I'm in the market for a new ride...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, I found a job that will allow me to use my talents to directly help people, instead of indirectly killing people.

I'm going to take the opportunity and run with it and use being at home to also give becoming a more present husband and father my very best effort.

Now, with the change in career comes a change in money, so instead of spending ~$55k as I planned (don't tell my wife!) on a new toy, I'm looking at spending ~$5k.

I'll consider anything really, AS LONG AS IT IS ENTERTAINING TO DRIVE and could be considered somewhat "reliable."

Right now I'm looking at Sciroccos and Corrados. I had a Corrado in Germany it it was an amazing car. I may do another Cabriolet. They can be bought and run for pennies and they're a blast. There is the temptation to buy another Porsche: I've always wanted an early 924 or a clapped-out Boxster.

I am also considering selling the Carrera - If I go that route I'll bump the budget to $15k, which opens me up to late model Z cars, Miatas, Z4s, etc.

I feel I may regret starting this thread, but:

What say you?

Cheap cars are rarely reliable. Get what you like. While not my favorite car, Mustangs are good choices as there is a huge industry providing aftermarket parts and they can be really fun

While you seem to like VW, I'd stay away. They are the least reliable choice and not that fun.

The 944 idea is always interesting. Especially with a V8 conversion.

How far are you commuting?

Also great choice to spend time with kids over the money etc. My dad was barely present working in Saudi Arabia for 2.5 years of my youth and I was really missing him. He took a regional job and mostly worked out of home and life got better.

I think I'd go with the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car. It's not too often you can find a V8, RWD, relatively cheap and reliable as well as entertaining to drive.

Originally Posted by JustN89
I think I'd go with the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car. It's not too often you can find a V8, RWD, relatively cheap and reliable as well as entertaining to drive.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by JustN89

Nope- go with an Avalon or Camry.

Take a look at the for sale section here. I'm selling my dear sister's 2012 Mazda3.
It has a "manual mode" which allows you to nudge the trannie + or -.

Congrats on the new role and new direction.

Don't sell the Carrera.... OK, got that out of the way.

How about an e36 BMW? Some cab's are near that range and the later 323is and maybe 328 is's are great cars w/ lots of opportunities for upgrades.

The late 90's BMW Z3 M roadster was the best sports car i've driven over all - even though It had mac struts up front.
Gotta get the "M" though - the std Z are wimpy and the trans are weak. Yes the TVR was great but it's as rare as hen's teeth.

There are also some good kit cars out there, maybe you could take over someone's abandoned Factory Five project
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Clean Corrado would be hard to beat.

How do you feel about E30's?

I think clean 2-door sedans are inching up past $5k, but the convertibles are holding the floor down pretty well. I've owned mine for 15 years and put well over 120k miles on it. It's been a great car and fun to drive. My E90 feels like a boat after driving the E30 for a while!

I've seen a number of 328i/325i E90s in the $5k range, but they are admittedly a bit boring unless you change the shocks/struts/springs. I've been pleasantly surprised with the reliability.

Originally Posted by Cujet
While you seem to like VW, I'd stay away. They are the least reliable choice and not that fun.

The 944 idea is always interesting. Especially with a V8 conversion.

An A1/2 VW is most certainly fun and reliable. The A1 GTI was genesis for the"hot hatch!" No 944. Not interested in the 2.5, transaxle, or fender flares.
Originally Posted by madRiver
How far are you commuting?

Also great choice to spend time with kids over the money etc. My dad was barely present working in Saudi Arabia for 2.5 years of my youth and I was really missing him. He took a regional job and mostly worked out of home and life got better.

400 miles a week. My daughter is turning 7 soon and I miss her probably more than she does me! I've been contacting since she was born and it's time to stop.
Originally Posted by Imp4

In your position, I'd try to find an old Z3 that's not beaten on too much...

A fine idea! Let me know if you see one, preferable a 1.9 w/ manual.
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I would stick with what you're familiar with and able to work on yourself.

There's not a whole lot that I'm not comfortable with. I don't much care for most E46 or E90.
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Congrats on the new role and new direction.

Don't sell the Carrera.... OK, got that out of the way.

How about an e36 BMW? Some cab's are near that range and the later 323is and maybe 328 is's are great cars w/ lots of opportunities for upgrades.

Thanks! Exciting times.

I figured you suggest that I DIDN'T sell the Carrera... And I don't really want to!

An E36 would be nice. Could probably get a ragged M3 for $5k, even!

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
A nice Corrado if you can find one...

Originally Posted by Trav
Corrado or an R32 if you can find a clean one for the right money.

Originally Posted by drtyler
Clean Corrado would be hard to beat.

How do you feel about E30's?

I think clean 2-door sedans are inching up past $5k, but the convertibles are holding the floor down pretty well. I've owned mine for 15 years and put well over 120k miles on it. It's been a great car and fun to drive. My E90 feels like a boat after driving the E30 for a while!

I've seen a number of 328i/325i E90s in the $5k range, but they are admittedly a bit boring unless you change the shocks/struts/springs. I've been pleasantly surprised with the reliability.

Good to see I'm not the only one that loves the Corrado!

I like the E30 just fine but they're getting hard to find without 3 teenage prior owners.

E90 is too new. But I'd consider buying Scott's!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by gofast182
How about a Honda Civic Si? Reliable and entertaining. Inexpensive to buy and operate.

No.

You expect to find a reliable German car for $5k? You can barely get a reliable German car for $50k.

Nice try, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back