I'm a GM oil life monitor believer

Originally Posted by dave1251
Sorry bud but the people who said not to follow the OLM do not know what they are talking about. It is that simple a few of GM engineers have stated they follow the OLM with the recommend PCMO. The sky is falling crowd is rarely correct and when they are it's not because facts and analysis is followed. It's because if you continue to say something will fail you will be right eventually. Broken clocks are correct twice a day.

I think the olm is a good guide to use as a reference but if you have a vehicle like these DI 3.6 and they're known for timing chain failure and gm themselves recalibrated the olm because they were over optimistic and you still don't take the safe road and change it somewhat sooner than the olm says...well you're asking for trouble Bud.

In my line of work we primarily drive the Suburban and we never had a problem with the engine. We had problems with other things but not the engine....the 5.3 liter V8. I put 130000 miles on a Suburban...wore out the trans and the cat, but the engine seemed to go just fine.

I followed the oil life monitor. Never took it to zero and.was comfortable with 20-30% but knew a lot of guys who took it to zero. Never had issues.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
I think the olm is a good guide to use as a reference but if you have a vehicle like these DI 3.6 and they're known for timing chain failure and gm themselves recalibrated the olm because they were over optimistic and you still don't take the safe road and change it somewhat sooner than the olm says...well you're asking for trouble Bud.

You bring up an interesting point, that is often forgotten here. Imagine owning one of those vehicles where the overly optimistic OLM had to be re-calibrated, and you took it at face value and ran it to 0, lets say for 50K miles, 75K miles or more. Now you find the thing was flawed, I for one wouldn't be a happy camper. It appears the engineers realized later on their calculations were off. A simple UOA could have warned against following the OLM for those people, if they decided to check instead of trust on blind faith. Has the OLM evolved? It sure has, but it appears some people were part of R&D and never knew it.

I stand by my decision, and the experts I consulted. Maybe GM has a better OLM than my Jeep does. If I owned a GM I'd get data and decide if I should follow the OLM or not. Blind faith, no way.

I took the OLM on my gm 3.6 LFX to zero then an additional 1,100 miles on Valvoline maxlife syn. I'm about 3.5k into my 10k OCI on Amsoil SS right now

Here is my UOA

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...k-oci-valvoline-maxlife-5w30#Post5161248

Originally Posted by CheezWhiz
Originally Posted by Railrust
I use the OLM on my 2016 6.0 vortec 2500HD. I use the cheapest dexos 5w30 I can find and wind up changing at about 6500 miles with 10-15 percent left on the OLM.

Who here has actually worn out an engine? I haven't. I guess if I ever do I will start paying more attention.

Keep in mind...I believe your engine (6.0) isn't like a lot of these other V8-V6 engines that manufacturers stuff into their trucks, SUV's and bigger sedans, pretending or trying to achieve great fuel economy numbers. The 6.0 doesn't pretend to even try. So I don't think you have to worry about certain things like...low tension rings (for fuel economy), I don't even think the 6.0 is direct injected (not sure).

I have worn out an engine and I think it was my fault. It was on one of those earlier model direct injection V8's where they told me I could go 5,000-10,000 miles on my oil change intervals. So I started with 5,000 mile OCI's, then got a little brave after reading the Internet oil change interval advice sections, and pushed it to 7,500...then to 8,000. Then when the engine reached 150,000 miles it went from an engine that never used a drop at 70,000 miles....to using a quart every 1,000. Traded it in at 178,000 miles...was a quart every two weeks. I kind of blame myself for that, but maybe it would have happened anyway? Don't know. But I did try going to a heavier weight, didn't help.

very true, the 6.0 has no DI or AFM, just a very basic iron block LS engine. Does have VVT.

that is incorrect my 6.0 L v8 has
Active Fuel management & VVT-LIVC
Aluminum block

Hybrid Vortec MAXX
379HP 472 ftlb torque

My OCI is 4000 miles (gotta keep the AFM working correctly it relies on clean oil for the .Valve Lifter Oil Manifold...)

23MPG Combined

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Excuse the clarification but the GM OLM system in our trucks includes an oil level sensor to alert you to low oil level. I'd guess most other GM models do the same thing. Certain very specific engines had issues and these were allegedly corrected.

