If you had to choose between 5w-20 or 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Truth is no one can show you that 5W-30 actually produces less wear than a 0W/5W-20. There may be a mental safety margin, but there is no documented evidence that the slightly higher viscosity protects better in a Honda engine calling for XW-20. And on the contrary, over the last 2-3 years the anecdotal tendency is to see better wear numbers with XW-20.

There have been no catastrophic failures, no early wear outs, no unusual wear patterns from XW-20 oils in Honda products requiring this SAE viscosity.

I would choose a good XW-20, tell your mates exactly why, and enjoy the more power to the ground and the better MPG.

This post should be placed in a prominent place in this forum and stop the silly 20W vs 30W argument.

CivicFan, the ONLY reason that this arguement still rages on is that most say the only reason Honda specs 5w20 for MOST (again, not ALL) of their engines is strictly CAFE driven, as opposed to the best viscosity for the engine over a given operating range.

Me? I use whatever boutique tickles my fancy at the particular time, and have used xw30's in my Hondas, with NO appreciable notice of power loss, protection loss, or mileage loss for that matter.

But the debate goes on...

I am currently using PP 5W-30 in one Accord, and GC in the other.
I have never noticed any change in fuel economy with any oil on a consistent basis.
Back in the day, Honda recommended 10W-40 for all climate use. The engines wore well, and fuel economy was good.
Finally, there is a thread here where the advantages of a straight SAE 30 are touted, along with some posts about the use of an SAE 20W-20 being common back n the mid 'fifties.
It may be that we are having a how many angels can dance on the head of a pin argument, and viscosity may not matter that much at all.

Was that recommendation for 10w40 in Honda engines back when 10w40 first hit mainstream, and back then was considered "hi-tech"?

I think that you might be on to something with the pin thing though gedcruise.

Quote:

CivicFan, the ONLY reason that this arguement still rages on is that most say the only reason Honda specs 5w20 for MOST (again, not ALL) of their engines is strictly CAFE driven, as opposed to the best viscosity for the engine over a given operating range.

What's wrong with decisions motivated by CAFE directives? It's naive to think that Honda, or any other manufacturer that has built a reputation on high quality and longevity of their vehicles, will sacrifice that image by simply switching to a more viscous oil without any modifications to their engines.

I quit worrying about the brand, weight and OCI part of my oil change routine (Mobil1 0W-20 and 10k miles) a long time ago. The issue comes up again and again with the same recommendations and analysis. A lot of energy is spent on
deadhorse.gif

Hey, I was just throwing in my
twocents.gif

CAFE motivation never really bothered me. In fact, in the dead of winter, I actually enjoy knowing that the thinner stuff will flow and get there faster. Even my 0w30 in there now is a heavy 20 weight at 100C.

The 20 weights work, engines rev nicely, and I do sleep well at night.
approved.gif

There have been some really ugly Honda reports and fuel dilution is usually the culpret. With the tendency for fuel dilution, I would much rather have a 30 weight. Not as much of an issue with the 4cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back