If your name isn’t Tesla, your EVs are languishing on lots everywhere

I don’t see many temp plates around here for Tesla in NH in an affluent area(seacoast). It is not that popular. MB, BMW , Porsche, Toyota , Jeep, Ford Truck and GMC is what sells.

I just see Rivians for EVs
I’m in the same area, I see a ton of Tesla’s. I have only seen five Rivian‘s in the last year (total). One a Rivian SUV, which really looks nice.

At the risk of examining this issue from common sense view, and from someone who's pockets are not deep, I think there are several factors why EV adoption could be starting to languish. Elon and Tesla has done many things right as the company and technology evolved. Heck, in recent news we have seen many other OEMs adopt the NAS standard for the EV charging plug on their future models.

Why, because the Tesla chargers simply work.....it is that simple according to their owners. But that being said, EV battery and charging technology has a long way to go to catch up with the convenience of ICE vehicles and how they are refueled. I have no idea what the gas dispenser to EV charger ratio is in the U.S. in present day, but it is still not by comparison and easy experience to refuel or recharge an EV as compared to filling up the tank of an ICE vehicle. This alone, even given equal price parity, would stop me from making an EV purchase.

For those of you who own a Tesla, I would be interested to have you post your opinion on what you think of the OEMs all jumping on board to support the Tesla network by using the NAS standard connector.

From my POV I thought the Tesla network was the one of the single primary value-add positions and differentiators that Tesla brought to the industry. Now it seems that exclusivity could be diminished or diluted with other OEMs getting access in a few years.
From what I’ve read from people that invest in Tesla, they have more advantages than just their chargers (although a big advantage). They also have factories that can change and evolve in an instant to accommodate and facilitate changes in technology, allowing them to shift their focus where needed to improve/change their brand. Their charging network is a big advantage. Their battery technology is more advanced, with longer mileage travel. Their vehicle software is working (I have no idea if that’s true, but it’s what I’m lead to believe). That they can update and improve their vehicles quickly, consistently, without having to bring the vehicle in. And the company itself controls the market - we just saw their price cut designed to crush their competition. And the company itself is not a car company, it’s essentially an electric company...an electric storage company, a solar company, a battery company, a charging company, and a car company. People believe this is a wise investment - and after watching their stock rise 100% in the last three months, it’s tough for me to argue.

But honestly, I still have my doubts.

No

The bigger problem is tires. These EV's weigh substantially more than ICE vehicles, causing them to chew through a set of tires that pollutes the air and water we drink....more than ICE vehicles
https://www.dw.com/en/electric-vehicle-tires-a-lesser-known-pollution-headache/a-66189707

Now, back to the benefits of an EV!....what were they again?
:unsure:
I think that really depends on what you buy though. If you buy a big one, definitely it'll be heavier than its ICE equivalent. This one weighs 3,800 lbs and wears a relatively standard size 235/45 18" tire. The problem is twofold for some EVs. Larger ones are heavier and some run narrower tires to improve efficiency. Those two things combined will nuke tires. Add a heavy foot and you're swapping tires every 2 years for an average driver.

512-B271-A-5-D8-F-44-E5-8-A37-F849-EA7-F3806.jpg

20% or more of the on road cars in Norway are EVs, with a high of 33.2% in Oslo to a low of 4.7% in the North. The on road share has doubled in 3 years.

Oftentimes the percentage number refers to new cars sales, not number of cars on the road. Not sure about the Norway number...

If I should someday own an EV, I will treat any road trip as a trip without any schedule, and knowing that it takes however long it takes.
I will also be upgrading my Honda 3500 watt generator to something larger, and taking it along, as well as a couple of gas cans.
I'm pretty comfortable with camping, so don't mind throwing up a tent, and catching my dinner with my fly rod.

15 hours on a generator should get me a ways down the road.

I wish we could stay focused on hybrids. That’s the perfect mix for people in rural places.

If I could have afforded a Wrangler 4xE I would have bought one. I could have driven to work on electric and home on ICE. It would have gotten me to the gym, grocery store, etc. on electric as well.

Since I could not afford any EV or hybrids during my last purchase, I don’t own one now.

Our next minivan will be a hybrid, if I can afford it and not have to wait 6 months to get one. It just makes sense overall.

That is nothing compared to the mining needed to make the batteries. Then burning massive amounts of coal or natural gas to charge the batteries, and then disposing of that battery when its trashed, and mining to make another one.
Nobody buys and EV thinking that they are helping the planet.
If they wanted to help the planet they would buy a small 4 cylinder car, or much better a little scooter style cycle.
These will change and improve as the tech is used and improved. More vehicles will charge with sun, wind and hopefully nuclear supplied power. Also battery materials will change as research finds new battery designs. Hopefully battery reuse/recycling will become common.

