I'm looking for a treatment for door gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Black Magic tire shine .

That is what I use as well. Works good on the rubber trim and under the engine bay plastics as well.

I spray crc silicone lube on an applicator and wipe all the weather seals

It was actually another BITOGer who recommended silicone brake fluid several years ago. I bought a small bottle of it and have found that it works very well as a rubber conditioner, maybe even better than the silicone spray I used for decades prior. I just dampen a paper towel with it and wipe the seals. It does a great job on wiper blades, too.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
If the seals are leaking, they need to be replaced.

I can't imagine it would be that expensive to buy a brand new gasket?

It's obvious you have not priced these. Some doors have 2 or 3 gaskets. And 2, 3, 4, 5 doors? Side cargo doors, hatchback - easy $200+ minimum. Some are complex designs. Some installs are a real PITA which means $$$.

Fix 'em if you can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
You don't need to mail order pricey stuff. This is about like Shin etsu and $6 down the road.

Sil Glyde:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651351

I use this on door, sun-roof, etc seals as well as some underhood hi-stress rubber parts. Works great.

This stuff even says right on the label to use it on seals. I may check this stuff out!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
You don't need to mail order pricey stuff. This is about like Shin etsu and $6 down the road.

Sil Glyde:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651351

I use this on door, sun-roof, etc seals as well as some underhood hi-stress rubber parts. Works great.

This stuff even says right on the label to use it on seals. I may check this stuff out!

I'll give a plus one. I use it on my vehicles. Works well and is economical.

Sil-Y-Glyd does work. If the seals are too far gone then you might need to look on Ebay or check a junk yard for a totaled car and strip them out. Cheaper than new and probably good enough.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Best I've seen is the 'Gummi Pflege Stift' bottle.

+1 awesome stuff. But where on earth can you find it?

I bought mine from Amazon for ~$10 delivered (Amazon Prime member).

I've used the basic Silicone spray lube that you get at AA or AZ. I apply a heavy spray once in the spring and later when I winterize. Wiping down the metallic surface with a damp rag to keep grit away also goes hand in hand. This is all I've needed for the past 40 years.

Last edited:
I would suggest Kleen-Flo's Honey Goo Holistic Rubber Care. Now, turtlevette's going to Google the product and think I've flipped.
wink.gif

Yes, it's a weird name, but it does a very nice job.

Last edited:
I use the 303 protectant stuff. Don't remember the details as to why, but when I did my research the last time I determined that was the stuff to use, so that's what I use.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Stevie
'Gummi Pflege Stift' bottle

That's as strangely named as the Honey Goo.
wink.gif

It's German, go figure!

Originally Posted By: Garak
I would suggest Kleen-Flo's Honey Goo Holistic Rubber Care.

Castor oil. The same main ingredient that is in SilGlyde, which is nothing like the silicone product Shin Etsu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back