Idle drops then recovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Chevy Aveo with 207K+ miles, standard transmission. The car normally idles around 800rpm. Recently, when I have a lot of accessories running, (lights, fan on high, wipers, etc) when I slow down to come to a stop and push in the clutch the idle drops to around 500-600 rpm and then recovers to normal 800 rpm within a few seconds. It only started doing this recently. With no or low accessory load this doesn't happen. Other than this the car runs perfectly.

Any ideas?
Could this be a failing IAC valve?

No codes. Runs absolutely perfectly besides this. And this only occurs under high alternator loads. (No AC in this vehicle.)

I replaced the throttle body sometime after 150K miles. (Probably around 170-180K miles but unfortunately I didn't write it down and can't find the receipt for the OEM GM part I paid $330 for.) The TPS and IAC are non removable components of the throttle body so they were replace relatively recently.

Last edited:
Try cleaning the TB if that doesn't help its time to put a scan tool on it. Don't start throwing parts at it, something like this can sometimes be a very simple thing.

Thanks.

It's a fly by wire system. Is it safe to push the throttle plate open to get in there to clean it? Or just take it off and clean from both sides?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back