Illiteracy

When I was growing up and in grammer school dyslexia was not understood. Teachers had never heard of it. We had one guy in my class who absolutely could not read. I am certain he had it. He used to frustrate the one teacher so bad that she literally went up to him and started pounding on him out of frustration (Parochial school nun). I feel badly for all he went through.

At the store the other day, bill came to $5.12, I gave her a $10 bill, one dime and 2 cents, her response was, You gave me way to much money, this happens a lot. I hope these people never vote. SAD!!!

I can relate. I come from a broken home, I was out of highs school by a few years before i learned to read and write. still can't spell.
I only learned because I was on house arrest and had a computer and way to much time on my hands.
I've totally changed my word. I went form being homeless at 14 to a business owner and debt free by the time I was 37.
I've had several employees that were also illiterate. they would struggle with everyday tasks. I helped a few of them with community collage classes, they have improved, but still have the anxiety and struggle day to day.
if it wasn't for the 486dx2 packardbell and windows 3.1 i might still be in the same boat.
It is sad, and I don't see public schools helping much. Charter schools have the better track record.

I can relate. I come from a broken home, I was out of highs school by a few years before i learned to read and write. still can't spell.
I only learned because I was on house arrest and had a computer and way to much time on my hands.
I've totally changed my word. I went form being homeless at 14 to a business owner and debt free by the time I was 37.
I've had several employees that were also illiterate. they would struggle with everyday tasks. I helped a few of them with community collage classes, they have improved, but still have the anxiety and struggle day to day.
if it wasn't for the 486dx2 packardbell and windows 3.1 i might still be in the same boat.
It is sad, and I don't see public schools helping much. Charter schools have the better track record.
congrats. My mom volunteered at the Literacy Council when she retired back in the 90's and did this up until she got sick. Really noble work, IMO.

I frequently get a taste of illiteracy when traveling through Asia. I'm mildly conversant in a couple of languages and dialects, but can't read at all. And when you get out of the major cities, it's not uncommon to see zero signage in English. While certainly not the same thing, it is definitely an eye opening experience, and gives you at least some perspective of what it must be like. It's not that fun.

At the store the other day, bill came to $5.12, I gave her a $10 bill, one dime and 2 cents, her response was, You gave me way to much money, this happens a lot. I hope these people never vote. SAD!!!
I have dyscalculia, and I wouldn't have a clue how much change to give you. I'm not stupid, and I do vote.

I think is is more logic based; numeric based. But yes, we think in language because words allow us to assign names to objects; assign order.
And of course humans like base 10, for an obvious reason...
That's not entirely true. Babies think. They just don't have a language, or do they? If they do, why do we not remember it and use it?

That depends on their education. In my era dyslexia was unknown, kids with difficulty reading were just ignored and put in lower classes, they often missed years as they were so far behind. So yes, most can read, if they can take their time and use their own methods, but a lot, going to earlier eras, never learnt to read, left school early. My parents never went to highschool, they were working at 13 or earlier...yes they could read, but I bet some of their class mates never did.

Written language has only been used by the general populace for the last couple of hundred years, before that people could lead a life without having to read or write....but they could communicate by spoken language. Same with mathematics, it's only a recent thing for most people to use.
Ancient Athens and ancient Rome had signs and writings. Other places reserved knowledge and literacy for royalty.

Man is DEVOLVING into illiteracy. It's happening now. Around the world.

Cavemen painted in icons and pictures. Egyptians used icons and pictures. Other ancients did similar, before written language.

Humans evolved into beautiful written language that has structure.

It evolved into guttural mis-mash and slang terms and a cant without shared meaning.

Now we communicate with simple abbreviations "ur" "lol" "ymmv" etc., and icons... (n):cry::mad:

Most of the world, or at least the bulk of the people I interact with daily, are really stupid and self-absorbed humans who appear to have no interaction skills or interest in history or historical human interests. They're just plugged into machines that tell them what to think for most of the day.

When I was in the Peace Corps in a far away country some years ago they voted without any need for literacy. Election workers showed you a picture of each of the two candidates, and you pointed to the one you wanted elected.

Man is DEVOLVING into illiteracy. It's happening now. Around the world.

Cavemen painted in icons and pictures. Egyptians used icons and pictures. Other ancients did similar, before written language.

Humans evolved into beautiful written language that has structure.

It evolved into guttural mis-mash and slang terms and a cant without shared meaning.

Now we communicate with simple abbreviations "ur" "lol" "ymmv" etc., and icons... (n):cry::mad:

Most of the world, or at least the bulk of the people I interact with daily, are really stupid and self-absorbed humans who appear to have no interaction skills or interest in history or historical human interests. They're just plugged into machines that tell them what to think for most of the day.

I could not agree more. Well said.

I help out an elderly man, he is a friend now for 9 years. I'm not a Psychiatrist, but he has some type of learning disability maybe some what Autistic. He is not stupid, he can surprise you sometimes. He is illiterate, some types of work he can do, some types he is totally lost and I mean some simple stuff. Its very puzzling.

I help him because he is a person that deserves help and help is not wasted on him, nor does he take advantage of anyone. Actually, some people take advantage of him and under pay him for some work he does like yard work. That part irritates me because some of these people are somewhat wealthy. That part is sad.

When I was in the Peace Corps in a far away country some years ago they voted without any need for literacy. Election workers showed you a picture of each of the two candidates, and you pointed to the one you wanted elected.

I'm sorry, I almost thought that was funny for a split second, but its not. I would be ashamed of myself if I thought that was funny.

When I was growing up and in grammer school dyslexia was not understood. Teachers had never heard of it. We had one guy in my class who absolutely could not read. I am certain he had it. He used to frustrate the one teacher so bad that she literally went up to him and started pounding on him out of frustration (Parochial school nun). I feel badly for all he went through.
Nuns never passed up the chance to vent their pent up frustrations on some little transgressor she was sure was going t o hell anyway, so what the heck. Whack away

Kind of off topic, but I hate that a capital "i" looks like a lower case "l"

I had a hard time reading the title at first because of that :LOL:
In hindsight, there's a few things we could improve but never will.
Numbers have no "context clues", I sure could use more difference between 3, 8, 9, 0, 6, 5 and such.

My friend, you have done well, I admire you. I hope you continue to do great things 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍🍺

I work with a guy that can barely spell and struggles with the correct pronunciation of some words. I usually fill out his part requests for him. Gets by fine other than when he needs to write something important.

Back