If money is no object . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be some of the better oil and filter combinations for a Chevy 2500HD w/ the 6.0L engine driven in moderate to heavy driving conditions in the South? I don't plan on extending my drains past the Chevy computer or 7,500 miles. I don't guess a regular filter would work much longer anyway? Would an engine like the 6.0L ever see any benefits from using a specialty synthetic like a Redline, etc? GM recommends 5W-30. Thanks.

If money were no object, I would hire a reputable formulator to custom formulate a fully synthetic set of fluids for my vehicles including my His/Hers Hummer.

Wife always did want a Pink Hummer!
grin.gif

Ken2, you mentioned Schaeffer's superior additive package (BTW that's the type of oil I've been using on my previous truck) I experienced some oil usage (about 1/2 quart per 3K miles) same 6.0L engine. could have been the PCV Valve or something, I saw a TSB on this. Ended up selling it and getting a new one. Back to Schaeffer's, is its additive package superior to redline's, which i've read has a good additive package. just curious. thanks. btw, i meant "money as no object" only figuratively, meaning if i could afford full niche sythetic blends then are they really worth it.

I think Schaeffer's add pac will do the job and the price is right, especially if you extend the drain interval to the max allowed by GM (to protect your warranty). Who knows if Redline's add pac is equal, better, or not as good for this particular application? I do doubt that it's worth the price for you.

Ken

I agree, Schaeffer's blends (either 5w30 or 10w30) would work very well in this engine, and I believe the longer 51522 Wix filter fits this engine perfectly (if it's the LS1 based 6.0 engine)

If your wife would like a Pink HUMMER, just paint it pink, and say here you go honey.
Sorry, it's been a long day.
wink.gif

If money were no object I would determine my engine oil choice on the dyno. If the engine wore out...I would buy a new one
grin.gif

I don't plan on extending my drains past the Chevy computer or 7,500 miles.
GM recommends 5W-30. Thanks. [/QB][/QUOTE]

According to your plan, and good fiscal sense, because money is always the object (even for those who have been able to earn fortunes, that is how they earned them), I would say:
1) There is nothing WRONG with 5W-30 oil, some seem to still be stuck back in the early 80's when this multigrade was getting owner's manual recommendation,
2) If you want the best in the store off the shelf for 7,000 mile drains I would say go with Mobil 1,
3) If you find that you are doing 3,000 or so intervals, then Pennzoil, Havoline (Chevron brand) or Chevron regular would do you just fine.

Good Day,
Steven
patriot.gif

patriot.gif
patriot.gif

Schaeffer synthetic blend, and hope that their superior additive package minimized the cylinder wall wear from piston slap. What's the highest viscosity engine oil allowed by the owner's manual?...10W-30 or just 5w-30? I'd rather use the 10W-30.
http://www.pistonslap.com/

Ken

I would use Schaeffer's 10w30 Series 7000 semi-syn with an AC Delco filter. This combination should carry you and your truck to your Golden years.

quote:

Originally posted by tbrog:
What would be some of the better oil and filter combinations for a Chevy 2500HD w/ the 6.0L engine driven in moderate to heavy driving conditions in the South? I don't plan on extending my drains past the Chevy computer or 7,500 miles. I don't guess a regular filter would work much longer anyway? Would an engine like the 6.0L ever see any benefits from using a specialty synthetic like a Redline, etc? GM recommends 5W-30. Thanks.

If I had all the money around, I'd still use 15w-40 dino HDMO's...either Rotella, Delo, or Delvac with the biggest filter I could find for that particular engine.

The thing is a stock motor doesn't have high valve spring pressures , so in using Redline in the engine isn't necessary,Amsoil is all that would be needed in the worse case and with the moderate length of oil change mileage using a top rated petro ar M1 oil would get the job done Don't forget the differentials and the transmission the perfect places to use the synthetic and premium petro oils. use amsoil 7,500 mile changes if you want to spend extra$$ anymore oil is not needed IMO.M1 5,000 mile changes for heavy use . shorter oil changes are just an insurance to me.

[ April 18, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back