Idemitsu Type M transmission fluid

Below is a conversation that ensued after having asked them about the color of the fluid. The thread starts at the bottom and works up.

In my estimation, the response is kind of vague, but that may be for potential liability concerns. Don't know.

I would really appreciate peoples' take on the it.

-----------------------------------------
Hello,

Many thanks for your response.

I understood.

We recommend a complete flush of the existing fluid prior using Idemitsu ATF Type M in your vehicle for protection and better performance.

Should you have any question regarding this e-mail, please let me know.

Kind regards

Thomas Khondaker

Product Manager - AMO/OES

Cell: +1-248-709-1785

Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation

Sent:
Monday, November 9, 2020 9:41 AM
To: Khondaker, Thomas EMAIL]>
Subject: RE: ATF Type M color

Thanks for the response. But now your telling me that my simple drain and refill with your product could have have a negative effect on my transmission? I can assure you that no one would have an understanding that they should not mix your product with the actual Mazda fluid, by virtue of seeing a different color.

-------- Original message --------

Date: 11/9/20 9:24 AM (GMT-05:00)

To:

Subject: ATF Type M color

Hello

Many thanks for reaching us with your query.

Your point is really interesting. We understand if Idemitsu ATF Type M color is dark blue like Mazda Genuine ATF M5 then the consumer will have peace of mind that he is using the same OE fluid.

I would like to note here that Idemitsu ATF Type M chemistry technology is not same as Mazda Genuine ATF M5. Thus a mixture of those two products would not guarantee the performance and protection for your vehicle.

To help the customers for differentiating Idemitsu ATF Type M from genuine ATF M5 the oil has been dyed as Red.

Should you have any question regarding this e-mail, please let me know.

Kind regards

Thomas Khondaker

Product Manager - AMO/OES

Cell: +1-248-709-1785

Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To Whom It May Concern:

I was curious as to why Idemitsu dyed the Type M red. The Mazda branded MV fluid is dark blue. Typically, the aftermarket keeps to the color of the factory fluids. Same for items such as coolant.

Not true about coolant or even transmission fluid... At times aftermarket coolants and transmission fluids have different colors from original fluids...

Color does not matter... Whether it works correctly with the right additive package is what matters.

Idemitsu CVT fluid is green... Eneos CVT fluid is blue... Amalie CVT fluid is Amber color.

When all is said and done, my real concern came to be whether it can mix with the Mazda stuff, as I had done a simple drain and refill. The tech person said that it has different chemistry but didn't really address my concern.

FWIW, when I switched over to using their H+ in my Honda/Acura vehicles, I never did a 'complete' swap. Just 3qt D&F's. Never had issues, and as discussed elsewhere at length, the chemistries of DW1 and Idemitsu are quite different.

Apples and Oranges I know, but I'm not sure I'd worry about it too much unless you're under warranty and are worried about a claim that would involve them inspecting the fluid.

Well out of warranty. Guess mixing them is bit an issue. Had wondered the same thing about their other fluids and compatibility with the factory stuff.

Mazda MV is blue?

The now-discontinued Ford FNR5 fluid, which I always understood to be the same as Mazda M5, was definitely not blue. Neither is the BeckArnley M5 Fluid I'm using now in my Fusion (which I suspect is just rebranded Idemitsu as no one else makes the stuff).

Now I'm tempted to go buy a quart of M5 from the local Mazda dealer just to see what colour it is.

When we had our Mazda 5 in to the dealership for both power steering and transmission service, they used Mazda MV. It was sort of a deeper red, maybe like beet juice, if I recall. It wasn't bright, glowing crimson like other ATFs. This was a bit over 2 years ago, now.

I always thought Idemitzu M was supposed to be the Mazda MV, just relabeled for Mazda.

Back