Secondly, the OLM was discussed in great detail here and in other forums. It is a robust setup that uses many more factors than you may believe and even accounts for our stationary operations. Highly regarded by folks who have done their research.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
I use the OLM on my 2016 6.0 vortec 2500HD. I use the cheapest dexos 5w30 I can find and wind up changing at about 6500 miles with 10-15 percent left on the OLM.

Who here has actually worn out an engine? I haven't. I guess if I ever do I will start paying more attention.

Keep in mind...I believe your engine (6.0) isn't like a lot of these other V8-V6 engines that manufacturers stuff into their trucks, SUV's and bigger sedans, pretending or trying to achieve great fuel economy numbers. The 6.0 doesn't pretend to even try. So I don't think you have to worry about certain things like...low tension rings (for fuel economy), I don't even think the 6.0 is direct injected (not sure).

I have worn out an engine and I think it was my fault. It was on one of those earlier model direct injection V8's where they told me I could go 5,000-10,000 miles on my oil change intervals. So I started with 5,000 mile OCI's, then got a little brave after reading the Internet oil change interval advice sections, and pushed it to 7,500...then to 8,000. Then when the engine reached 150,000 miles it went from an engine that never used a drop at 70,000 miles....to using a quart every 1,000. Traded it in at 178,000 miles...was a quart every two weeks. I kind of blame myself for that, but maybe it would have happened anyway? Don't know. But I did try going to a heavier weight, didn't help.

very true, the 6.0 has no DI or AFM, just a very basic iron block LS engine. Does have VVT.

Aluminum block

Hybrid Vortec MAXX
379HP 472 ftlb torque

My OCI is 4000 miles (gotta keep the AFM working correctly it relies on clean oil for the .Valve Lifter Oil Manifold...)

23MPG Combined

[Linked Image]

You sure you don't have the 6.2? The 6.2 and the 5.3 have the AFM and direct injection.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid

Aluminum block

Hybrid Vortec MAXX
379HP 472 ftlb torque

23MPG Combined

[Linked Image]

yep, i was referring to the iron block engine in the HD trucks like my 2500HD.

I bought a used Chevy Impala in 2005 after my Granddaughter was born. It had about 90,000 miles and I have no idea on the oil used or intervals. Thought it safer to have a baby in the back seat instead of my pickup.

I changed oil when the change engine oil light came on...think it averaged 6000-6500 miles per oil change. Used dino oil up until 200,000 plus miles, then changed to Mobil 1. Engine was the 3.8

When I sold it as a school car for my friend's Daughter, it had over 306,000 miles. Took about 1 quart of make-up oil between changes.
She has had it over a year now. Still running strong. Engine is least of the problems mostly, here in the "rust belt". The body is starting to show age and minor rust, but I kept it washed up pretty good as possible.

Originally Posted by cecil56
I bought a used Chevy Impala in 2005 after my Granddaughter was born. It had about 90,000 miles and I have no idea on the oil used or intervals. Thought it safer to have a baby in the back seat instead of my pickup.

I changed oil when the change engine oil light came on...think it averaged 6000-6500 miles per oil change. Used dino oil up until 200,000 plus miles, then changed to Mobil 1. Engine was the 3.8

When I sold it as a school car for my friend's Daughter, it had over 306,000 miles. Took about 1 quart of make-up oil between changes.
She has had it over a year now. Still running strong. Engine is least of the problems mostly, here in the "rust belt". The body is starting to show age and minor rust, but I kept it washed up pretty good as possible.

I think it's better to have a baby in the hospital than either the truck or back seat.

A 3800 will always be fine following the oil life monitor. We worked on a fleet of cabs across the street from the Goodyear I worked at and saw one go 60k miles on an oci before the filter rusted through. It still ran fine at over 200k. They all got the same treatment. All 3800s plus a few 4.6 Ford's and 3400 Impalas.

They only lost the engine in one 3400 Impala (at like 280k) and one grand Marquis 4.6 in the few years I worked there. They only brought them to us when they were broken.

