wink.gif

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

Originally Posted by drtyler
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

An E36 would be nice. Could probably get a ragged M3 for $5k, even!

I was going to suggest an E36 M3 as well, but it seems the prices have risen a bit lately. $5k doesn't quite go as far. I'm not sure how reliable one would be for daily driving purposes in that price range. They are a blast to drive though.

Since you were considering Cabriolet, I thought E30 cabrio might fit too. Probably a little heavier, but the the 6 is decent. They don't tend to have as many teenage drivers in their history. Top doesn't seal air/wind noise as well as the E36 and later cars though.

E36 M3's are going up in value, but I'd say a nice E36 convertible or something like a 325i with the 6 cyl and manual trans would be a nice combo for the price. I've seen a few nice ones popping up lately for good prices that were well taken care of, especially the convertibles.

So I've been looking, reading, digging, and searching.

And I'm going to pick up a clean Scirocco for good money and sell the Carrera, keep the Carrera and buy a popped Corrado G60 and ABA swap it, keep the Carerra and buy a Saab 'vert, or sell the Carerra and but a 370Z or Miata.

Or pick up a Z3/E36 convertible.

So really, I've made no decision.

Old BMW sedans are the stuff of White Boyz in the Hood around my town.

Stigmatised as Punk kid junk.

Miata - No. unless its way race prepped.

A late 90's M roadster slaughters S2000, Miatas, Boxters.

But it's got that Old retired guy styling .....

How do I drive? If Inspired,as I was ever slightly on the way to the cabin, " Magna Cum Vigor "

75 peak in a 30mph windy back road using the whole road.

Because, you know ..... wheel slip

Third gear is tall in this VW ....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
^^^My 2000 Mustang GT, Saleen wheels, 4.6 engine, auto trans, 123,000 miles.

Very nice and I remember what it looked like when you first bought it. So great turn around.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Old BMW sedans are the stuff of White Boyz in the Hood around my town.

Stigmatised as Punk kid junk.

Miata - No. unless its way race prepped.

A late 90's M roadster slaughters S2000, Miatas, Boxters.

But it's got that Old retired guy styling .....

Noted?

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
keep the Carrera and buy a popped Corrado G60 and ABA swap it, keep the Carerra and buy a Saab 'vert,

The options that include keeping the Carrera would be my first choice. Not sure if you saw the thread below or not:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5134875/1

Yeah I'm inclined to keep the Carerra as well. Best car I've ever owned, by a long shot.

Actually, the late 70's Mustang II Cobra was the best handling of these cheap fords with a V8 lump in the front. The self contained front suspension module - with integrated rack and SLA locating - is legendary and used to date in various hot street classic builds

Yes. I had one, one summer, with a replacement cammed up 302.
Soon after it needed a replacement 4 speed manual.

Fox chassis 'stangs?.

Sorry, Not for the twisties.
Silverado 12 Love the Color on that '00

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Actually, the late 70's Mustang II Cobra was the best handling of these cheap fords with a V8 lump in the front. The self contained front suspension module - with integrated rack and SLA locating - is legendary and used to date in various hot street classic builds

Yes. I had one, one summer, with a replacement cammed up 302.
Soon after it needed a replacement 4 speed manual.

Fox chassis 'stangs?.

Sorry, Not for the twisties.
Silverado 12 Love the Color on that '00

The Mustang II is the only Mustang I would consider.

If you absolutely want to have an old two-door car, the most reliable one I can think of would be a Mercedes 280 SL "Pagoda." Not much can break and it breaks it can be fixed. But you are at looking at a 50-year-old runabout. An older 180 might be okay but won't be sporty. A two-door Golf/Jetta Mk 2/3 would be alright as long as it comes without the bells and whistles and rust that add to the repair cost. We have a 32-year-old Golf in the family that is used several times a week and it's been reliable and cheap to maintain. The old VW 1.8 liter 2-valve engine with up to 95hp is dead-reliable. I'd stay away from Sciroccos because finding parts will be so much harder than for a Golf. The same goes for the Corrado, plus if it's one with the G60, that particular supercharger tends to go "bink" and it's done. I'd look for an old sedan or wagon instead, ideally a Mercedes W123 or Volvo 240 simply because they were not built to be obsolete and thus are reliable and highly repairable.

