If my car is burning oil would UOA and OCI matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my cars is a 01 Honda Accord 2.3L I4.

It has 100k miles and is driven 60/40 higway/city.

My car uses about 1/2 quart per 1250 miles, with no smoke, no leaks; from what I understand, pretty common with this car.

My questions..

1) Would a UOA/TBN be accurate? Wouldn't the oil just keep adding the additives to protect the engine?

2) Should I still adhere to a 5-7k OCI? Currently I'm using M1 0-20, but have PP 0/5-20 and MC 5-20 blend as well; currently using M1 filter as well.

3) Since my car is burning oil anyway, should I just stick to a cheaper dino/oil filter? High Mileage oil any benefit?

4) would a heavier weight oil, say 0-30 or 5-30 remedy the oil burning?

Thanks in advance!

My opinion, as my car burns a little oil as well (1Q/1200mi)

1) why bother with a UOA, your car has 100K miles on it, you must be doing something right, plus you use excellent oil. Waste of money in my opinion.

2)Yes, or even increase it, as the additives in the new oil renew the mix somewhat.

3)My car has 12 years and 150k miles on it of hard city driving, frequent redlining, bumper to bumper traffic, AND it is an engine that is notorious for sludge (1MZ-FE). Nevertheless it has only seen cheap dino and filters its whole life and is still running great. I'd go with the regular dino oil.

4)Yes, it does with mine, anyway. Try 10W30, as your oil burning is more or less insignificant.

1) TBN is accurate, and would reflect the additional TBN boost do to constant refilling.

1a) If the engine is burning oil, (most likely through PVC system) and not leaking, then then most contamination particles that do not volatize will remain in the crankcase and remain in the UOA readings. As such, metal readings will be correct.

2) 0W oils have higher volatility than 5W oils. I'd start by changing to a 5W20 to see if your oil consumption reduces.

3) No. Synthetic oils burn much more cleanly and with less deposits. A dino would cause a significant increase in deposit formation. I'd say with a synth or synth-blend.

4)Start with a 5W20 and monitor your consumption. If it is still about the same, then I'd go to a 5W30 or 10W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back