I'm finally retired!

I retired in 2017 . Started drawing my S.S. at age 62 . With my pension , I have no need to take anything out of my 401k . Mortgage is paid off . We're getting by just fine . Enjoy your retirement my friend .

Congrats! Counting the days...(um, OK, years)...
lol.gif

I hope I don't end up as one of those who dies shortly after retirement, but if I do, it won't because I turned into a couch potato. There are so many things I want to do that I couldn't do while I was working, I don't know where to start...

Congratulations.

I retired at 66 1/2. I was having a lot of fun at work but eventually realized "it was time". I missed the people at work and dreamed of work quite often. It took at least 6 months to wind down.

Now I would never go back. I was offered the chance to do work well inside my wheel-house a few months ago. I was pleased to get the offer of course. Thought about it for about 20 minutes and passed the opportunity on to other people who would do a good job.

I'm busier than ever. I don't know where I had the time to work.

Life is good. Stay safe.

My attitude towards retirement was shaped by my father; he had lots of plans for traveling as well as projects around the house- once he retired. He died of lung cancer before he had a chance to retire. I prefer to enjoy life now, rather than consider it to be a brutal slog to be endured until I finally reach the promised land of "retirement."

Originally Posted by MCompact
My attitude towards retirement was shaped by my father; he had lots of plans for traveling as well as projects around the house- once he retired. He died of lung cancer before he had a chance to retire. I prefer to enjoy life now, rather than consider it to be a brutal slog to be endured until I finally reach the promised land of "retirement."

Wow, sorry about your Dad.
Balance is everything; unfortunately I don't know the meaning of the word.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Thanks. Dad's life definitely left an impression on me; I've always lived in his shadow to some degree. It was just sad to know he never had a chance to enjoy so many of the things he worked for.

Congratulations! Retirement is a big step and decision. I look forward to it, yet nervous about it both at the same time. Still got 2.5 years to go!

Retired 3yrs ago @ 66. Granted, it was 40 yrs ago in the shipyard. But many of the old timers lived only a few WEEKS after they retired. Mel, Rico, Bob Hale, Tick Tock. Teddy Duval.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Thanks. Dad's life definitely left an impression on me; I've always lived in his shadow to some degree. It was just sad to know he never had a chance to enjoy so many of the things he worked for.

I have a friend that is definitely going to quality over quantity and lives each day to the fullest.

I was dreading having to work until 66 years and 2 months, my full retirement age. The last 10-12 years I had been working harder and longer with more stress than anytime in my life.

A year ago, at age 64 in a somewhat blatant act of age discrimination I was laid off. I took that as a sign from above. I got a healthy severance package, had a comfortable amount in investments that were immune to the latest market crash and my home was paid for.

My stress level has dropped by about 90%. I feel healthier and less fatigued all the time. I am eating more healthy and have no shortage of projects to keep me busy. Or I can be a slug for a day, watch TV and take a nap if i feel like it.

I am also much more aware of nature around me, the flora and fauna around my new home which is something that working in a stinking cubicle in a windowless office environment made me forget even existed.

I sure wish I could have retired at 50. I think the people who claim that they love their jobs must only make up < 1% of the population.
It is a necessary evil in most cases and the abuse than many workers have to endure in today's corporate environment is almost as bad as what workers has to endure at the beginning of the 20th century but in a different way.

Retired last Nov 2019 after 22 yrs in the NAVY and 26 yrs with WalMart, with so much free time i often forget what day it is, wife keeps me in line.
lol.gif
don't miss the job but do miss all the people that i used to work with.
cheers3.gif

Back