If your name isn’t Tesla, your EVs are languishing on lots everywhere

Big problem is prices. This includes the premium pricing on SUV's and PU trucks in both ICE and EV.
And ranges have still not hit the magic "how many miles could I drive in a day and be able to recharge on a long trip."
No

The bigger problem is tires. These EV's weigh substantially more than ICE vehicles, causing them to chew through a set of tires that pollutes the air and water we drink....more than ICE vehicles
https://www.dw.com/en/electric-vehicle-tires-a-lesser-known-pollution-headache/a-66189707

Now, back to the benefits of an EV!....what were they again?
:unsure:

No

The bigger problem is tires. These EV's weigh substantially more than ICE vehicles, causing them to chew through a set of tires that pollutes the air and water we drink....more than ICE vehicles
https://www.dw.com/en/electric-vehicle-tires-a-lesser-known-pollution-headache/a-66189707

Now, back to the benefits of an EV!....what were they again?
:unsure:

If tire dust is a problem why is it that you are more worried about the minority offender than the majority offender?

There are FAR more heavy trucks than Ev's in the US and thats not likely to change so really isnt this just you being selective about this problem?

If tire dust is a problem why is it that you are more worried about the minority offender than the majority offender?

There are FAR more heavy trucks than Ev's in the US and thats not likely to change so really isnt this just you being selective about this problem?
I'm not concerned with heavy trucks (of which are greatly outnumbered by passenger vehicles).
I'm pointing out an issue that contributes to the reason's why EV's aren't as great as they claim to be (environmentally at least).

I'm not concerned with heavy trucks (of which are greatly outnumbered by passenger vehicles).
I'm pointing out an issue that contributes to the reason's why EV's aren't as great as they claim to be (environmentally at least).

The number 1 selling vehicle in america for the last 40 years has been the half ton truck.
If one cares about the environment we need to care about the weight and number of trucks before Ev's.

In that tire dust makes EV's less environmentally friends if one cares about that they need to consider it - agreed.

I'm not one that cares about that myself.

Even though I dont have one today EV's are still very attractive to me.

I care about about things like not spending my time to go to a gas station 52 times or more a year, and love the convenience of waking up everyday with a full tank.

I also really like performance, and an 11 second EV is going to be way cheaper to own maintain and drive than an 11 second ice vehicle by conservatively a factor of 2. My last 11 second ice vehicle (that wasnt a motorcycle) only got 9 MPG and had a sub 200 mile range.

I also like that fact that I can charge a car in a power outage with my home backup genset when all the local gas stations are shut down.

That is nothing compared to the mining needed to make the batteries. Then burning massive amounts of coal or natural gas to charge the batteries, and then disposing of that battery when its trashed, and mining to make another one.
Nobody buys and EV thinking that they are helping the planet.
If they wanted to help the planet they would buy a small 4 cylinder car, or much better a little scooter style cycle.

Parking lot #1, as promised, not a single ev to be seen.

20230714_092959.jpg

I'll post some more next week to.
If I post 50 pics, averaging 50 vehicles per pic, that is 2500 vehicles, and I can almost guarantee that not even 1 EV will be amongst those 2500.
People here just do not drive EVs.
Every 2 or 3 months I will see an EV somewhere.

I'll post some more next week to.
If I post 50 pics, averaging 50 vehicles per pic, that is 2500 vehicles, and I can almost guarantee that not even 1 EV will be amongst those 2500.
People here just do not drive EVs.
Every 2 or 3 months I will see an EV somewhere.
Meanwhile yesterday on the way to work I had a Tesla behind me, one in front of me, and next to me in the other lane two more Teslas. So between my Volt and those Teslas that’s 4.5 EVs right next to each other.

The day before that I drove from Concord to LA and back pretty much nonstop. The gas engine in my Volt came in handy. If I had a real EV it would have taken several hours longer. But even on the 5 I was surprised just how many Teslas there were. Quite a few Bolts as well. And I noticed one Ioniq 5 lol.

