in my opinion. Don’t do it on cars or anything else though. Never had one come loose or fall out either.

I’ve seen cordless tools used and then hear my boss yelling across the shop to unlock the wheels on your box because you are gone lol. My friend who refuses to use hand tools unless they are the only thing that will fit uses a cordless ratchet and gun for everything including drain plugs the teacher always yelled at him at school. I never do I always use a breaker bar or bigger ratchet to loosen and tighten them. Or on my dads truck I use a giant wrench or socket when we don’t use the quick drain on it. Thing takes an 1 1/4 wrench or socket. Didn’t know it had a torque spec to be honest and I probably don’t have a torque wrench that goes that high lol.

I read here often that " They must have used an impact on the drain plug". Has anyone actually seen this done? I have not and I hace a hard time believing a shop would do this.

A 250 lb monkey hanging off a long wrench in the pit sure.
I have seen this personally. Local Midas impacted on my GF's Honda Civic drain plug and it cracked the pan. Was nearly run completely out of oil by the time I noticed a giant puddle under her car after she had left my house one night.

That shop is no longer in business.

doesn't mean anything, but I have been changing oil on my vehicles, and on customers cars, for over 50 years now, and have never used a torque wrench on one yet. Have not ever stripped one, or had one come loose. maybe I just have a good natural feel for proper torque. Many years ago when I did major engine overhauls, the only thing I used my torque wrench on were the rod and main bolts and headbolts. On OPE, the only thing I used torque wrench on was rod, and head bolts. And I never ever had any problems with anything. For course I am not saying that everybody should do as I do, just that it can be done.

I have seen this personally. Local Midas impacted on my GF's Honda Civic drain plug and it cracked the pan. Was nearly run completely out of oil by the time I noticed a giant puddle under her car after she had left my house one night.

That shop is no longer in business.

Is it no longer in business because of you or ?

I think it's just something people say to get across how tight the plug was. I've never seen one used to tighten a drain plug.

Standing up underneath a car, where the engine is still hot, and the threads still have oil on them, and you have plenty of room, it is incredibly easy to put a lot of torque on something with even smaller hand tools. A lot of oil changers are also going to err on the side of a little too tight is better than not tight enough. After heat cycling for a few thousand miles, it's going to be a lot harder to take off laying down in the driveway with limited room to put torque on the tools you are using.

I think it's just something people say to get across how tight the plug was. I've never seen one used to tighten a drain plug.

Standing up underneath a car, where the engine is still hot, and the threads still have oil on them, and you have plenty of room, it is incredibly easy to put a lot of torque on something with even smaller hand tools. A lot of oil changers are also going to err on the side of a little too tight is better than not tight enough. After heat cycling for a few thousand miles, it's going to be a lot harder to take off laying down in the driveway with limited room to put torque on the tools you are using.
Ditto.

I always thought it was just a figure of speech as well.

Put it on with 30 ft. lbs and a year later it will require over 60 ft lbs minimum to take off.
Zigactly - it always takes more to undo something than to tighten it. The number of times I've cursed some idiot for overtightening something....and then realised I was the last person to touch it, and it was torqued to spec.

Back