Originally Posted by Charlie2015
GM's typically have issues when people run the engines low on oil. The OLM does not account for oil consumption. I have seen a lot of 3.6L (CTS/ATS & Camaro) and 2.4L ecotec (Equinox) timing chain issues from running low on oil. The common consumer can run the OLM down to 0% as long as they keep the oil level full and probably never have an issue. How many people can actually read a dipstick or even know how to check the oil level (engine off and on level ground)?

Sorry Charlie, but the ILM system on our fleet trucks includes an oil level sensor as well. The indicator will flash or the info screen will alert you to needing to add oil.

Originally Posted by 4WD
The Chevrolet Oil Life Monitor (OLM) system is not a simple oil quality sensor, but a software-based, algorithm-driven device that takes into account various operating conditions of the engine to determine when the oil needs changing. Certain driving habits can affect the life of the oil, as well as driving conditions such as temperature and driving terrain. Lighter, more moderate driving conditions and temperature will require less frequent oil changes and maintenance, while more severe driving conditions will require more frequent oil changes and maintenance. Read the table below to see how the OLM system determines oil life:

My experience would confirm this. We have an 18 Colorado with 3.6 GDI engine. My wife is the short trip queen, including 4 (minimum) starts per day with drives of less than 2 miles - and through midwest winters.

I think our record so far is getting to 2600 miles before OLM drops below 10%.

I trust the GM OLM for my two GM vehicles, with synthetic oil due to my climate anywhere from +40C to - 40C (104F to -40F) . They are both low tech, no-DI, no AFM, old school iron with proven reliability. I also use OEM paper filters so I don't worry about dust either. I don't even give it a second thought.

yep, i was referring to the iron block engine in the HD trucks like my 2500HD.

it's an Aluminium block 6.0L with AFM and VVT

it's a unicorn 6.0L

Compression Ratio: 10.7:1

the 6.0L AFM really does save fuel over the 5.3L..

honestly they got the active fuel management working great in the 6.0..
and shifts smoothly from v8 to v4 and back again

she burns no oil at 92k miles
49.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cecil56

The 3.8 is probably one of the best engines GM has made, I've seen those things take about as much abuse and poor maintenance as any engine (and still run well with minimal repairs). A true legend in the automotive industry.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
GM's typically have issues when people run the engines low on oil. The OLM does not account for oil consumption. I have seen a lot of 3.6L (CTS/ATS & Camaro) and 2.4L ecotec (Equinox) timing chain issues from running low on oil. The common consumer can run the OLM down to 0% as long as they keep the oil level full and probably never have an issue. How many people can actually read a dipstick or even know how to check the oil level (engine off and on level ground)?

Sorry Charlie, but the ILM system on our fleet trucks includes an oil level sensor as well. The indicator will flash or the info screen will alert you to needing to add oil.

So you're saying it adjusts the oil life based on the fact that it was run low on oil? I kind of doubt that and assumed it's just telling you that you're low on oil (doesn't come on until you're close to 2qts down in the gm trucks I've got experience with) but if you have information proving it does that would be interesting.

When I worked the express lube most of these vehicles came in with the low oil level warning lit up and they didn't do anything about it but plan to get an oil change within the next few weeks.

So in my opinion, running it low on oil will affect the oil life, but I really doubt it affects how soon the oil life monitor drops.

So you're saying it adjusts the oil life based on the fact that it was run low on oil? I kind of doubt that and assumed it's just telling you that you're low on oil (doesn't come on until you're close to 2qts down in the gm trucks I've got experience with) but if you have information proving it does that would be interesting.

When I worked the express lube most of these vehicles came in with the low oil level warning lit up and they didn't do anything about it but plan to get an oil change within the next few weeks.

So in my opinion, running it low on oil will affect the oil life, but I really doubt it affects how soon the oil life monitor drops.

Please re-read my post. I simply said the indicator will flash if you are low on oil. Flashing is the key here, as it may possibly attract even the dullest driver's attention. Nothing I have said or read online indicates that low oil level will affect the algorithm.

Please re-read my post. I simply said the indicator will flash if you are low on oil. Flashing is the key here, as it may possibly attract even the dullest driver's attention. Nothing I have said or read online indicates that low oil level will affect the algorithm.

Don't most vehicles have a low oil warning light? I ask because I have never let an engine get low enough on oil to cause an issue.

Back