I'm Taking the Plunge with Redline 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after much deliberation I've decided to give Redline's 5W-20 a try. I've been skeptical about the 5w-20 viscosity, and I've been running 5w-30 oil up to now. But I feel pretty comfortable with the Redline product based on their specs, my other choice was Synergyn but it is harder to find in my area, plus Terry seems to have a lot of confidence in Redline. I'll be taking it to about 6000 miles on this first drain. The car is a 2002 Honda Civic SiR with about 10,000 miles on it. Their 5w-20 seems to have a higher evaporation loss compared to their other viscosities, hopefully it doesn't burn off too much particularly since I've been running 5w-30 up 'til now. Crossing my fingers
burnout.gif

I am still contemplating on trying the Redline 5w-30, but the almost $10/quart is very hard to justify when I know that there is very good oils at half of that price.

Redline's 5w-20 is high on the list of oils I'd like to try in my K20A3 RSX engine. It's HTHS is on par with most 30-weights so don't worry about it being too thin. Let us know how you like it.

Excellent I can't wait to see the results! If this stuff weren't so costly I'd consider even trying out a couple of intervals with their 5w20 in my Firebird as an experiment!

I am also interested. I think if you are using a 20 wt. this may be the best choice due to lots of moly and probabably better lubricating properties of esters. It will be very interesting to see oil analysis.

Hey Idrinkmotoroil -

For your application (which is disregarding CAFE standards on your EP), wouldn't you rather use the Redline 5w-30 for the better wear protection, and also considering that it's going to be summer and you won't need the thinner properties?
or am I way off?

thanks for all the encouragement guys !. Dynaspeed, you bring up some good points as I was seriously considering their 5w-30 and I don't drive my car in winter. But I want to try the 5w-20 to compare the wear numbers, if I can get good wear numbers like I did on 5w-30 and 10w-30 it is worth using for a bit better mileage and hp - just a tad I know. If the numbers are a bit elevated then I will go to their 5w-30 weight. My first interval will take me until early June I think, just before the really hot weather and before my first track day at Gingerman Raceway. Redline shows all the same pour points for all of their oils which is odd. Their 5w-20 is almost a thin 30 weight and it does have a good HT/HS number , plus all the great anti-wear additives.

Mobil1 5w-20 sounds to be a great oil as well, but it will be a long time before I will see it around my area, so may as well play with Redline for now.
smile.gif

alright Drink... how about this - I just ordered a case of Redline 5w-30 and will be implementing it in about a week or so after I take a 3500 mile UOA of the Honda 5w-20. I'll do another 5k UOA of the Redline 5w-30 when the time comes (not too long, probably about 2½ months)
You could do a UOA on the 5w-20, and we could compare; and considering we drive the same car, and I have a feeling our driving habits are similar, the results will be fairly reasonable to compare.

that would be perfect, I like that idea a lot, safes me from testing 5w-30 and you from testing 5w-20. Sounds like a great plan. I hope to get mine in the car very shortly and start driving it daily. I don't want to run the oil until I drive it daily as it would skew the results I think. Two drain intervals is a good idea to get accurate numbers, lets see how it goes. Keep eachother posted bud !. thanks

Joey

quote:

Originally posted by BrewCityR:
Joey, you doing the April 19th event? If so, I'll be there too.
cheers.gif

No I won't be, but it sounds like fun. Who is putting that one on ?. Im the head organizer the ClubSi/Honda event at Gingerman for 3 years now, this year we are there on June 23rd, 2003 (Monday). We have a ton of Wisconsin guys at our event each year, two oranizers that help me out are actually in Wisconsin. Scott McDermott and Sam Karp,you might now them. Clayton Goldsmith will be there with his R from Wisconsin too if you know him.

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:

quote:

Originally posted by BrewCityR:
Joey, you doing the April 19th event? If so, I'll be there too.
cheers.gif

No I won't be, but it sounds like fun. Who is putting that one on ?. Im the head organizer the ClubSi/Honda event at Gingerman for 3 years now, this year we are there on June 23rd, 2003 (Monday). We have a ton of Wisconsin guys at our event each year, two oranizers that help me out are actually in Wisconsin. Scott McDermott and Sam Karp,you might now them. Clayton Goldsmith will be there with his R from Wisconsin too if you know him.

Yeah, I know them all, but they may not admit it.
lol.gif
I just bought a Spoon header for my '97 R from Scott on Friday, I met up with Clayton and some other ITR friends this past Sunday, and I've met Sam a few times at Milwaukee autox's. The April 19th event is a www.speedtrialusa.com event. Did my 1st HPDE there in October and was very well run. I am not registered for the CSi event but may come to watch some Midwest ITR intruders.
smile.gif

quote:

Yeah, I know them all, but they may not admit it.
lol.gif
I just bought a Spoon header for my '97 R from Scott on Friday, I met up with Clayton and some other ITR friends this past Sunday, and I've met Sam a few times at Milwaukee autox's. The April 19th event is a www.speedtrialusa.com event. Did my 1st HPDE there in October and was very well run. I am not registered for the CSi event but may come to watch some Midwest ITR intruders.
smile.gif
[/QB]

I kinda thought you might know them, as Wisconsin auto-x people seem to know eachother, small world. Good to hear that you bought Scott's header, that is cool. Feel free to come down to our event, should be exciting.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back