I'm going to do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by diyjake
does this have the stow and go seats?

Yes in the 2nd and 3rd row. It also has stow away roof rack. So the side bars are there (low profile) but the cross bars are hidden until you need them. I thought this was awesome.

Stow N Place Roof Rack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmyDuOnzL-w

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I like it. That's how I'd park it too, as far off the beaten path as possible.

We have a giant building because most of it is a parts warehouse for our machines and only 5 of us work in this office at any one time so we literally have like 100 spots to ourselves.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
The 8 or 10 speed transmission is not all what it is cracked up to be. Not surprising.

I am glad that you got something far less annoying Stevie.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
The 8 or 10 speed transmission is not all what it is cracked up to be. Not surprising.

I have driven the 9 speed from Chrysler since it has been debugged and it's smooth and responsive. It just seems Honda/Toyota haven't gotten their act together on these later higher speed units before rushing them out the door. I think I'm going to default back to buying only models that have been out for a long time without any issues reported or minor issues that seem to have been corrected in the first few years.

Anyway... I made this wrong a right and I will be fine for the next 5 years while I rack up the 600 miles (1K KM) or so per week.

Last edited:
Its late but congrats!! Never own newest Toyota but Im not also fan of Honda transmission. We liked our new Honda CRV but i hated it how they drives with CTV. Ended up trade in for Ford Explorer.

Thx... Currently in Ohio with it visiting friends. I have about 1500km on it now, I've owned it since Wednesday night.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by edwardh1
8 speeds why not 10 or 12
where does the madness end?
seems 4 or 5 would be fine

Honestly lots of speeds and shiftpoints suck in the kind of stop-&-go traffic many people have to drive in. I remember when I was between cars for a while in 2000-2001 and I often borrowed my mother's mid-90's 2.4L Achiva with a 3-speed and it was really good for city traffic 0-45mph. Took forever to get from 45-60 when you need to, that was the drawback. But for the kind of traffic where you can never hold any constant speed for more than a few seconds, it was great not having to deal with constant shifts, or even worse, where it's on the verge of the shift point for 6 or 7 seconds at a time but doesn't get to complete it (on most late 90's and early 2000's Automatics, I think this basically abused the built in slippage they employed to soften shifts, leading to extra wear? )

I don't see a problem with a higher number of gears in an automatic (up to a certain point), I love having 8 speeds in my Corvette for instance. With my 98 Corvette and it's 4 speed auto, the rpm would drop quite a bit on each shift and there were a lot of dead spots in the powerband when you would floor it and it would gear down but would be too far out of the power to pull as hard. But with 8 speeds, there are no dead spots at all, and the trans shifts into the next gear so lightning quick you'd swear it was a DCT (it's not) Having 8 speeds also means it can run a very tall rear end ratio (in this case a 2.41) but it'll pull hard off the line thanks to a short 1st gear ratio (4.56) But then when combined with the tall 8th gear (0.65) it keeps the rpm very low at 60mph (about 1200 rpm) so it allows for 35-40 MPG on the highway (thanks also in part to cylinder shutdown technology that allows it to run on 4 cylinders) I think a 10 speed auto would be even better! Beyond that though, it's mostly going to be about bragging rights.

They can have different programs for shifting and hold gears longer or drop gears with slight accelerator pressure increase etc. It's just there doesn't seem to be any care in some transmission logic today as I experienced with the Highlander that had a constant identity crisis of what gear to be in and then would over react when you pushed slightly harder on the accelerator.

The Rams with the V8 and more gears than the 6 speed in my caravan seems to handle it just fine. My neighbour has a 2017 and it will hold the gears long enough in low speed traffic but drops a gear as soon as you step on the gas a tad bit more at anything more than stop-go traffic and then will drop another if needed the further you push on the gas so it's quite responsive unlike the Highlander that would lug a bit and then drop a few gears and rev up under the same conditions.

Maybe it's just Chrysler's shifting program but it seems no matter how many speeds the transmission has it will respond correctly no matter the situation and it leads to a better driving experience. Other OEs like Toyota and their 8-speed is horrible.

Last edited:
Transmission programming is pretty much the major cause of poor shifting and has been for probably two decades now or more.

Now it's even more relevant as more and more different makes and models use the same third party unit, but the programming is done by vehicle manufacturer.

Toyota will eventually fix Highlander transmission programming, but given that their only job was to write the code, as the tranny itself was designed and manufactured by someone else, they should've gotten it right upon release.

Same goes for other manufacturers, they are simply getting complacent figuring that the customer will eventually get the fix.
It's just but one example of why buying a freshly released model, no matter its prior reputation, should be avoided

Just arrived back in Ontario with the new Van. It's now broken in with 3500km on it and I'm going to change it over to Amsoil SSO 0w20 tomorrow with the Fram Ultra filter. I will then change it out with this same oil/filter combination when the OLM tells me and then do a UOA to see where we stand.

I have a bit of 5w20 / 0w20 in stock still from the Journey/Highlander and because my in-laws run this in their Caravan / CRV so I can run the 20wt for the winter and establish a trend on UOA's and then switch over to the 0w30 and see how it compares.

Originally Posted by bbhero

The MPG is definitely cracked up to be better. The 17/25 on a caravan is a downside dated 5-6 speeds.

I have an 8 speed and it's a bit jerky once in a while but the mpg it delivers is just great in a decent sized CUV(30 MPg average)

I don't pay for gas so it could be a 2 speed for all I care.
lol.gif

This gives the OE's 5 years for them to sort out the higher speed transmission issues in time for me to replace the Caravan with the miles I drive. Heck if it holds out longer I will keep driving it. My repairs are covered and as long as something doesn't majorly go wrong I could be driving it for quite a while if I choose. I mean my dad's has over 300K on it and has had 0 issues so I don't see why this one can't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back