Ignition Modules??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5 year old craftsman leaf blower that had a bad coil. I also had a older blower that I removed the coil to use in the other blower. It had a different part number although it looks to be physically the same. Are coils interchangeable? The reason I ask, after putting everything back together I get spark and the machine runs but not a full rpm.

Is it possible that the timing is off, the flywheel was never removed and I know the coil from the old unit was operational.

Originally Posted By: aaxb970
Take it back to Sears....most of there equipement is lifetime warranty.....

Warranty on these units is up.

How about the magnets on the flywheel. You need the proper spacing to have good electrical contact with the coil. A weak contact can cause weak spark on plugs. Could be coil is not properly spec for the blower and proper setting is not correct.

I've used ignition coils not spec for some small engines. Test and adjust making sure the magnet and coil gets good contact for strong spark. It's a patch up job and wise to use the proper coil down the road.

Spacing is fine. I used a match book cover and spark is strong. The only thing is, it doesn't run at full rpm.

Prior to no spark it ran fine. I've checked the muffler and even adjusted the carb and can not get the rpm higher. The only thing I'm thinking is the timing is off since the coil is a different part number, although they look the same.

Are the magnets in both flywheels in the same position? Maybe you need to swap the other flywheel as well?
Also sometimes CDI's seem to lose their advance, I replaced one on my old tundra snowmobile last year and it would rev up to normal rpms again. With the old CDI it would load up at high rpms, but ran totally fine otherwise.

The flywheels are the same part number and the module mounts in the same location. Are you saying the modules have advance built into them? I would have thought they're just coils. Like I said earlier I know the coil is working since it came out of a working unit.

I use a .010" feeler gauge when installing coils on Stihls. I have never measured a matchbook cover but I suspect one would be thicker than .010". Perhaps moving the coil a bit closer would solve the problem.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
The flywheels are the same part number and the module mounts in the same location. Are you saying the modules have advance built into them? I would have thought they're just coils. Like I said earlier I know the coil is working since it came out of a working unit.

Well I'd assume my sled would have some advance built in but maybe not in a leafblower? I think it would need some too but maybe not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back