If oil is changed only once a year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Engine manufacturers recommending annual OCIs typically suggest changing in the Spring

Thats what I had just said. Thanks DH for posting that.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Sorry for my response to the OP. I swear I think I would have a stroke if I posted something and no one immediately jumped in to disagree with it.

You don't know how many times I have felt like that in so many circumstances on so many message boards. It's like we're always wrong. So stupid. It's a psychological problem for me becuase it's happened so often for so long. I see a psychiatrist for that. Among other things, lol.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Interesting. I'd change right before the harshest weather (Winter). You want max lube when you need it most. That's clean oil.

I'm not sure about the rigidity of 'only once a year'. Clean oil is cheap insurance, think miles, too.

Hi, cold wintry weather degrades oil. You don't want degraded oil in your car for many, many months. That's why it's recommended to change the oil in the Spring after winter if you change oil just once a year.

I used to change in spring and fall, now it's only spring, usually May before it gets hot...

My truck gets changed once a year, about 4+-5,000 miles, usually late October. It runs 12 months a year. My car I change every 2 years in late October. This car is garaged in the winter. It mainly sees highway driving. It's our vaction car and usually sees yearly ~3,400 vacation highway miles and some +10 mile trips in the non winter temps. I use a full synthetic for the car and Motorcraft blend for the truck.

Whimsey

I have been doing annual oil changes for many years and do them in October. This has worked well for me for the past 12 to 13 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back