I'm over it

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I meant with my unintentionally terse comment is that there are also opinions within the realm of scientific inquiry and research. The simple and, to my mind, obviously convincing reason for this is that knowledgeable scientists disagree with each other. Having said that, I will add that no matter which of those scientists is correct (if any), their opinions hold more weight than mine would. Stephen Hawking admitted he was wrong about some mathematical theory or another a year or two ago, and held a conference to announce it, but his wrong idea was worth more than that of a flat-earther. Both, however, are still opinions. That was all I meant.

this site offers so much more information than just what oil is best for my engine. If you are a DIY'er and ever come across something you need help or advice on I always can just ask my question on here and so far I have always recieved educational advice. That has saved me money and its a free site. I wouldn't give up on it!

I just wish there was a BITOG for all the OTHER things I buy.
I spend under $150/yr on motor oil, and that includes two cars.
I just wish there was a "Sally is the toothpaste lady" forum somewhere where I could see in-depth tests and discussions of off-brand versus big-name-brand tartar-reducing-whitening toothpastes and see comparisons of their relative fluoride levels, complete with clandestine posts from a guy who works for Colgate but can only disclose occasional "hints" as to their company's products.
I mean, there are boards that discuss breakfast cereal and detergents, but NOTHING that searches for truth the way we do.

PS - Anyone who posts a "goodbye cruel board" post is too heavily invested in the board to stay away. He might never post again, but he WILL come back every few months.

Well, I have a few boards I visit on the EZ board network for politics, world happenings, etc., and this place is another. It's entertaining, and I probably clown around more than a lot prefer (not to mention TOO MUCH with 780 posts since Dec.), but the other areas of the board, maintenance, cooling systems, and mechanical sections are a huge help for folks who may never ask, but rather search the topics for answers. They certainly have for me.

FACT vs. opinion? Had that discussion with a fella regarding religion awhile back. His way is the "true" way, he said.. Religion, oil, or politics, there's YOUR truth, MY truth, and the REAL truth which may reside outside the two, or, if we're lucky, somewhere in between..

Cool thing about this place is, it's EASY to sort those who KNOW, from those who THINK they know, that such and such is the truth. As in all things mechanical and chemical, education of the poster is the difference, self-taught or formal.

I'm stayin!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back