Idemitsu Type J instead of Type HP in a 2005 Subaru

My 2005 Outback developed a leak in the ATF cooling line. I stopped at Advance Auto to buy AT fluid without referencing the manual, but specified the make/model/year. The clerk sold me 3 qts. of Idemitsu Type J, two of which went into the transmission. The third quart went in a few weeks later. I put off getting it repaired and purchased a 4th quart a few weeks later. I have had the line repaired, and added the rest of the type J. When looking up the capacity of the AT I discovered that Subaru specifies Type HP, and learned that the Type J is specifically for Nissan/Infiniti. I am concerned that the Type J might be detrimental to the Subaru transmission. Researching I found that both manufacturers specify JASO 1A, and many general AT fluids are compatible with both, such as Castrol Transmax ATF Import Multi-vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid. I consulted with a technical advisor at Idemitsu and he said the Type J will damage the Subaru transmission due to how it reacts with the metals. With the leakage I estimate the transmission has about 1/3 type J and 2/3 of the previous Type HP in it. To flush and replace the AT fluid would cost $225 or more. I am shopping for a later model Outback and will be getting rid of the 2005 so don't want to put any money into it, but do not want to damage it. I tried talking to the manager at the Advance Auto store and he said the specs of the two were so close that it wouldn't make any difference and was unwilling to take ant responsibility. Does anyone have any informed insights into my predicament ? Will the partial Type J harm the transmission, particularly if I am only driving short distances ?

Just did some reading about this as I'm about to do a trans flush on our '05 outback. From what I found the Type J *should* be ok because it's an automatic transmission manufactured by Jatco. That doesn't mean Subaru doesn't specify some kind of odd materials that require some special blend of herbs and spices in the ATF, but there are a few folks that have used Nissan Matic-J in their Subarus without grenading the transmission.

Hell, a dealer somewhere was putting Dexron III in 'em. Brave souls.

I'm not as concerned about what herbs and spices Subaru specifies as I am about what might be added to the Nissan fluid. The Idemitsu website describes Type HP and Type J with the same phrases except for one:
ATF Type HP - Provides superior cleanliness, keeping the transmission free of sludge and varnish deposits
ATF Type J Provides superior deposit control and protects metal surfaces from rust and corrosion
- which implies different additives.

The Subaru manual specifies:
Genuine Subaru Automatic Transmission Fluid
IDEMITSU ATF HP
Castrol Transmax J
Pennzoil ATF-J
or, if your car has the 4 speed automatic you can use Dexron III (I read somewhere that is what originally came in them).
So, the Castrol "J" and Pennzoil "J" seems to be what got the store clerk mixed up.
Still, not knowing much about AT fluid I am also concerned about mixing the Idemitsu Type J with what was already in there. The car is due for a trans flush, but it could eat up a lot of money with all the things it needs before I find my next car.

Welcome to BITOG! :)

You will probably be just fine with the J, especially if the owners manual lists those J fluids. I don't think you will have any problems with it.

And even if there is something wrong with using the J, you can always drain it out and put in something else. Changing the ATF is easy. If you do end up doing the job again, Maxlife is good stuff at a great price.

Back