If I should someday own an EV, I will treat any road trip as a trip without any schedule, and knowing that it takes however long it takes.
I will also be upgrading my Honda 3500 watt generator to something larger, and taking it along, as well as a couple of gas cans.
I'm pretty comfortable with camping, so don't mind throwing up a tent, and catching my dinner with my fly rod.

15 hours on a generator should get me a ways down the road.

10 years ago when I took my first EV roadtrip I felt the same way.

It's just dead easy here with our level of infrastructure.

These will change and improve as the tech is used and improved. More vehicles will charge with sun, wind and hopefully nuclear supplied power. Also battery materials will change as research finds new battery designs. Hopefully battery reuse/recycling will become common.

I'm sure that it will, we just aren't there yet.

I can totally see myself buying an ev in the future, but not tomorrow.

10 years ago when I took my first EV roadtrip I felt the same way.

It's just dead easy here with our level of infrastructure.

And I don't know where you live, but it seems like some places are super ev friendly for sure. Where I live and drive to, it isn't.
Trust me when I say that someday I would love to park something like a Taycan in my garage.
Its good looking from the pics I've seen, and 750 hp would be a ridiculous amount of fun at times, even if unusable safely 99% of the time...the 1% of the time I could floor it, I would be grinning like a fool.

I think that really depends on what you buy though. If you buy a big one, definitely it'll be heavier than its ICE equivalent. This one weighs 3,800 lbs and wears a relatively standard size 235/45 18" tire. The problem is twofold for some EVs. Larger ones are heavier and some run narrower tires to improve efficiency. Those two things combined will nuke tires. Add a heavy foot and you're swapping tires every 2 years for an average driver.

512-B271-A-5-D8-F-44-E5-8-A37-F849-EA7-F3806.jpg

Nice car, I’m getting one in the near future.

It's definitely your area. I do see massive shifts across different areas here. My town surprises me being a particularly red part of the state. More trucks are lifted than they are stock and I still see some here and at least half of the vehicles here are trucks, but I do see EVs daily. I know one person that owns a Model S, but there's a fair amount of Bolts, Mach-Es, Model 3s, and Model Ys. I wouldn't say they are everywhere but I at least see 1-2 EVs when I drive through town during the day. Go to Madison and they're fairly common. It's not unusual to pull into a parking lot of a store and have about 10% be EVs. I am seeing a shift here though, surprisingly it seems cars are becoming more common regardless what they're powered by. I will say the lifted trucks are taller than ever, but I wonder if some are tired of paying for the gas which could be responsible for the shift. It's only been about the last 3 months that I've noticed while trucks still hold the majority, they're being offset more by cars. It does seem to me those that drive Ford Fusions or at least the ones I've talked to are holding onto them for dear life and are not happy that Ford has ended all sedan production. Fusion owners in particular seem to really love their cars.
Especially when it had the manual transmission option. Too bad Ford were morons and didn't include standard awd with it

And I don't know where you live, but it seems like some places are super ev friendly for sure. Where I live and drive to, it isn't.
Trust me when I say that someday I would love to park something like a Taycan in my garage.
Its good looking from the pics I've seen, and 750 hp would be a ridiculous amount of fun at times, even if unusable safely 99% of the time...the 1% of the time I could floor it, I would be grinning like a fool.
Just get a Dodge Viper ACR with a twin turbo 2200 hp kit. Track monster that will spit flames and sound amazing.

Especially when it had the manual transmission option. Too bad Ford were morons and didn't include standard awd with it
They really bungled the car side of the business. All the money and attention was on the F150 and the Edge. That's all I really see wearing a Ford badge here that's new. There's an occasional new Escape, Mach-E, and the Police department uses Explorers. I see Fusions and a few of the more special Mustangs, but I don't think any of the Mustangs I've seen have been a new one other than the Mach-Es.

Just get a Dodge Viper ACR with a twin turbo 2200 hp kit. Track monster that will spit flames and sound amazing.
Vipers kick ass but as far as car sounds go I'd have to say that's the bottom of the list. I can't think of a more agricultural sound from a performance car, even a highly modified one. Wouldn't stop me from buying on though. The early ones especially still hit me in the way the Lamborghini Diablo and the Ferrari 550 do. I had all the model cars and posters as a kid. Are car posters still a thing?

Back