if your kid wanted to put in a camera system to watch you, what would you think?

If I would do something as insenative as putinng a camera in my mother she would very very mad at me for invading her privacy space. Dumbest idea to date.
Where do you see that this is being done without their knowledge or consent? If it is put up with their knowledge, it is not invasion of privacy.
Just get one of those " I have fallen and cant get up" things. The last thing I want is someone watching me checking out on camera then posting it on Facebook.
As said, it is good in theory, but it needs to be used and worn (and work).
My mother in law has one, sitting on the table by her recliner. The last 3 times she fell and could not get up she was on the floor for 4-9 hours, with one requiring hospitalization from laying on the cold floor for so long (yet she still will not wear it). Her son that lives across the street goes by her house 3-4 times a day (morning mid day and night, and sometimes other visits) as well as my wife and her sister calling her 2-3 times a day.
There has been talk of putting a camera on her recliner (where she spends 90% of her time) so she can be checked on quickly. She has not said no outright, but has not agreed to it either.
And what kind of kids do you have that would post the video on facebook?
Ask her “Hey mom, what do you think about us getting one of those security cameras? That way we can check on you if we haven’t heard from you.”

Everyone is different. My grandpa doesn’t care at all.
This.
I have discussed this with my mom, and she said when the time comes, she would be OK with it. One in her living room (can see her living room, dining room, outside patio, and most of her kitchen floor) and one in her bedroom down low that can see the floor of bedroom and bathroom.
Only time cameras could be used is if no answer on her phone. Cameras have 2 way audio.

The Alexa thing would work also, but I am not willing to give up my privacy for security.

I already have cameras inside and outside my home, so would not really bother me. Ifat some point in the future my kids (who are still young and at home) want to use them to monitor me, they need to understand that if they look at them without me knowing about it, they will probably see some things they don't want to.

My daughter bought a Furbo (am I saying that right?) so she could swatch our dog from college (because she’d miss her so much).

Well, it was placed right in the family room where I watched tv every night. And I’d forget about that while I was sitting there eating Cheez-it’s and drinking a beer, probably in my pajamas or something. I really hated that! I wanted to get rid of it but I was throughly overruled. We have since moved and the thing...kind of “got lost in the move”. Haha.

No I wouldn’t expect your mom to allow you to video her at home. And I imagine if she’s that old and still living on her own, that she is very head strong and stubborn. And there’s no way she’d agree to anything like a camera. Lol

I think I’d try to influence the “have a cellphone on your person” angle first. My great aunt woukd not touch a cellphone. She fell and couldn’t reach her cordless (landline) phone. She laid on the floor injured for a day or so.

Most folks these days walk around with a phone in a pocket like there’s nothing to it. That or something like a smart watch might be the better option.

Though a smart watch will have battery/charging challenges, and the phone still needs to be on the person. Some might not accept that...

There is no simple solution. In the long run its better to let your parent live independently as long as possible. The fall thing is common and denotes the end of that. Give them a cell phone and phone them on the cell phone every day. If they enjoy talking with you they will learn to charge the phone. :)

Back