I'm a GM oil life monitor believer

This is my first GM vehicle with the oil life monitor. 2011 Silverado old 4.3 V6, I do a lot of short trips and some highway on the weekends. I'm 4 months into this oil interval with 1,800 miles and I'm at 66% life left. I did not use a dexos oil this time (chevron 5w30) but will be going to QSUD since I stocked up. I'm happy that the OLM is taking into account my short trips, I think I'll just stick to it.

As a 2019 Silverado owner the only thing the OLM cannot take in to account is driving in dusty conditions. If you keep this in mine-one can follow the OLM with confidence.

Of course on BITOG it's "new fangled" technology and you need to trust it.

That alone doesn't fly on this forum too well.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
This is my first GM vehicle with the oil life monitor. 2011 Silverado old 4.3 V6, I do a lot of short trips and some highway on the weekends. I'm 4 months into this oil interval with 1,800 miles and I'm at 66% life left. I did not use a dexos oil this time (chevron 5w30) but will be going to QSUD since I stocked up. I'm happy that the OLM is taking into account my short trips, I think I'll just stick to it.

This is the venerable 4.3 based on the SBC 350 I would not worry about using a DEXOS oil but if you got the QSUD for a deal I would use it.

except you can't always trust it??
frown.gif

https://community.cartalk.com/t/gm-customer-satisfaction-program-recall-of-3-6l-v6-engine/62806

I just got a "Customer Satisfaction Program" letter from GM stating that GM's 3.6 liter V6 (the engine used in the Camaro, Saturn Outlook, LaCrosse, Cadillac CTS, and several other cars) is showing premature wear of the timing chain. A quick check of the web turns up that many who own this engine are experiencing troubles all the way up to the engine fragging.

GM is offering to "change the calibration of the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor, which in most cases will recommed more frequent oil changes".

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
frown.gif

https://community.cartalk.com/t/gm-customer-satisfaction-program-recall-of-3-6l-v6-engine/62806

I just got a "Customer Satisfaction Program" letter from GM stating that GM's 3.6 liter V6 (the engine used in the Camaro, Saturn Outlook, LaCrosse, Cadillac CTS, and several other cars) is showing premature wear of the timing chain. A quick check of the web turns up that many who own this engine are experiencing troubles all the way up to the engine fragging.

GM is offering to "change the calibration of the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor, which in most cases will recommed more frequent oil changes".

One eight year old example, out of hundreds of applications. More at 11.

At that rate you'll be changing at 5400 miles.

I'll trust the OLM when a UOA shows that it's right. Until then, jury's out.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
frown.gif

One eight year old example, out of hundreds of applications. More at 11.

Closers to millions of examples which the iOLM works well.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Corollaman

This is the venerable 4.3 based on the SBC 350 I would not worry about using a DEXOS oil but if you got the QSUD for a deal I would use it.

I planned on just using Chevron again but I got a good deal on QSUD, people have told me that old 4.3 can run a long time on the cheapest of oils. Of course I think Chevron is a great oil too.

Last edited:
frown.gif

This here gentlemen.......is why somethings on here never change. TYPICAL BITOG all too frequent nonsense.

Didn't GM have to recalibrate their lights on some of their vehicles?

I know with my GM the light automatically goes straight to zero percent once you've reached 7,500. Doesn't matter what you do...how how much life you have left...as soon as you hit 7,500, you could be at 30%, and it goes right to 0. So I don't know how much that monitor "knows".

[/quote]

One eight year old example, out of hundreds of applications. More at 11. [/quote]

Yep ... It's almost 11 where I'm at and I have owned GM's for many, many, years. Happen to have 3 right now. I have never seen the OLM not represent my driving conditions and I never exceed the OLM change - which has never steered me past 8k. However, since most of my years were 5k on synthetic (never big on 3k stuff back when) - the OLM has helped me add a couple thousand miles in many cases. Having said that, due to my schedule I will forecast when 0% will hit - so sometimes I'm changing early like at 6500 miles, whatever. I can also check systems remote with my OnStar links. GM's OLM and Dexos are good by me

Originally Posted by JLTD

Exactly. UOA told me following mine would have been a mistake. I had 53% life remaining at 4,411 miles. At 3,980 miles the TBN was 3.9. At 5K miles I changed the oil and had a TBN of 2.9. So it dropped a point in approximately 1K miles. I realize it isn't linear, even so with a cut off of 1 for TBN following the OLM would not have been a good idea. This was with PU 5W30, and the thought of following blanket statements of a good synthetic oil can easily go 10K miles or more would have spelled disaster long term for me.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Exactly. UOA told me following mine would have been a mistake. I had 53% life remaining at 4,411 miles. At 3,980 miles the TBN was 3.9. At 5K miles I changed the oil and had a TBN of 2.9. So it dropped a point in approximately 1K miles. I realize it isn't linear, even so with a cut off of 1 for TBN following the OLM would not have been a good idea. This was with PU 5W30, and the thought of following blanket statements of a good synthetic oil can easily go 10K miles or more would have spelled disaster long term for me.

It would not have been a disaster this is a prefect example of the fruitless point of attempting to calculate TBN. Sodium detergent based Valvoline dropped TBN like a rock then held TBN in the 2-3 range for thousands of miles.

I followed the OLM on my Camaro for 14 years, then started blowing past it when oil consumption went to a quart per 1000 miles at 260k. I trust it.

Well I dont think TBN is actually linear. I'm no engineer so take it for an opinion.

I have an OLM on my 15 F150 5.0. From my readings be glad you have the GM OLM. Mine on the 150 surely is heavy on time and takes no account into the composition of the oil. Sample sent....time or I should say analysis will answer for itself.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Well I dont think TBN is actually linear. I'm no engineer so take it for an opinion.

I have an OLM on my 15 F150 5.0. From my readings be glad you have the GM OLM. Mine on the 150 surely is heavy on time and takes no account into the composition of the oil. Sample sent....time or I should say analysis will answer for itself.

GM's doesn't either. That's why I mentioned it can't take in to account dusty conditions. The trucks (5.3 motors) at least up to 2018 comes OEM with a syn blend oil. So-many report the OLM doesn't go much past 7,500.

A syn-blend should be able to handle that..

Last edited:

It would not have been a disaster this is a prefect example of the fruitless point of attempting to calculate TBN. Sodium detergent based Valvoline dropped TBN like a rock then held TBN in the 2-3 range for thousands of miles.

No disrespect intended. People who know a lot more about the topic than you or I do strongly advised against following my OLM. I'll follow their advice. The oil in my sump was PU, not sodium based Valvoline. After over half a dozen UOAs from using the product in three vehicles I have a pretty good understanding of how its TBN holds up in my user pattern.

No disrespect intended. People who know a lot more about the topic than you or I do strongly advised against following my OLM. I'll follow their advice. The oil in my sump was PU, not sodium based Valvoline. After over half a dozen UOAs from using the product in three vehicles I have a pretty good understanding of how its TBN holds up in my user pattern.

Very, very good response demarpaint... Respectful and saying things in a right way.

Back