Idle curiousoty, who make ''Motorcraft'' oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife drives a 2014 Lincoln MKZ, that uses the 5-20 ''Motorcraft'' as she has the dealer service it every 5K miles per Lincoln. [ 3.7 v6, 6 qts. ] I recently got a new 2016 F-150 5.0 and it also calls for the 5-20--every 7,500 miles. This one lists 7.7 qts. capacity, so I will probably actually go the 7,500 miles between OCI and I have always read good ratings on the ''Motorcraft'' oils, just wondering who actually makes it. I am also ''old school'' and will most likely do the first change at 1,500--2,000 miles.............always have.

I used Ford Motorcraft oil in my Lincoln since it had the 40,000 mile service agreement and I kept using it after it ran out. Not saying it's bad oil, but I think there are better oils. Just looking in the valve cover. Castrol seems to keep the cleanest. It also comes out looking the worst. Same people make Motorcraft that make Kendall.

MC 5w-20 was once considered THE sleeper oil. Ford wanted to be sure people were using it in newer cars (instead of 5W- or 10W-30) so they launched it with a really low price. Once it and other 5W-20s became more accepted, they raised the price quite a bit, so, while it's still a great robust oil, it isn't the killer deal it once was.

Thanks for the info, guys. I had a knee that was arthritic, replaced 3-4 weeks ago, we have used dealer service for the last year or so, as I was not physically able to crawl under the autos. [ 72 yo,, first time ever for not doing my own ] This pickup is the FX4 and I understand it has skid plated that need to be removed to get to the filter--- have not looked yet though-- that would be too much for me for a while yet. If the MC is good enough for the MKZ--- it is good enough for the truck. Retired and it won't get a lot of mileage, used and abused, just an old man driving like an old man.

Hi...Good luck with your knee i hope it heals well. It's amazing what they can do these days with knees.. Motorcraft is regarded as a good oil and last time i checked it was made by Conoco Phillips ..It is not so cheap anymore and there are other great oil out there cheaper in some cases. I now use Mobil 1 in my vehicles it is on sale at wal mart with a $12.00 rebate great well respected synthetic oil at a good price sold almost everywhere.
By the way Welcome to BITOG !!

Yup, Conoco Phillips is the supplier, and MC is a very good blend oil. Use it with confidence!

I knew that before I became a BITOG member, the MC quart bottles were the same as the Conoco quart bottles, just different coloring and labeling. Conoco also makes the O'Reilly's store brand oils as well.

I'll go by Walmart and pick up some M1 EP and filters, while the rebate is still going. M1 5-30 was all I used in my previous Z-71, 141K and ran like a top. I will eventually get recovered enough to do my own service on the truck, and have the materials on hand.

I'd go to QuickLane and left them use MC syn-blend oil and an MC filter. Around here they charge $25. A tire rotation is more. Hard to beat that deal and I was going to them for a long time with the Matrix until this past oci.

Since I had to bring it to the Toyota dealer for an airbag recall they did an oil change while it was there. Picked up a Fram Tough Guard for $5.96 and some Maxlife full synthetic 0w20 for $18.50 - $10 rebate = $8.50. I had a coupon for an oil change so they discount the labor. So the total bill was $7.96. Total for oil change was $23 after rebate.

Yeah, we use ''The Works'' coupons, always online, for the Ford dealer oil change with the Lincoln, $39.95. I will use this for my truck until I can walk, get more agile after my knee replacement. About the last thing I need to do now, is get ''on my knees''.

There are plenty of guys on the Mustang forums running Motocraft oil in there 5.0 GT's mostly 5w20 and track pack cars running Motorcraft 5w50 full synthetic. Most are not easy on there cars with many driving them like they stole them every day. No one seems to complain about the Motorcraft oil that I have seen and mine runs fine on the 5w20 and I'm quite sure I drive my Mustang harder then your wife drives her Lincoln.

I clicked onto the link member wemay provided. I noticed ConocoPhillips makes a re-refined motor oil that is part synthetic. Anyone ever use this before or know anything about it?
21.gif

MC is great oil...but over priced imho. Not any better than vwb, qsgb, pyb etc but now substantially more expensive unfortunately. Price aside, its good stuff and id worry not with it in my sump

Nobody mentioned tropartic??? I am under the impression that is the same as mc synblend. I have been using tropartic 5w-20 for years. Sams club has cases for what works out to $2.30/qt. Orsheln farm and home has sales that bring it down to $1.99.

There is an oil distributor around the corner from my house I think i can get coastal semisyn in a 5 gal bucket for about $1.80/qt, I may switch to that. Ive got two gm service vans that take 5w-30 and a honda that takes 5w-20, i have been using tropartic in all with no issues. Usually about a 6k interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back