That is nothing compared to the mining needed to make the batteries. Then burning massive amounts of coal or natural gas to charge the batteries, and then disposing of that battery when its trashed, and mining to make another one.
Nobody buys and EV thinking that they are helping the planet.
If they wanted to help the planet they would buy a small 4 cylinder car, or much better a little scooter style cycle.

If they really wanted to help the planet they would keep what they have and not buy anything new.

^^^ I agree. ^^^

But I also think the fact that Tesla was NOT a bland spin-off of GM or Ford, many liked a new and innovative vehicle.

Let’s not forget the tech, styling, performance and allure of a Tesla. No doubt there’s tons of ’wow factor’ with a Tesla. I will be buying a Tesla in the future.
What styling do you speak of?
Other than the Model S, a now quite dated blatant Maserati knockoff, Teslas look like unfinished junior college design projects.
The tech is also at the same level in all current EVs. Nothing exclusive to Tesla.

Other than the Model S, a now quite dated blatant Maserati knockoff, Teslas look like unfinished junior college design projects.
The tech is also at the same level in all current EVs. Nothing exclusive to Tesla.

Stylings is in the eye of the beholder.

Tech is not. Bob Lutz used to say that, until he learned otherwise.

A guy named Sandy Munro breaks down all these cars part by parts and disagrees with you.

Meanwhile yesterday on the way to work I had a Tesla behind me, one in front of me, and next to me in the other lane two more Teslas. So between my Volt and those Teslas that’s 4.5 EVs right next to each other.

The day before that I drove from Concord to LA and back pretty much nonstop. The gas engine in my Volt came in handy. If I had a real EV it would have taken several hours longer. But even on the 5 I was surprised just how many Teslas there were. Quite a few Bolts as well. And I noticed one Ioniq 5 lol.

While I don't doubt that is certain regions there are some EVs driving around.
My point is that they are not taking over the world, as some people would like to believe.

Somewhere on the forum recently Norway was discussed.
My dad was born in Canada, as was I, but his parents were born in Norway, and I still have lots of relatives there, and have been to Norway 14 times, including April of this year, when I was there for 15 days, before going to Russia.
Norway has not been taken over by EV cars, not even close. Maybe 2% of vehicles there are electric.
I was also in Moscow in April, big city, with lots of vehicles, and I saw more deer than I did electric cars in Moscow.
In my week of being in Moscow I saw 4 deer, which was far more than the electric cars I saw. So no, there isn't a world dominance of electric cars. I drive a lot in an average year, far more than the average person does, 90% of it in semi trucks. I can do a 6000 km week, and see 0 EV cars, then do another 6000 km week the following week, and see 0 again. May was the last time I saw an EV, but who knows, I possibly could tomorrow, but unlikely.

Agreed 100%.

Tesla are ugly, and if they ever actually get that pickup done, it will be the ugliest pickup ever made...and that is saying a lot, because we were given things like the Avalanche, and titan to compete with for ugliest pickup already.

It’s about price.. 90% of EV's arent affordable.
that’s a lot of it and is the only reason I don’t own a Tesla Plaid. It’s also about range. Other makes fall short here. Often in an attempt to be competitive.

I wrote about my Kia EV Uber ride From HPN to SWF airport, less than 70 miles interstate. Started out with tons o range showing on the dashboard liar. (The range display) arrived with the driver desperate to find a charger To get back to HPN.

Norway has not been taken over by EV cars, not even close. Maybe 2% of vehicles there are electric.
20% or more of the on road cars in Norway are EVs, with a high of 33.2% in Oslo to a low of 4.7% in the North. The on road share has doubled in 3 years.

20% or more of the on road cars in Norway are EVs, with a high of 33.2% in Oslo to a low of 4.7% in the North. The on road share has doubled in 3 years.

Go there yourself, look around.
Take pictures of the parking lots and post them.

Not even close to 20%.

Back