How to remove a stuck recessed aerator in a Delta faucet.

Delta Faucets are famous for using recessed aerators where you use a plastic key that meshes with the aerator and allows it to be unscrewed. These aerators can get plugged with time. However if calcium builds up in the threads it’s very difficult to unscrew. The quick solution is to drill a hole in it and the force a screwdriver in it and try rotate it counter clockwise. It that doesn’t work use a tapered paring knife and jam it in. It will cut a grove in the plastic and allow the knife to rotate it. I actually tried a left hand bit but it didn’t unscrew it. The toughest part is to find a low clearance drill that has room to fit in the sink. Here are a few shots.

38262EDA-1B54-48A8-B386-164FFF9A95BB.jpeg
B05A3113-62D9-4E1C-ADF6-B9CEB8BD45B3.jpeg
A01299B1-6B16-426B-A4FB-C27A42F4F13D.jpeg
06C7BA0E-489A-4BD4-BB37-0C09852EF517.jpeg
3B6EBB15-6C16-4CBF-9AD0-71E379C60501.jpeg

Last edited:
Soak it with WD-40. This can actually break some of the calcium bond. It that doesn't work make a solution of 50% water and vinegar in a small plastic bag. Slip the bag over the spout to immerse the end and tie it up with a rubber band. Let it soak for and hour or so and see what happens. Good luck.

Soak it with WD-40. This can actually break some of the calcium bond. It that doesn't work make a solution of 50% water and vinegar in a small plastic bag. Slip the bag over the spout to immerse the end and tie it up with a rubber band. Let it soak for and hour or so and see what happens. Good luck.
Did that with mine to no avail. I had some pretty harsh minerals coming directly from the limestone mountain behind my house but for a more normal application those are good recommendations.

There are in reality few problems a massive application of force will not solve. Kudos to you.

(I don’t like messing around with half meaures, either.) ;)

I use a pair of scissors with fine points on the ends when that happens… about once every 3-4 months from calcium and iron build up. The scissors make for a decent makeshift key and doesn’t absolutely destroy the aerator.

Then I throw it into some 50/50 CLR/hot water and forget about it for a few hours.

At first I had used a metal pick to grab the threaded black plastic section, tearing up some of the plastic, however I didn’t need to do that. The paring knife cut into the white plastic that was remaining after drilling it out and there was no risk of damaging the threads in the faucet. The bottom shot shows all the parts after drilling out the aerator. Make sure the drain plug is in the closed position, because the parts will come flying out the first time you turn the water on after the outer aerator body is rotated out.

14C6D25D-ADA3-438F-9B27-1C4F0950EBB9.jpeg
FCC7A868-7866-41A7-8966-CA0A151C7D56.jpeg

Last edited:
I did another Delta faucet in the same manner. However, this time, rotating with the knife did not get the aerator moving. The solution this time was to use a pick and needle nose pliers to grab hold of the plastic threaded section by prying it away from the internal wall of the faucet end, and grabbing it with the needle nose pliers. The grey plastic comes out, and then the white plastic piece is wobbly and needs to be aligned a bit and it fall out. Then simply turn on the tap and the two plastic disks will be forced out. Screw in a new aerator.

AFAF8452-D432-4AFA-80AF-DA4C28EFCC7D.jpeg

Hey Snag! Call Delta, they very well may give/send you a new replacement part for free if your faucet is no too old. Moen and Kohler have sent me free replacement parts, Moen sent me 2 mixing valve cartridges that cost over $100.00 USD each! Kohler sent me a hot/cold connector for kitchen sink faucet. I think Delta warranties for life also.

I have all Delta faucets in my house that was built in 1998. All of them carry a lifetime warranty on parts and finish. Over the years I have replaced various parts and never had an issue getting them for free and they arrived in just a few days...

Thanks for the ideas on the warranty parts. I get freee cartridges at Home Depot courtesy of the Delta rep but not the aerators. Also, staff tell me the Moen rep keeps the parts supplied on a regular basis but the Delta rep keeps running out.

Reactions: hrv
If you would have called delta, they would send you the tool for free. If you had the right tool, it would have come off easily. They come with the faucet and are thrown away by cleanup crews or the homeowner or installer, and one of these is you.:p

If you would have called delta, they would send you the tool for free. If you had the right tool, it would have come off easily. They come with the faucet and are thrown away by cleanup crews or the homeowner or installer, and one of these is you.:p
Normally yes, but after 12 years, this thing was in there solidly. I had the tool but it wouldn't turn. I even had a plumber buddy try but no luck.

Back