Lately I've been very obsessed with the more unique BMWs of the past couple of decades, like the 1 series or my newest flavor of the week, the 335is. This one in particular seems a lot of fun, it's kind of a sleeper since it looks very similar to every other 3 series coupe of that era but comes with a twin turbo 320hp straight six, so it's kind of like an M3 in disguise, but for much less. It also has an overboost feature that allows it to run more boost for 10 second bursts so it'll make much more than 320hp during quick passing manuevers or a launch off the line. I want one, so you should too!
thumbsup2.gif

335.jpg

Originally Posted by Patman
Lately I've been very obsessed with the more unique BMWs of the past couple of decades, like the 1 series or my newest flavor of the week, the 335is. This one in particular seems a lot of fun, it's kind of a sleeper since it looks very similar to every other 3 series coupe of that era but comes with a twin turbo 320hp straight six, so it's kind of like an M3 in disguise, but for much less. It also has an overboost feature that allows it to run more boost for 10 second bursts so it'll make much more than 320hp during quick passing manuevers or a launch off the line. I want one, so you should too!
thumbsup2.gif

The 335is is nice, but have you see the 135is?

Same same - but different...

thumbsup2.gif

hp bump in 335is is not that dramatic, only 20hp.
But it is torque jump that makes that car fast. 369-lb-ft comapared to 300 lb-ft in regular.
What is strange, N54 engine is know to be problematic, but this version in 335is seems much more reliable.

Last edited:
By coincidence, we were at a memorial service over the weekend with the college crowd, one of whom has an '01 996 C2 and a '95 e36 M3, so I got to do a door to door comparison.

I was surprised at how well the m3 aged, as that was when BMW was starting to use eco friendly adhesives and the interiors didn't fare to well....but they must have sorted that by this point. The only issue w/ the BMW was a drooping headliner (which is being replaced). His car has been very easy to own, requiring only normal maintenance and an alternator and some preventative repairs (water pump & radiator) over the ~75K miles including more than a few track days. He, like me, is OCD with regards to maintaining cars though.

I like the C2 and M3 combination, but i'd lean towards the C2 and SAAB CV; C2 fills the performance need and a nice convertible can make a mundane commute almost enjoyable. For a FWD car, the SAAB's CV's are fun to drive. Just don't hit a racoon w/ one, it's $4,400, ask how I know...

thumbsup2.gif

The 335is is nice, but have you see the 135is?

Same same - but different...

I haven't seen a 135is up here at all, but even though I like the 1 series a lot, I don't feel like it's as good looking of a car as the 335is.

Originally Posted by edyvw
thumbsup2.gif

But it is torque jump that makes that car fast. 369-lb-ft comapared to 300 lb-ft in regular.
What is strange, N54 engine is know to be problematic, but this version in 335is seems much more reliable.

It's interesting that the torque goes up so much with that overboost feature but not the horsepower. I figured that both would go up by about equal amounts.

Originally Posted by edyvw
thumbsup2.gif

It's interesting that the torque goes up so much with that overboost feature but not the horsepower. I figured that both would go up by about equal amounts.

It's a function of cylinder head design. I know the old Datsun L series would just make more torque from more boost without some serious head work.

I haven't seen a 135is up here at all, but even though I like the 1 series a lot, I don't feel like it's as good looking of a car as the 335is.

Definitely not as pretty, but it's all the same running gear in a smaller, lighter, more nimble chassis.

The 335is is a very refined machine with a hard edge. The 135is is a madman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back