If your name isn’t Tesla, your EVs are languishing on lots everywhere

In counterpoint to @JeffKeryk post last week about Tesla’s skyrocketing sales, the reality is almost none of the other options are turning out to be popular with consumers. No wonder why Ford is posting 10-digit losses by trying to shove stuff down drivers’ throats. Maybe if the market was just allowed to determine what buyers want, and some shady people in a certain zip code just kept their hands off policy…

Probably more of a “super-expensive EVs aren’t selling” thing.

For example, the Chevrolet Bolt easily outsells the Tesla Model X and S combined in the USA. Model 3 and Y sell extremely well. Model S and X sell no better than many legacy-auto EVs.

Its about price.. now that we arent so much into toy cars for the affluent(and giving them a full tax credit)
Now we are marketing/selling to the masses(who dont get the full tax credit)
.. they cant afford 1k a month for a sedan.. only full size trucks... :LOL:

(mix of sarcasm and truth)

I'd replace the 2020 elantra with a bolt but bolts with similar features would break 35k out the door price (elantra was 15k currently about 23k)
throw on some atrocious doubled interest and 90% of EV's arent affordable.

Last edited:
Lol drowning in 90 days of inventory?

I remember when early by July you wanted at least 4 months of inventory of top sellers to be “healthy “

Now 90 days which was historically considered edge of lean is too much, lol.

It’s not the end of year clearance yet

Its about price.. now that we arent so much into toy cars for the affluent(and giving them a full tax credit)
Now we are marketing/selling to the masses(who dont get the full tax credit)
.. they cant afford 1k for a sedan.. only full size trucks... :LOL:

(mix of sarcasm and truth)

I'd replace the 2020 elantra with a bolt but bolts with similar features would break 35k out the door price (elantra was 15k currently about 23k)
throw on some atrocious doubled interest and 90% of EV's arent affordable.
Didn’t Chevy announce the Bolt is dead this year? Or was that the Volt?

First to market always captures market and holds it for a long long time.

^^^ I agree. ^^^

But I also think the fact that Tesla was NOT a bland spin-off of GM or Ford, many liked a new and innovative vehicle.

Let’s not forget the tech, styling, performance and allure of a Tesla. No doubt there’s tons of ’wow factor’ with a Tesla. I will be buying a Tesla in the future.

Last edited:
In counterpoint to @JeffKeryk post last week about Tesla’s skyrocketing sales, the reality is almost none of the other options are turning out to be popular with consumers. No wonder why Ford is posting 10-digit losses by trying to shove stuff down drivers’ throats. Maybe if the market was just allowed to determine what buyers want, and some shady people in a certain zip code just kept their hands off policy…
Tesla sales have been on a constant rise before the latest round of subsidies. Mach-E gets half the credit because it is made in Mexico.
Bolts get the full credit. Lotsa EVs get the credit or partial.

The Tesla price cuts have put the squeeze on other makers who are already sell at negative margins in their EV business. I am seeing tons of new Model Y and Model 3 around here since the cuts were announced. A lot...
Tesla's Supercharger Network has proved to be a smart investment; getting on board should help the other companies.

The Model Y is the #1 selling car in the world of any kind through the 1st half of this year. One would suppose there are reasons for it.
The Corolla has been king, by numbers, for years. By revenue, the Model Y was #1 last year and it was pretty clear it would be #1 in sheer numbers this year. That was before the subsidies.

Didn’t Chevy announce the Bolt is dead this year? Or was that the Volt?
The Bolt. The car has been a loss leader; they used to lose $9K on every sale. The problem is the older battery tech; it costs too much. Owners love 'em. Here's my neighbor's latest; it is their 3rd lease. Got it last week.
1689208148188.jpg

At the risk of examining this issue from common sense view, and from someone who's pockets are not deep, I think there are several factors why EV adoption could be starting to languish. Elon and Tesla has done many things right as the company and technology evolved. Heck, in recent news we have seen many other OEMs adopt the NAS standard for the EV charging plug on their future models.

Why, because the Tesla chargers simply work.....it is that simple according to their owners. But that being said, EV battery and charging technology has a long way to go to catch up with the convenience of ICE vehicles and how they are refueled. I have no idea what the gas dispenser to EV charger ratio is in the U.S. in present day, but it is still not by comparison and easy experience to refuel or recharge an EV as compared to filling up the tank of an ICE vehicle. This alone, even given equal price parity, would stop me from making an EV purchase.

For those of you who own a Tesla, I would be interested to have you post your opinion on what you think of the OEMs all jumping on board to support the Tesla network by using the NAS standard connector.

From my POV I thought the Tesla network was the one of the single primary value-add positions and differentiators that Tesla brought to the industry. Now it seems that exclusivity could be diminished or diluted with other OEMs getting access in a few years.

