How often to change oil in unused portable generator?

I have a Champion 8250w portable generator and its a backup to my standby generator, or if someone needs to use it. I drain the carb every time its ran (Also has a tri-fuel kit on it) and I rotate the gas in the tank every 6 months. I say I will change the oil every year, but recently just let it go to 2 years because I'm lazy. Oiled visually looked fine

How long can I get away with with leaving the oil in there, or am I playing a dangerius game?

Engine currently has 8 hours on it (It did get its break in change at 5 hours, and it was filthy!)

I'd leave it a few years also; my father had a seldom used snowblower and first changed the oil after 10 years, some years no use @ all; no issues with the motor when i changed the oil.

Good deal, I'll give 2 years then. It doesn't hold a ton of oil so its not a huge deal, but yearly just seems like a waste when it got maybe 20 mins of runtime just to blow the cobwebs out

I change the oil and fuel every year.
Treat with Stabil and a bit of 2-stroke in each tank.
Run to introduce new treated fuel.
I never leave the carb empty. I spray with fogging oil and shut down.
Every carb I've ever had issues with was empty and the problems
occur to to the residue that dried fuel leaves (white residual powder)
somehow blocking the small ports in the carb.

I have three portable air-cooled gens. Because they get infrequent use (other than "exercise" twice a year for 30 mins each), I only change the oil every 4th or 5th year. They probably accumulate maybe 10 hours in 5 years, each, give or take a bit. The oldest unit is 25 years old (Coleman 5kw) with a 10hp Tecumseh L-head engine. The two others are newer OHV inverter units. Not one of them has ever given me any sense that the long duration OCIs are an issue. I use 10w-30 syn in these because they are stored in a barn and I may have to pull start them below zeroF. I've found this to be reasonable and yet safe.

If you avoid ethanol enhanced fuel I bet this residue in your carb will go away. My Wen has auto shutdown and drains the carb. I use E0 and haven’t had any issues in several years and over 700 hours of use.

Just my $0.02

Are you using E0 and experiencing this?

Never had that issue in my area. It's so hot the fuel evaporates from the carb before the white residue occurs if you have a shutoff valve

I would love E0, but nowhere close has it. So far I've not had any ill effects in any of my stuff from E10 or whatever it is now

I have multiple generators that seldom get used anymore. I change the oil about every 5 years. I leave them empty of fuel, run dry, and keep 15 or 20 gallons of stabilized fuel in sealed tight fuel cans and rotate that fuel every 18 to 24 months by dumping that fuel in my truck and refilling fuel containers. Never an issue.

I would love E0, but nowhere close has it. So far I've not had any ill effects in any of my stuff from E10 or whatever it is now
It can be had for a premium and not just at Home Cheapo.
Screenshot_20230906-075422.jpg

Are you using E0 and experiencing this?
I remember when I was a little
If you avoid ethanol enhanced fuel I bet this residue in your carb will go away. My Wen has auto shutdown and drains the carb. I use E0 and haven’t had any issues in several years and over 700 hours of use.

Just my $0.02
That white residue is aluminum oxide from the carb

I have a Champion 8250w portable generator and its a backup to my standby generator, or if someone needs to use it. I drain the carb every time its ran (Also has a tri-fuel kit on it) and I rotate the gas in the tank every 6 months. I say I will change the oil every year, but recently just let it go to 2 years because I'm lazy. Oiled visually looked fine

How long can I get away with with leaving the oil in there, or am I playing a dangerius game?

Engine currently has 8 hours on it (It did get its break in change at 5 hours, and it was filthy!)
quite a few small engines in use around the world have never had their oil changed.. so I'm pretty sure you are in no danger and are going to be quite OK

Draining the carb is the main thing.
If the oil looks new, don't change it.
Use ethanol free pump gas, only use the canned sht if no bulk pump gas is available.

Draining the carb is the main thing.
If the oil looks new, don't change it.
Use ethanol free pump gas, only use the canned sht if no bulk pump gas is available.
Whether it's e10 or e0 it's still going to gum up if it sits in the carb. My dad had a jet ski in the late 90s that always needed the carbs cleaned and I'm pretty sure they didn't have ethanol back then. Why? because it would go like 4 months and never get used

I would store gas in it at all if it is tri-fuel. Drain it and leave it dry. Get some marine fogging oil and spray some down the spark plug hole, turn it over a few times, put the plug back in and put the piston at TDC. Then forget about it until you need it.

Back