If your name isn’t Tesla, your EVs are languishing on lots everywhere

Not remotely interested myself until solid state arrives with a Toyota product and increased range.

The economies of scale (and greed) has continued to make most EVs unaffordable in the US. We need a China style EV crash yesterday.

I'm still just waiting to see any brand of ev become popular here. I can go to a mall parking lot of 500 plus cars, drive around it looking for an ev, and spot exactly 0. Not even a Mach E or Lightning.

I want to see some Airs, and Taycans in person.

But nothing, not even a Tesla.

Didn’t Chevy announce the Bolt is dead this year? Or was that the Volt?
Yes, no more Bolt Dec 2023
Reason being to use plant for more profitable pick up trucks

Second reason it will be the only car without GMs new battery packs

Third reason maybe it will compete with the new Chevy Equinox EV as a base Equinox model will be close in price

Last but maybe not final Chevy doesn’t comment on future plans but there is speculation due to some remarks from GM when asked directly an updated Bolt MAYbe announced later 2024 I stress the word speculation. People love the car.

I would like one for fun and they are available in our area at sticker price. They sell well, they are not sitting on dealer lots, your pretty much buying one as it’s being shipped to a dealer or about to be shipped.
We have a second car that is barely used, a small EV might be practical with the taxpayers paying around 25% of the cost.

Never drove one though, most likely never will but it’s a thought to replace our 2012 dead on reliable Mazda with only 90k miles with something more updated in the future

Last edited:
There's a new Tesla store about 20 miles from here. We happened to be driving by it last week.

It's slammed full and they've rented space across the highway at some empty 3rd-tier shopping center parking lot to park the extras. So they have two full parking lots of new Teslas on both sides of a major highway about 25 miles south of Atlanta.

Sometimes. The one big example that I can find where this isn't true is Atari. They were 75 plus percent of the market. It crashed and they never recovered. But VW and GM went into the Chinese market years ago and are still THE vehicle mark to have
Yes I had an Atari computer. They developed the graphic interface that we all use today. I remember lots of discussions about Atari not have the marketing capability or talent to take it further. And they didn't. For all I know, Apple stole the technology.
My computer had 1 mb of ram. All programs were on a small floppy. My neighbor down the street was really into them. He even came up with a program that we could message each other in real time over the phone line.

My comment assumes a company with an established marketing dept. and the product must work.

Yes, no more Bolt Dec 2023
Reason being to use plant for more profitable pick up trucks

Second reason it will be the only car without GMs new battery packs

Third reason maybe it will compete with the new Chevy Equinox EV as a base Equinox model will be close in price

Last but maybe not final Chevy doesn’t comment on future plans but there is speculation due to some remarks from GM when asked directly an updated Bolt MAYbe announced later 2024 I stress the word speculation. People love the car.

I would like one for fun and they are available in our area at sticker price. They sell well, they are not sitting on dealer lots, your pretty much buying one as it’s being shipped to a dealer or about to be shipped.
We have a second car that is barely used, a small EV might be practical with the taxpayers paying around 25% of the cost.

Never drove one though, most likely never will but it’s a thought to replace our 2012 dead on reliable Mazda with only 90k miles with something more updated in the future
The one popular EV other than Tesla and they are going to stop making it. Typical.

Yes I had an Atari computer. They developed the graphic interface that we all use today. I remember lots of discussions about Atari not have the marketing capability or talent to take it further. And they didn't. For all I know, Apple stole the technology.
My computer had 1 mb of ram. All programs were on a small floppy. My neighbor down the street was really into them. He even came up with a program that we could message each other in real time over the phone line.

My comment assumes a company with an established marketing dept. and the product must work.

Apple and Microsoft both had a rich uncle named Xerox thats where the GUI/ UI tech originated.

Xerox Park.

Xerox didnt know what they had.

Hence why I said we don't need to be like Europeans. Let's not let our Gov't dictate what we drive. Ev's really aren't a good choice yet. I said this years ago. You'll have the early adopters the celebrities that wanted one to be cool and "fit in" but for the most part not ready for primetime.

Hence why I said we don't need to be like Europeans. Let's not let our Gov't dictate what we drive. Ev's really aren't a good choice yet. I said this years ago. You'll have the early adopters the celebrities that wanted one to be cool and "fit in" but for the most part not ready for primetime.

Agreed on Gov not dictating what we drive.

How can you or I know what tradeoffs are more or less convenient for other people or what motivations they may have to purchase an EV?

Pretty sure WS6 could care less about cool, or green, but loves a practical 11 second car he couldn't otherwise touch without spending ridiculous money.

Last edited:
I'm still just waiting to see any brand of ev become popular here. I can go to a mall parking lot of 500 plus cars, drive around it looking for an ev, and spot exactly 0. Not even a Mach E or Lightning.

I want to see some Airs, and Taycans in person.

But nothing, not even a Tesla.

Where are you?

Here on the west coast they are everywhere. They may even be the most common vehicle for vehicles newer than five years old.

Its about price.. now that we arent so much into toy cars for the affluent(and giving them a full tax credit)
Now we are marketing/selling to the masses(who dont get the full tax credit)
.. they cant afford 1k a month for a sedan.. only full size trucks... :LOL:

(mix of sarcasm and truth)

I'd replace the 2020 elantra with a bolt but bolts with similar features would break 35k out the door price (elantra was 15k currently about 23k)
throw on some atrocious doubled interest and 90% of EV's arent affordable.
Of course affordable is a relative term. I feel like especially with Tesla the cost proposition drops the bang for your buck pretty quickly. The base versions and midrange versions of the 3 and Y are in line with the vehicles they compete with, well the Y does, there aren't many mid size sedans left though even the ones that exist don't seem to sell well, people just choose crossovers instead. Once we start talking $80k vehicles we're no longer considering bang for buck. You're already paying something for a bit more exclusivity at that point.

BTW, love the avatar.

Back