If you could only have one knife for survival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cbear
A good Leatherman or equal multi-tool. If I'm stuck in the woods, I'll need to do more that cut and stab things.

I suppose if you also have guns or other things to work on the leatherman would be good but i take the op to mean a survival situation where you only can have one knife.

There is nothing in the wilderness you would need a screwdriver or pliers for. I would actually take a small sharp hatchet over a knife if that was a choice.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
'99 you were probably breaking the law.

http://www.deweyknives.com.au/klaws.html

When enacted, one of our club members was drawn on in Orange for having a leatherman on his belt. Hasn't stopped stabbings (doctors are now piling in on banning chef's knives..."no-one needs a knife with a point to cook"...like "no person who should be able to shoot at an animal needs any more than a single shot")

Congrats on the trip, those Kingswoods are worth gold now, as they created a "cheap" racing class for the HQ, and subsequently wiped out a heap of them...I would have picked the Torana, same drivetrain, 1,000 lb less.

It's a bit sad, I had pocket knives when I was younger than either of my children...took them to school even.

Good grief. Wake up America, this will be us in a few yrs if something doesn't change.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I like SpyderCo

Me, too.

The first SpyderCo I bought gave me a "love bite" while I was still in the store when I took it out of the package and ran my thumb over it. It was love ever afterwards.

Originally Posted By: Pete C.
I still haven't figured out what good that blade is? I can see the usefulness or the serations but what's with that tip?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
what do you think of this? http://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Recon-I-Tanto--6886

Designed for easy penetration, but it is a fighting profile, certainly not one for hunting or survival. The serrations are also not good for this type of use, IMHO.

As a youngster I used to spend a lot of time out in the woods. My knife was an all black Kabar with none of the fancy USMC badging. It served well through many years of abuse. The only time I found a need to borrow a leatherman to do something the Kabar wouldn't was when I wanted to untie a knot instead of cutting it. The Kabar was better for cooking, cutting (cloth, rope, meat, small trees, parachute cord, whatever,) hammering, digging, and yes, was even a better screwdriver.

The Kabar is strong, can do a lot of things it doesn't look like it's designed to do, and is easy to sharpen. You can easily get one for under $100. The down side is that it's not a pair of pliers and it doesn't fold down for easy carrying.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
way expensive.

Not really all that much over the budget. You always pay a little more for a quality tool. The fallkniven has what you look for in a survival knife. It is heavy and wide enough to chop and hammer with. It also keeps a very nice edge. I used mine to clean, skin and quarter two old bull elk last season. Some light touch-up with a quality steel and it is ready to go again this weekend.

4_falkniv_3_1.jpg

4_falkniv_1_1.jpg

4_falkniv2_1.jpg

For a good little knife look at the MORA knives. They are cheap(10-12 bucks) enough that you can put one in the glove boxes of all of your vehicles plus one in all of your bug-out bags.
Very sharp and very handy.

4_morakniv_1.jpg

Kabar which is what I carry, only change is I'd want a synthetic sheath because leather rots over time.

I have used mine to chop wood, clean deer, clean fish, eat dinner, and as hammer in a pinch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back