I completely disagree that Tesla has "rocketing sales" They beat their projection by 20k vehicles. They are still way over manufacturing as this is the 5th quarter in a row that they have overproduced vehicles. Third they are offering three years of free supercharging in Canada. Tesla only dropped that when sales initially took off. They've only brought back free supercharging when they can't move products. From analysts reports new Teslas are sitting on lots. Three years ago almost every single one was sold ipon arrival.

Why, because the Tesla chargers simply work.....it is that simple according to their owners. But that being said, EV battery and charging technology has a long way to go to catch up with the convenience of ICE vehicles and how they are refueled. I have no idea what the gas dispenser to EV charger ratio is in the U.S. in present day, but it is still not by comparison and easy experience to refuel or recharge an EV as compared to filling up the tank of an ICE vehicle. This alone, even given equal price parity, would stop me from making an EV purchase.
It's not what you think. Certainly it depends on your use case. I charge at home with a dedicated 240V NEMA 14-50 circuit. Unless I am driving over 200 miles in 1 day, there is zero reason to visit a Supercharger.
The last time I was on a supercharger, I was on a 200 mile round trip drive. I started with about 160 mile remaining range, so I stopped for 10 minutes to add 80+ miles. Plenty to get home. 5 minutes would have been enough. That same trip does not require a charge if I start with a full charge.
This also depends on Supercharger availability; there are a lot around here; other areas are not as well equipped. The network is constantly growing; Ford and GM will now accelerate the growth.

How far do you drive, on average, per day?
I can tell you, there is nothing like starting each day with a full tank, simply by plugging in when you get home. Going somewhere to gas up sucks in comparison. Sounds silly, but these cars are different. You learn. That's my experience.

I don’t see many temp plates around here for Tesla in NH in an affluent area(seacoast). It is not that popular. MB, BMW , Porsche, Toyota , Jeep, Ford Truck and GMC is what sells.

I just see Rivians for EVs

First to market always captures market and holds it for a long long time.
Sometimes. The one big example that I can find where this isn't true is Atari. They were 75 plus percent of the market. It crashed and they never recovered. But VW and GM went into the Chinese market years ago and are still THE vehicle mark to have

Lol drowning in 90 days of inventory?

I remember when early by July you wanted at least 4 months of inventory of top sellers to be “healthy “

Now 90 days which was historically considered edge of lean is too much, lol.

It’s not the end of year clearance yet
Part of the problem is dealers adding 5k to the sticker price for "market adjustment".
Any dealer doing these addons deserves to be swamped with unsold vehicles.

It's not what you think. Certainly it depends on your use case. I charge at home with a dedicated 240V NEMA 14-50 circuit. Unless I am driving over 200 miles in 1 day, there is zero reason to visit a Supercharger.
The last time I was on a supercharger, I was on a 200 mile round trip drive. I started with about 160 mile remaining range, so I stopped for 10 minutes to add 80+ miles. Plenty to get home. 5 minutes would have been enough. That same trip does not require a charge if I start with a full charge.
This also depends on Supercharger availability; there are a lot around here; other areas are not as well equipped. The network is constantly growing; Ford and GM will now accelerate the growth.

How far do you drive, on average, per day?
I can tell you, there is nothing like starting each day with a full tank, simply by plugging in when you get home. Going somewhere to gas up sucks in comparison. Sounds silly, but these cars are different. You learn. That's my experience.
Jeff, thank you for your comment. I understand that there are differing profiles for EV ownership. I think where I was trying to go with my observation is that at this point in time given the lack of EV charging infrastructure in my area of travels, and my profile of driving, I cannot justify making an EV investment especially as an only or dependent second car where the use case for long distance driving may be required. If price parity comes into play, I could see potentially owning one as a pleasure vehicle.

Part of the problem is dealers adding 5k to the sticker price for "market adjustment".
Any dealer doing these addons deserves to be swamped with unsold vehicles.
Companies are lowering MSRP and dealers are discounting unsold EVs.
Things are changing. But I agree what the dealer's did over the past few years is BS.
This is probably another reason customers are moving to Tesla with their direct sales model. Nobody trusts dealerships anymore; they earned their bad rep.

Jeff, thank you for your comment. I understand that there are differing profiles for EV ownership. I think where I was trying to go with my observation is that at this point in time given the lack of EV charging infrastructure in my area of travels, and my profile of driving, I cannot justify making an EV investment especially as an only or dependent second car where the use case for long distance driving may be required. If price parity comes into play, I could see potentially owning one as a pleasure vehicle.
If I could not charge at home I would not own an EV. The #1 reason owners go back to ICE is charging problems. People send that kinda coin and not understand how they work? Please...

Here's the Supercharger Map.

Back