Idemitsu

Hello,
I have a 2019 Acura RDX Turbo and am considering using Idemitsu Motor oil due to the Japanese OEM technology they use. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with this oil?
Thanks

I've used it a couple of times in my Mitsubishi. Bought it from AZ when they cleared some out. Very good oil. I'd use it regularly if it were priced right.

I don't understand all of the differences between the different moly types, but from what I understand from some of the petroleum engineer types on the site, if you see an oil with hundreds of parts per million of moly then it's the type that's been used quite a while as an additive. Apparently there are some newer (better?) types than have a lot lower treat rate.

I've run a bunch of it.

I couldn't detect and difference from any other oil in its API rating.

Neither Idemitsu, M1, Valvoline, or Napa did as well as a boutique oil at liberating carbon in my Honda V6.

I don't understand all of the differences between the different moly types, but from what I understand from some of the petroleum engineer types on the site, if you see an oil with hundreds of parts per million of moly then it's the type that's been used quite a while as an additive. Apparently there are some newer (better?) types than have a lot lower treat rate.
When you see high Moly values above 200 ppm, say 400 ppm to 700 ppm, that's usually there to enhance the tribo-layer of the oil in boundary lubrication scenarios by working together with ZDDP, while also reducing friction to improve fuel economy. Other oil formulations use monoelate, which you can't see in a VOA/UOA. Then something like Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 uses a large quantity of proprietary borate esters and no Moly whatsoever to achieve similar outcomes.

That's why it's important to pick motor oil by application, target or desired specifications, license, and OEM approvals, and reputation. When picking motor oil by perception, VOA/UOA analysis found online, and emotional desire or affinity for a certain brand, it can lead to undesirable outcomes, or it simply might work out on the end. But why chance it?

Back