What would you take off if you were going into the water to save a drowning person?

Having had to jump in a few times for similar events I just tossed my radio and my cell phone. Part of the reason why I never carried car keys or a wallet on duty.

At the minimum, shoes. Then socks and shirt if I'm running to the water and have time to.
I'd do the same, but in slow motion, with the setting sun casting long shadows, and some sort of instrumental montage music going in the background. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
I saved one person. He fell of his Yamaha WaveRunner just outside the Jupiter Inlet, in "victory at sea" conditions (rough). His WaveRunner was rolled by the waves, the seat came off and contents came out. He had no life vest on (a requirement in Florida) and was a body builder type.

Took a while to reach him due to the big waves and by then he was struggling from being pounded by surf. He held on to the handle of my SeaDoo and withstood the jet blast.

I dropped him off near shore where he could stand and there were only small waves. He promptly drowned right there.

Ran my SeaDoo up on the beach, walked out and pulled him up on the sand feet first, putting his head as low as I could on the sand, the beach had a small ridge and this helped. His lungs were full of water. Pushed it out by putting weight on his chest. I did not do real CPR as by then, he was coughing and gagging like crazy. So I knew he was still alive.

But to answer the OP's question, I would NEVER have jumped in the water with him. The waves were big and rough. I would not have done well in that.

This was a serious question? I'd rip off my shoes and socks together. My pants come off really fast. A thin shirt I may leave on or if a button shirt I may tear it off in shreds in a manly manner if there are admiring bystanders.

I'd do the same, but in slow motion, with the setting sun casting long shadows, and some sort of instrumental montage music going in the background. :ROFLMAO:

Real photo of @eljefino saving a drowning person.

1701902610200.jpg

Didn't have to remove anything. On vacation in Acapuloco, Mexico many years ago. Dragged an exhausted, gasping and bobbing young fellow out of the surf. His beach boyfriend was very grateful.

Lotta accidental lifeguards here!

True story, I did pull my 3-4 y/o out of the lake water. He was standing in it, up to his eyeballs, nose and mouth underwater. Was watching both him and his younger brother by myself, a full time job. He might have been panicking but he was just standing there silently. It's true that they say that drowning doesn't look like drowning. IDK if he took one step too many from shore or what...

True story, I did pull my 3-4 y/o out of the lake water. He was standing in it, up to his eyeballs, nose and mouth underwater. Was watching both him and his younger brother by myself, a full time job. He might have been panicking but he was just standing there silently. It's true that they say that drowning doesn't look like drowning. IDK if he took one step too many from shore or what...
sometimes little kids do weird stuff just for the heck of it. maybe he was holding his breath, but better safe then sorry

Shed shoes and socks for sure, as well as pants and shirt. You can't get much kick with shoes on and wet clothing only drags you down.
Asses the situation before going in. If the victim is caught in a strong current or tide you probably can't help him without some watercraft or at least a flotation device you can throw him.
Panic kills people in the water, so if you do approach someone in distress, speak to them in calm terms and tell them that you've come to help and that you'll get them out if they stop struggling.
Once you have someone, continue to reassure them. Tell them they should relax and that you've got them.
I was certified as a rescue diver years ago and one of the first things we were taught is that if a person you're trying to save is all over you, sink. They won't hold on and go with you. Of course, that's easy to do when you have a reg in your mouth. Just as with swimmers, panic is what kills divers.

Maybe throw my phone if that and take off my hoodie if I’m wearing one. I wear lace up boots so they’re staying on, takes too long to get them off. Keys be ****ed and I don’t carry cash so the cards in my wallet will be fine. If I don’t throw the phone it’s whatever, because as much as I claim I dislike the general public a phone is worth so much less than most people’s lives.

I think my cell phone is good for 1m so just my shoes and possibly my jacket if I was wearing one. My sons are way faster swimmers than me so I'd be yelling for them too!

Yeah, my son is getting his life guard training and they go over how to deal with panicked people in the water so you can minimize this. Not to say its always going to work perfectly!
Yeah, my Daughter is a life guard now, she has it easy at a Yacht club pool, I had a wave pool and the Ocean.

Part of the intense survival training I undertook many years ago included swimming with pajamas on in a pool. Ideal conditions. Intent was to simulate swimming with clothes on. Huge difference in required effort compared to swimming with just swim trunks due to the drag.

After assessing the conditions and assuming there is no other option but to go in, I would take as much off as I can on. Even wearing underpants for modesty, you can assume you will probably lose them. Key is to get to the victim as quickly as possible and bring them back to safety without compromising yourself. Appreciate it takes a few additional seconds to undress, but the benefits are assured when swimming more efficiently and minimizing the risk of exhaustion. Remember you need to be able to tow the victim unless there are others there to hand-off to. Even treading water is more challenging with clothes on once you are emersed.

Same story. I pulled a three year old girl out of Steel Lake in Federal Way, WA over 40 years ago. She was not breathing, but threw up and started breathing right after I handed her off to the lifeguard. The water was only waist deep for me. A year later my sister chanced to meet the parents at her church and I was able to find out she was okay. I spent a lot of time worrying that I did not react quickly enough.

Same story. I pulled a three year old girl out of Steel Lake in Federal Way, WA over 40 years ago. She was not breathing, but threw up and started breathing right after I handed her off to the lifeguard. The water was only waist deep for me. A year later my sister chanced to meet the parents at her church and I was able to find out she was okay. I spent a lot of time worrying that I did not react quickly enough.

Yes, drowning truly doesn’t look anything like in the movies.

I pulled my son out of a swimming pool on one of our vacations. He went into the deep end and run out of strength to keep afloat.
My wife never noticed he needed help.

Parents should get their kids swimming lessons at least for basic swimming. Don't depend on the blow up swim aids you can get for young children. Either have them learn to swim or wear a life preserver if the water is over their heads.

My parents took me for swimming lessons when young and then YMCA camp where there were swimming lessons every day I think. In high school I got Senior Lifesaving certified and after college NAUI and PADI certified for scuba.

This thread reminds me of the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry is more concerned about his Blackberry than saving his friend's daughter. lol

• Haha
Reactions: GON
I saved one person. He fell of his Yamaha WaveRunner just outside the Jupiter Inlet, in "victory at sea" conditions (rough). His WaveRunner was rolled by the waves, the seat came off and contents came out. He had no life vest on (a requirement in Florida) and was a body builder type.
Jupiter inlet is no joke !

If the water was still and they were close maybe. They could grab you and make you drown too hah

I was a very good swimmer when I was younger (always in the water) I went ocean snorkeling a few years back and I was shocked how hard it was the swim now being older and way more sedentary.

Back