if your kid wanted to put in a camera system to watch you, what would you think?

my mom is 82 and living by herself. we want to put in a camera system to monitor her movement around the house and the outside . i have not discussed it with her yet.

So how would you feel to be monitored by a camera in your home all the time by your kids.

we would monitor her remotely

I don't think it's unreasonable to bring it up, but I would of course not be the least bit forceful about it. If there is any indication they aren't 100% on board, it's a no-go. For privacy reasons, there would be obvious places that would not be covered by cameras, such as bathrooms and the bedroom. For that reason, I wonder how effective such a system would be.

As an alternative some type of system with a wireless wearable pendant might be a better option. That way mom maintains her privacy, but has a way to call for help in the event of a fall, intruder, etc.

Depends on my status, duh! What's wrong with her that you want to watch her. Very important to the thread to know this information above all else.

Personally, I'd rather be filmed in my USUAL, limited number of spots, such as ONLY the living room or kitchen, porch and outside, if I've got some condition that makes me a fall risk or some sort. If you don't see me in my usual chair watching TV during my usual times or see me fall taking the trash out, then come check.

I do NOT want you watching me picking my nose or scratching my butt in my own bedroom, however.

my mom is 82 and living by herself. we want to put in a camera system to monitor her movement around the house and the outside . i have not discussed it with her yet.

So how would you feel to be monitored by a camera in your home all the time by your kids.

i would bash him in the head with the friggin camera and ask him if was stoned. NO!

Had that setup for MIL and FIL.
It does lead to stressful situations.......
It depends on the individuals of course.
I wasn't a fan of the cameras as their lives tend to bleed into yours, in not a good way.

I don't think it's unreasonable to bring it up, but I would of course not be the least bit forceful about it. If there is any indication they aren't 100% on board, it's a no-go. For privacy reasons, there would be obvious places that would not be covered by cameras, such as bathrooms and the bedroom. For that reason, I wonder how effective such a system would be.

As an alternative some type of system with a wireless wearable pendant might be a better option. That way mom maintains her privacy, but has a way to call for help in the event of a fall, intruder, etc.
her house is basically a rectangle. would put one on each outside corner and then one on the inside to monitor the living room. its a split level so in the right position a camera can see the stairs and the kitchen. we are most concerned in her leaving the stove on so may put a camera in the kitchen. Costco has a 6 camera system that i think would work nicely

Old people start becoming very stubborn at around 60s and get VERY stubborn by 75 or so. I would imagine an 82 year old would throw the camera at you if she found out.

Many parents dont want that. If they needed your help and you weren't available, they probably would get mad. Usually you can't win with old people.

Many parents dont want that. If they needed your help and you weren't available, they probably would get mad. Usually you can't win with old people.
"All I want is for you to drop by about around 10:30am or so. You only have to stay until we've had a chance to talk and you helped with supper."

What about an Alexa type device(s) that you/she can initiate voice or video calls with? You can setup stuff like medication reminders and probably tons of other options.
If you fall and can't get up, you can call a buddy for help through Alexa.

Alert feature
You can't predict when you'll need help, Ask My Buddy lets you immediately alert someone in your Personal Alert Network that you need them to check on you. You may alert just 1 or all of your contacts with just one command. Simply say, 'Alexa, Ask My Buddy to alert YourContact' or 'Alexa, Ask My Buddy to send help', and Ask My Buddy will immediately send an alert, notifying them to check on you right away. Alerts will be sent by text message, an email, and a voice telephone call.

Premium users can let Contacts know what type of help they may need just by saying a few more words after the Send Help command. Contacts will receive the added information in each text message, email, and voice call. ‘Alexa, Ask My Buddy to Send Help I have fallen and am on the floor’

Check In feature
Have you wished that you could easily let your family that you are doing ok? Ease their minds with a 'Check In' message to your contact by saying "Alexa, Ask My Buddy to check in with yourContact" or you can check in with all of your Contacts at once. Check In messages are sent the same way alerts are, by text message, an email, and a voice telephone call. Use Check In messages each day to let your family know you are doing OK, or use the Check In after you return from taking a walk, even kids can use it to let parents know they arrived home from school.

Ask My Buddy is not a substitute for 911, but rather an additional tool offering the security of knowing help is just a shout away.

Years ago my wife called our life a hybrid soap opera > All my children are young and restless …
What a pain to travel with … So we got a loaded Yukon with a DVD system …
Then they were telling us to be quiet … 😎
Wireless headsets came next …

If your Mom is fully aware and OK with it, then guess it would be fine if the purpose was to look out for her. If she doesn't want it, then don't do it.

Nope.

I think everyone would be better served by some commercial system for such a purpose ...

Really think about this how are you going to even watch this enough to be effective... in real time? Monitored system with fire, smoke, heat and panic....

Yeah. My grandmother would wear it when someone was around then as soon as they left she'd take it off. Tried it with my mom as well. When she had her heart attack and laid on the floor all night the thing was hanging on the back of a chair nearby, useless. We let mom live at home until it was beyond obvious that it was dangerous and after a fall her doctor said no more living alone and she went to assisted living. She died on Dec 14 at 90 from the C****.

Yeah. My grandmother would wear it when someone was around then as soon as they left she'd take it off. Tried it with my mom as well. When she had her heart attack and laid on the floor all night the thing was hanging on the back of a chair nearby, useless. We let mom live at home until it was beyond obvious that it was dangerous and after a fall her doctor said no more living alone and she went to assisted living. She died on Dec 14 at 90 from the C****.
Truly sorry to hear about your mom. My grandma passed away due to Parkinson's this fall. She was in an assisted living facility I couldn't visit due to the... thing. It sounds like they would have let us visit in the late stages, but I didn't know how bad it was getting until it was too late. We had a visit planned (still went to see my grandpa) about a week after she passed. Crappy timing (not that there's ever a good time).

If I would do something as insenative as putinng a camera in my mother she would very very mad at me for invading her privacy space. Dumbest idea to date.

Back